2023-24 Basketball Season: Hopes, Dreams, Wishes and Analysis

FreeGunston12

All-American
Polite
Maddox
Billups
Haynes
Kelly

If Haynes doesn't get his waiver, I don't know - maybe Hall? Newton? Maybe Henry? Depends on how the coaching staff wants to play as much as the quality of the player.

Biggest surprise is hard for me to say, because I'm really just guessing at everyone's expectations. If you're sleeping on Billups or Kelly, I think they will surprise you. Other than that, I think Pavrette could surprise some people (especially if Haynes doesn't get the waiver). Kid can run well in transition and defend. Could be crucial to playing fast with different lineups.

On a side note, I'm kind of disappointed that Hall lost all that weight. I liked the thought of a big guard that could bang down low. But obviously the coaching staff and Hall have a different plan.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
PG - Ronnie
SG - Billups
SF - Maddox
PF - Hall
C - Kelly

Newton & Malik will come in at the 4 and 5, throw Haynes in there if he can play.

Tre Wood and Ball will get some mins at the guard spots. Dink.... question mark on how he develops... could be a role player or play garbage minutes.

An interesting line-up if want to go big:

PG - Ronnie
SG - Maddox
SF - Hall
PF - Malik
C - Kelly

Billups first off the bench. Newton & Haynes to spell the forwards.
If Haynes gets a waiver, barring injury there is a 0.0% chance he isn’t in the starting 5. Dude is a horse, instantly becomes the second-best center in the league and a legit all-A10 candidate.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'll play.

PG-Ronny
SG - Billups
SF-Maddox
PF- Hall
C - Haynes (if eligible), if not Henry

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Rothstein picked us to finish 13th in the league in 23-24.

Looking forward to our guys making him look like the assclown he is come next March.
Hoping this squad gels by the start of the A-10 conference schedule
if so we enter the A-10 Tourney as the #4 seed

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Looking forward to our guys making him look like the assclown he is come next March.
I’m not surprised. He did the same to Kim when he first started too.

I think 13th is a little extreme but it’s obvious that he isn’t putting much into a new coach a whole new team etc.

What’s funny is that he is buying the hype around St Joes by putting them 3rd. I find that hilarious considering what Lange has done in the a10 to date.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m not surprised. He did the same to Kim when he first started too.

I think 13th is a little extreme but it’s obvious that he isn’t putting much into a new coach a whole new team etc.

What’s funny is that he is buying the hype around St Joes by putting them 3rd. I find that hilarious considering what Lange has done in the a10 to date.
Jonny loooooves him some Billy Lange, thinks he’s just dreamy even though Billy wouldn’t know competent defense if it walked up to him on the street and shook his hand.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023

Gotta love the time and effort he put into that article, must have pulled it together in a post-Pasta Sunday comatose.

Keyshawn Henry?
Austin Ball apparently doesn't exist.
Justin Begg a key newcomer for this season?

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Gotta love the time and effort he put into that article, must have pulled it together in a post-Pasta Sunday comatose.

Keyshawn Henry?
Austin Ball apparently doesn't exist.
Justin Begg a key newcomer for this season?
Imagine what he will do when he finds out Begg is a 24 and that Keyshawn and Malik didn’t have a baby… The Spiders will surely jump us.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Roster is set, schedule is pretty much set -- what are folks expectations going into this season? Realistically where are you thinking the win/loss total and conference standing will shake out?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Can’t project anything until we find out whether Haynes (and Newton to a lesser degree) is getting a waiver.

Was just about to say the same thing. If Haynes doesn’t get a waiver, offensive production out of the front court could be uneven. If Newton doesn’t get a waiver, I think Ball will get more chance to show what he can do as a freshman.

And even beyond that, I can’t make any kind of predictions until I see how we are actually going to play (especially what the half court offense and defense looks like if our pressure gets broken), how the team lines up, and what certain players look like on the floor (specifically Hall, Billups, Kelly, and Henry).

What I’m hoping for is a defense that actually makes the other team uncomfortable and disrupts what they’re trying to do, something we haven’t seen in over 10 years.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Can’t project anything until we find out whether Haynes (and Newton to a lesser degree) is getting a waiver.
Let's play the game with both predictions, because it sure as hell beats discussing Cricket in July:

Best case (they both get a waiver)
Worst case (neither get a waiver, although I tend to agree that I don't think Newton will be a massive difference maker in overall W/Ls).

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Roster is set, schedule is pretty much set -- what are folks expectations going into this season? Realistically where are you thinking the win/loss total and conference standing will shake out?
I really have no clue. We could be surprisingly good, or we could be 13/14 as some pundits have stated. How's that for being non committal? IF Haynes is eligible I like our chances to surprise. IF Maddux and Hall play up to expectations we could be top 4. If they display the lackluster attitude I saw at summer league we're a cluster f&ck. Too many variables with this team. Will they gel and buy into Tony's system? Will we establish an identity that we have lacked these past 12 years? Will we actually press and give opponents 40 minutes of hell? Damn good or inconsistent at best. The 24-25 season I will have different expectations across the board. In any event if we win game one I'll predict a National Championship. After our first loss I'll proclaim that all is lost. ;)

IMO, we avoid PIG with surprising ease and finish in the 6-8 range. Offense goes and rides on Maddox finding form. If he does, we're a pushing for a top 4 team, if not, prepare for PIG in Brooklyn.

As non-con is shaking out, anything more than 4-5 losses would be pretty f**kin grim imo. But also we're gonna be such a new unit we may end up being one of those rare teams that ends up worse in non-con than in conference play. Hopes and vibes are generally high from me however.