2023-24 Basketball Season: Hopes, Dreams, Wishes and Analysis

Alright, the roster is completed for the upcoming season. It is set and done.

Who do people think is the starting 5, our X-factor player, and possible biggest surprise?

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Alright, the roster is completed for the upcoming season. It is set and done.

Who do people think is the starting 5, our X-factor player, and possible biggest surprise?
Starting 5? I really have no clue but at this point I would guess:
Polite
Billups
Maddox
Haynes (If he gets the waiver). Hall or Henry if not.
Kelly

Possible surprise for me is Austin Ball. I think he may play more than most expect. Luke Hancock Part 2?
Baraka Okojie may also play more than a typical frosh.

We do have the potential to match up with just about everyone we play. We can be big and powerful. We can be big and athletic. We can play small ball. My one concern is free throw shooting. Like last year we don't have great percentages in this area. Hurry up November!!!!!!

Last edited:

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Preseason rankings are soooo impossible to do nowadays with transfers.

My starting 5:

PG -Ronnie (lock)
G - Maddox (lock)
G - Billups for defense or Hall for offense
F - Haynes (lock if eligible)
C - Kelly

If Haynes is not eligible, will be toss up on who those minutes go to - Newton/Hall/Pavrette/Henry - and we are probably going to be figuring it out throughout the OOC.

So much flexibility with the different skill sets. I see the toss up guys' minutes as being dependent on the offensive production of the lock players - do we need more shooting/offense or do we need more defense/rebounding?

Gonna be fun to watch.

X - factors would be Newton and Billups - both have huge upsides if they can improve their shooting numbers.

Biggest surprise - for me it would be Ball if he can crack the rotation and provide a solid contribution (not because of lack of talent/potential but because he is a freshman and the experience of rest of the roster)

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Starting 5

PG — Polite
SG — Billups (his defense and rebounding will keep him on the floor)
SF — Maddox
PF — Hall (good luck guarding him, A-10)
C — Haynes, if no waiver Kelly

X factor — Newton. At his best, he essentially gives us a sixth starter. Good chance he’s the most talented sixth man in the league. A legit 6-9 who is comfortable playing away from the basket, huge mismatch potential.

Question mark — Can Ball guard enough to earn legit minutes? His offense is already there, but with such a veteran roster it’s gonna be tough for a freshman to keep up defensively.

I readily acknowledge I’m a homer, but if Haynes gets a waiver this is a team that can win the most wide-open A-10 in a generation. League is way down and no dominant teams equals a great opportunity. Can’t wait for November.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
PG - Ronnie
SG - Billups
SF - Maddox
PF - Hall
C - Kelly

Newton & Malik will come in at the 4 and 5, throw Haynes in there if he can play.

Tre Wood and Ball will get some mins at the guard spots. Dink.... question mark on how he develops... could be a role player or play garbage minutes.

An interesting line-up if want to go big:

PG - Ronnie
SG - Maddox
SF - Hall
PF - Malik
C - Kelly

Billups first off the bench. Newton & Haynes to spell the forwards.