Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hopefully the coaching tree relationships yields future home and awys with
Maryland
Ohio State
Seton Hall
and maybe even a summer European Tour
I would probably win the lottery before home and homes happen with the 3 you listed.

Summer European tour usually happens.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I may be remembering wrong, but It seems to me that we are always in the position of giving a lower coach in the coaching tree's team a game, but we don't ever seem to get the same courtesy from teams that are higher than us in coaching trees we are related to.

Last edited:

Masonfan3

Starter
I may be remembering wrong, but It seems to me that we are always in the position of giving a lower coach in the coaching tree team a game, but we don't ever seem to get the same courtesy from teams that are higher than is in coaching trees we are related to.
Agree. There is no reason that we shouldn't see Miami on our schedule in the next couple of years. If we don't then Coach L is permanently on my shit list

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Miami (or fill in your favorite P5 team) gains nothing by playing us in Fairfax for reasons outlined on multiple threads on this board's history. I won't rehash that here. I don't like it, but I understand why it doesn't happen.

Its why I'm shocked we don't have the vcu-clause that requires the home-and-home agreement.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Miami (or fill in your favorite P5 team) gains nothing by playing us in Fairfax for reasons outlined on multiple threads on this board's history. I won't rehash that here. I don't like it, but I understand why it doesn't happen.

Its why I'm shocked we don't have the vcu-clause that requires the home-and-home agreement.
What do we gain by playing NJIT?

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That goes to my point. We always seem to be on the giving a favor to coaches of lower teams side of the equation, but don't seem to be getting the same number of favors from from those above us.
i am not a GMU BBall History expert like some of y'all

KE - was he friends with Speedy Claxton - the Hofstra Coach?
and he wasn't here long enough to establish his team to get a game against Missouri, Tulsa, Tennessee
and i doubt if we will get a regular season game vs Providence

DP - i remember an exhibition game vs Johns Hopkins which was coached by his former assistant?
and i dont remember enough of the schedule to know if we played Bucknell

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
That goes to my point. We always seem to be on the giving a favor to coaches of lower teams side of the equation, but don't seem to be getting the same number of favors from from those above us.
Every coach in America schedules a certain number of OOC games against teams it knows it can beat. The reality is we’re not “cupcakey” (not a word) enough to get a game against coaches who see only potential downside in playing Mason.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If you are defining "favor" as us paying NJIT ~$75K to come to EBA to play, then we've gotten favors from UMD, UGA, Auburn, etc. recently.

A home-and-home is a different kind of favor, IMO, and we aren't giving that to NJIT for the same reason Auburn isn't giving us one.

Some schools have done 2 for 1's. Would we be willing to go to Auburn (or some other P5) twice, not get paid for either, but get one home game vs Auburn?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What do we gain by playing NJIT?
A glorified practice that 3000 fans watch and can lightly clap and cheer softly.
i am not a GMU BBall History expert like some of y'all

KE - was he friends with Speedy Claxton - the Hofstra Coach?
and he wasn't here long enough to establish his team to get a game against Missouri, Tulsa, Tennessee
and i doubt if we will get a regular season game vs Providence

DP - i remember an exhibition game vs Johns Hopkins which was coached by his former assistant?
and i dont remember enough of the schedule to know if we played Bucknell
Yes, KE was friendly with Claxton and we bought a game from him last year. That actually was a pretty good buy game all things considered.

DP never scheduled Bucknell, but he did do the game against Hopkins like you said. I think he got us that Home and home against Penn State because he knew the coach or someone, but no idea exactly.

Bottom line its the same thing that many of us have said year after year, Mason has to provide value for a school to do a home and home. It has gotten tougher because of irrelevancy as well as how Power 5s have more conference games and how the NET is set up. There is a lot less incentive for them to do anything but buy games at home and an MTE.

My hope is that we at least can get a new home and home that is exciting, and maybe an extra neutral game in addition to taking a buy game to help make the schedule a little better.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
View: https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1656670154858827778?s=46&t=eRMdRS8JjC0PFiMZyFuCjQ

ODU and UMASS play in the diamondhead classic while we are stuck in the blind and deaf sisters of the great continental divide thanksgiving tournament.
Sick of people saying we need to win more to play in the DHC. GW played last year and they were like 6 games below .500 the year before. UH doesn't exactly burn down the house and this ain't the Maui Invitational. The DHC is a good mid major preseason tourney that we could do well in each year. I'd really love to see Mason play in it while I live here since that might not be forever.

OP
MasonFanatic

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Sick of people saying we need to win more to play in the DHC. GW played last year and they were like 6 games below .500 the year before. UH doesn't exactly burn down the house and this ain't the Maui Invitational. The DHC is a good mid major preseason tourney that we could do well in each year. I'd really love to see Mason play in it while I live here since that might not be forever.
Unfortunately, we got dropped from the tournaments run by ESPN Events, and apparently we need to do something to earn a new invitation. Until then, we're frozen out and stuck with the scrap heap.

OP
MasonFanatic

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
do you know the year? and the cause?
I really don't. I can't recall ever seeing any clear reporting on how ESPN Events operates.

You can go back and look at the schedules and see that we stopped going to the ESPN Events.

I think they typically sign you for x number of years after you make the NCAA tournament. I'm not sure of the details. They do seem to bring in other schools as one-off participants in addition to the schools that are in their events every year. So it's fair to ask ESPN why that can't be us.