Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
41m

According to this breakdown, 54.7% of the freshmen, sophomores, and juniors who entered the transfer portal didn't have a new school as of six days ago.

Quote Tweet

zyLTlm8h_normal.jpg

Transfer Portal for Playing Time

@TP4PT
· May 17

2021-22 Transfer Portal Breakdown

Freshman: 378 D1 players are still in the portal, 698 total went in.

Sophomores: 221 D1 players are still in the portal, 439 total went in.

Juniors: 233 D1 players are still in the portal, 488 total went in. #TP4PT #TransferPortal

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
41m

According to this breakdown, 54.7% of the freshmen, sophomores, and juniors who entered the transfer portal didn't have a new school as of six days ago.

Quote Tweet

zyLTlm8h_normal.jpg

@TP4PT
· May 17

Juniors: 233 D1 players are still in the portal, 488 total went in. #TP4PT #TransferPortal
Would love to see stats on how many went into the portal voluntarily and how many were given no choice. There are a lot of young men who aren’t gonna get to finish the free education they started because they weren’t developing quickly enough to suit their coach. That’s the ugly part of this whole thing.

College basketball is a dirty, dirty business.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
41m

Quote Tweet

zyLTlm8h_normal.jpg

@TP4PT
· May 17

once the Covid kids get thru the system this number decreases by 5 to 20%

but there still is not enough scholarship slots for the number of players who want to transfer

i'd bet that if there were a ranking/evaluation system that 99% of the top 100 players found a new team
and that 99% of the bottom 100 players did not

for those that transfererd voluntarily there needs to be some kind of service which gives them an honest evalution of where the stand in terms of their abilities, as well as a reading of the total avaliable scholarship slots and at what levels those slots exist

and I have no idea of what to do about those forced out athletes unless scholarships were to come with minimum performance standards

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I believe the PAC 12 now guarantees scholarships for 4 years so long as the student-athlete stays academically eligible. I don’t know if that holds if they leave the team or not.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I believe the PAC 12 now guarantees scholarships for 4 years so long as the student-athlete stays academically eligible. I don’t know if that holds if they leave the team or not.
there have been multiple transfers out of the Stanford men's and now women's programs - besides Grad Transfers and men leaving for the NBA draft

and because the scholarships begin in the summer there are some athletes who complete their degrees in 3 years and move on - Hall of Famer Mike Mussina is the first one that comes to mind

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

D1 Basketball Transfers:​

2012: 578​

2013: 672​

2014: 752​

2015: 829​

2016: 800​

2017: 904​

2018: 883​

2019: 987​

2020: 1012​

2021: 1723​

2022 Transfers To Date: 1702​

1)

2)

3) look at how many of the GMU transfers out went to lesser schools/conferences
and the opposite for the transfers in

4) do a sort on the file and you will see that there are a large number of players with no offers - most are 2 stars with a smattering of 3, 4 and 5 star rankings

i wonder if schools like GWU, with a late coaching hire could put together a decent roster with the available 3 star and higher players?

5) Someone on the Board mentioned this fact - there are a whole lot of players who will not be getting a free education via a basketball scholarship

6) I wonder how many of the 2 stars were forced out - either by coaching change, poor performance or being recruited over?

7) i hope this is a tough lesson learned for all involved in overrating your skill set and value to a team

Last edited:

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
7) i hope this is a tough lesson learned for all involved in overrating your skill set and value to a team

Yeah! F*ck those kids for believing in themselves and wanting to take a chance on finding a better for the 4-5 years of eligibility they'll have their entire life.

Maybe they'll never earn degrees too and end up with miserable unfulfilled lives. That'll show 'em!

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah! F*ck those kids for believing in themselves and wanting to take a chance on finding a better for the 4-5 years of eligibility they'll have their entire life.

Maybe they'll never earn degrees too and end up with miserable unfulfilled lives. That'll show 'em!
so normally I would agree with you, but I did read @jessej 's full post and am quite sure you are missing the boat. The problem is the kids who think they are future NBA guys who leave a really good situation for them and end up without a paid for degree.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
so normally I would agree with you, but I did read @jessej 's full post and am quite sure you are missing the boat. The problem is the kids who think they are future NBA guys who leave a really good situation for them and end up without a paid for degree.

I read the full post.

4) do a sort on the file and you will see that there are a large number of players with no offers - most are 2 stars with a smattering of 3, 4 and 5 star rankings

Doesn't sound like a kid who thinks he's a future NBA star.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I read the full post.

gotcha, only you know what jessej was trying to say with HIS post. you have to have a very frustrated husband/wife

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
gotcha, only you know what jessej was trying to say with HIS post. you have to have a very frustrated husband/wife

I mean.. you're the board expert on shit-talkin' about players. Nobody can hold a candle to the amount of bashing you do. Sometimes, they don't even need to get to campus first, you're that good!

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I read the full post.

i believe

some players were forced out
some players were recruited over
but some over estimated their value/skill set
and most of those remai ig without scholarships were 2 star players

there is no fundamental right of anyone to have a Division I basketball scholarship

if you are a USA citizen living in the USA there are opportunities to get a college education
although in most cases you will have to pay for it in some way

this is part of competition
some will win and others will lose
it is clear that in this year most of the losers are 2 star players

i expect the numbers to go down as the extra covid year moves through out the system
but the new reality is that under the "mostly free" transfer system those with more talent and.or upside will have scholarship offers and those without the talent/skills/upside will be without Div 1 basketbaall scholarships

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
No, it was a comment about taking digs at kids, which you decided to chime in on.

A subject change would be what is it in your life that makes you such a huge douche.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It feels weird trying to play peacemaker, but I have to say I agree with both @jessej and @Quentin Daniels on this one.

Nothing wrong with young people believing in themselves and wanting to take a shot at playing for a better program and/or in a higher-level league. Anyone who has ever changed jobs knows what that’s like, and it doesn’t always work out. There’s risk involved in putting your name in the portal and that should be understood by all parties.

At the same time, a lot of these kids are getting terrible advice or being outright deceived to go into the portal based on the promise of something that isn’t real. That’s unfortunate because getting a free college education is a big deal and we’re doing young people a disservice by making it seem like an afterthought to NIL and instant gratification.

So endeth my Ted talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.