2023-24 Basketball Season: Hopes, Dreams, Wishes and Analysis

DRK331

Starter
I'm excited to see this 2-2-1 full court press.

When was the last time a Mason team did a full court press as a focal point of the defense?

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Pretty sure never unless you call whatever Westhead ran as “defense” lol

Was about to say the same thing! The scramble defense was Coach L’s change of pace (done to perfection against UNC in the second round), but never the focal point of what he was trying to do.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Was about to say the same thing! The scramble defense was Coach L’s change of pace (done to perfection against UNC in the second round), but never the focal point of what he was trying to do.
Even knowing we’re gonna have to live with giving up some easy baskets — every team that relies on heavy ball pressure does — I am fired up at the thought of a Mason team that is truly committed to making the opponent uncomfortable when it has the ball.

Just as we’ve watched with dread as vcu’s length and physicality so often inevitably suffocated our offense, being able to do that to other teams would be amazing.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Even knowing we’re gonna have to live with giving up some easy baskets — every team that relies on heavy ball pressure does — I am fired up at the thought of a Mason team that is truly committed to making the opponent uncomfortable when it has the ball.

Just as we’ve watched with dread as vcu’s length and arm smacking like someone took away their big macs so often inevitably suffocated our offense, being able to do that to other teams would be amazing.
FTFY

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Just as we’ve watched with dread as vcu’s length and physicality so often inevitably suffocated our offense, being able to do that to other teams would be amazing.
It will also be nice to be the team that benefits from "playing aggressively" on defense and forces the refs hand by either having to let some stuff go or risk the game being a whistle fest. I've always thought vcu benefitted greatly from this. The only downside is that it can be a problem in NCAA tourney games, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Any word on anything? Hangnail report? What the team had for lunch last Sunday? I need something!!!!! LOL.
It'll be a moot point it if we win because ultimately that is what I care about most -- but one of the biggest things I'll miss about KE's style of running the program was how open it was to fan engagement. Offseason was much more interesting.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Any word on anything? Hangnail report? What the team had for lunch last Sunday? I need something!!!!! LOL.
Seems like the kids are on a bit of a break since fall semester starts in another week or so. I know there were some practices the end of July but haven't heard anything in a few weeks.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Since we're all so desperate for anything b-ball related the roster page is updated. Baraka will wear #3. Still need a few pictures to make it final but a crumb is a crumb.

How about some PR? Tony Skinn was handing out donuts on the first day of class:

View: https://twitter.com/GMUGiantKiller/status/1693625313333260668

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
View: https://twitter.com/SBUnfurled/status/1699519825003827373/photo/1

Rosters for every Atlantic 10 team, including 126 player ratings and the Top 25 players, based on last season's U-Rate:

F5XnP5GXYAAY2hV

psyclone

Hall of Famer

Junkees9

Sixth Man
I assume the asterisk next to Jalen Haynes (transfer year in residence) means he has to sit out a year before he can play?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Thought I’d Throw this out there as it’s nice to see someone outside a homer perspective say something nice: View: https://twitter.com/mid_madness/status/1700366217247101193

I see a lot of potential too, but a lot of questions going into the season so can understand the skepticism.
Really the only question is whether a first-time coach can get a bunch of new players to function cohesively. Because we have an experienced roster — I have no doubt there is more than enough talent to compete in the A-10.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I assume the asterisk next to Jalen Haynes (transfer year in residence) means he has to sit out a year before he can play?
Numbers are all based on last year and he wasn't at GMU last season

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm nit familiar with the ratings. Where did they come from? Is the scale from 0-10? Are they data-based, or ratings of writers (or a single "expert") who follows Div 1 mbb? What is "U-Rate"?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
From what I could gather

Haynes- needs to sit, no waiver.
Newton- tbd.

No idea how accurate or up to date it is.