2023-24 Schedule

Masonfan3

Starter
There was that rumor a few years ago (might have been longer because I think it was under Paulsen) that we were going to get a h/h with UVA, but I think it fizzled out once Reuter came to Mason.

I'd love for us to get a game like that too, but we all know what it comes back to. I suspect JMU will get back on the schedule at some point and that is more likely than the other two. I don't think VT has played vcu since they got thrashed at the RC, and UVA hasn't done any VA schools in a few years (I'd have to double check though because Bennett was actually pretty good about doing games locally).

Monmouth was my first college basketball team and I still root for them, but if Mason doesn't win by 20 I'll be very concerned. They should be improved with Xander Rice on the team, but they were completely dreadful last year and I don't think anyone expects them to be any good this year.
We had a home and home with UVA 12/13 years ago...

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
View: https://twitter.com/RoccoMiller8/status/1691493425701625857

6 of the 7 didn't surprise me.
I looked up who this list is playing. Lots of neutral site games and cupcakes, as expected. These "challenges" at least provide big games at home (or away) depending on which brand name school's POV you are looking at it from. Good for Kansas and Texas AM for agreeing to go on the road for what I'm assuming are true home-and-homes.

Purdue- a bunch of big neutral site games plus a Gavitt Game home game vs Xavier
UNC- same, big neutral site games plus a SEC/ACC Challenge home game vs Tennessee
Indiana- same, big neutral site games plus a home game vs Kansas that doesnt seem to be part of a challenge or tournament
Ohio St- same, big neutral site games plus a home game vs Texas AM that doesnt seem to be part of a challenge or tournament
vcu- neutral site MTE in Orlando plus home games vs Memphis and Temple
Washington St- some neutral site games (I wouldnt call any of them big) and nobody of note at home
Oklahoma- big neutral site games plus a Big East-Big 12 Battle home game vs Providence

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
A10 needs to step in and help soon, conference really needs them to set up what they tried a few years ago with a MWC/A10 challenge type deal. Not sure why this hasn’t happened yet.
I really don't know why the league hasnt' been successful on making a partnership like that. No reason why there shouldn't be an AAC/A10 challenge or whatever.

I think its funny/interesting how vcu lucked out into only neutral/home games for the nonconf. The home and homes with Temple and Memphis are pretty much their big games, plus the MTE.

The home games other than that include gems like:

McNeese State, Radford, Alcorn State, and Norfolk State.

Obviously their MTE with getting a shot at Iowa State and potentially VT in Orlando could turn out to be great for them. Thats an ESPN related event that Mason hasn't been able to get invited back to in quite a few years.

I honestly haven't seen an A10 team non conf schedule (yet, haven't seen all of them) where I'm like "wow they really have an awesome nonconf".

Last edited:

Old Ram

Preferred Walk-On
I really don't know why the league hasnt' been successful on making a partnership like that. No reason why there shouldn't be an AAC/A10 challenge or whatever.

I think its funny/interesting how vcu lucked out into only neutral/home games for the nonconf. The home and homes with Temple and Memphis are pretty much their big games, plus the MTE.

The home games other than that include gems like:

McNeese State, Radford, Alcorn State, and Norfolk State.

Obviously their MTE with getting a shot at Iowa State and potentially VT in Orlando could turn out to be great for them. Thats an ESPN related event that Mason hasn't been able to get invited back to in quite a few years.

I honestly haven't seen an A10 team non conf schedule (yet, haven't seen all of them) where I'm like "wow they really have an awesome nonconf".

I don’t think you will either. The mid majors are getting the cold shoulder from the P5’s and it’s only going to get worse.

OP
MasonFanatic

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Preseason games, according to Tony Skinn's monthly newsletter:

Oct 23 vs St. Thomas
Oct 27 at WVU

Not sure if those are open to the public or closed scrimmages.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
The power 3 slash 4 conferences will one day convince the NCAA and ESPN/FOX Sports that the NCAA tournament should be power 3 slash 4 conference teams only, and the rest of the conferences will get to play in an expanded NIT B level national championship tournament.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Preseason games, according to Tony Skinn's monthly newsletter:

Oct 23 vs St. Thomas
Oct 27 at WVU

Not sure if those are open to the public or closed scrimmages.
I immediately thought St Thomas was based in the Virgin Islands and started singing the commercial theme song they played from the Paradise Jam.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The power 3 slash 4 conferences will one day convince the NCAA and ESPN/FOX Sports that the NCAA tournament should be power 3 slash 4 conference teams only, and the rest of the conferences will get to play in an expanded NIT B level national championship tournament.
The final game should be the champions from each tournament…think power 3/4 would go for this scheme?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
If they were closed scrimmages I don't think he could announce them bc they are "secret"

"The NCAA used to forbid teams to release anything about these closed-door scrimmages, but now that’s changed."

"NCAA Division 1 basketball rules allow for up to two preseason exhibitions or scrimmages. If the scrimmage is against a fellow Division 1 program, the scrimmage must be closed to the public. A closed scrimmage means no fans or media are allowed and the two schools are not supposed to publicize the results. As a result, media 'writers' have taken to calling these closed scrimmages 'secret scrimmages'. Exceptions to the closed scrimmages have been made by programs seeking to raise money for charity - these games can be played in front of fans/televised as long as the proceeds go to charity.

Teams also have the opportunity to hold preseason exhibitions in front of fans and media against non Division 1 programs."

OP
MasonFanatic

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
They're both exhibitions but Pablo is 100% correct that closed scrimmages can be announced.

Last edited:

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I am wondering about the definition and costs of a charity.

Does Mason get reimbursed for travel expenses?
Does the reimbursement come from Ticket sales?
or is it guaranteed by the charity organization?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I am wondering about the definition and costs of a charity.

Does Mason get reimbursed for travel expenses?
Does the reimbursement come from Ticket sales?
or is it guaranteed by the charity organization?

I doubt it. Maybe WVU athletic department might reimburse Mason, but it’s only a 4 hour drive, and it wouldn’t surprise me if Mason ate the cost because it’s for charity (and a chance to get some good competition).