2022 Recruiting

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Both good points. At the end of the season everybody, including KE, said we need a PG and a PF. Fast forward a few weeks and we’ve landed some combo guards. Obviously with two scholarships left those needs can still be addressed, but I think we are all getting nervous.

As I’ve said, I’m higher on Saquan than most here and I think he’ll give us some quality PG minutes, but if Rudi joins us and we get a could grab a forward that can play some minutes next year, I think we can play in the post season… and I’m still wondering if using a scholarship on Peter Oduro is the right call, but that’s another topic.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
are his 2020 stats fair game or having watched him is that fair game? The kid is a very nice 9th-10th man, but you're smoking crack if you think the combo of he and Bailey make us better at the PG position than having XJ back. He shoots worse than XJ which I am not sure how that is possible and had more TO's in less mins than XJ. we need to sign a PG. again I am not worried but our fans are starting that stupid trend of overhyping things for absolutely no reason again. Our PG position is a B rather than a D+ last year when we added a true freshman undersized and lost our best PG? come on
Yeah - GMU needs a PG. However- I don't think a guy that started for UNM is a 9th or 10th on the depth chart for Mason. I read an article that described him as a versatile player for the Lobos. That was music to my ears. Just hope he stays healthy.

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah - GMU needs a PG. However- I don't think a guy that started for UNM is a 9th or 10th on the depth chart for Mason. I read an article that described him as a versatile for the Lobos. That was music to my ears. Just hope he stays healthy.
Singleton is most definitely a 9th/10th man if CKE fills the team how he wants the rest of the way. That article is old (look at dates) and I am really trying hard not to be negative about players but taking coach speak from Singleton's last coach as truth reminds me that a lot of you were sold beach front property in Arizona from DP about Reuter... Singleton's numbers havent been very good, he also has not started at PG, heart condition or not. He started 8 games last year on a UNM team that was much worse than we were. please look into facts before believing our butt sniffing "fans"

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Singleton is most definitely a 9th/10th man if CKE fills the team how he wants the rest of the way. That article is old (look at dates) and I am really trying hard not to be negative about players but taking coach speak from Singleton's last coach as truth reminds me that a lot of you were sold beach front property in Arizona from DP about Reuter... Singleton's numbers havent been very good, he also has not started at PG, heart condition or not. He started 8 games last year on a UNM team that was much worse than we were. please look into facts before believing our butt sniffing "fans"
I am guessing starting only 8 games last year was due to his health issues. I think if he's healthy there is no way he plays the 9th or 10th most minutes next year. We'll see. I share your (and everybody else's) concern about the PG position.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Interesting reading all of the different perspectives. It's always fun to see what others are thinking. I'm looking at it this way..... We lost two players that were meaningful to the team in Schwartz and XJ. Hartwell, Frazier III, Gray, Buchanan, Gadsden, Kabimba, really didn't contribute anything to write home about. This is one of the reasons why we finished below .500 overall and in league play. How many times did we complain that our bench only produced two points? Far too many.

In Schwartz and XJ we are losing 23.2 points per game, 8.7 rebounds per contest, and 191 total assists. So far we have gained Singleton and Bailey who last year contributed a total of 7.2 points per game, 3.9 rebounds, and 51 total assists. On paper it's not a great sign. Granted they both had to deal with issues surrounding health, team dynamics, role on the team, how the coach used them, etc. In no way am I slamming them or saying that they won't be good. But, you are what your record/numbers say you are. Only time will tell whether these two will be dynamic, average, or busts. I sure hope they turn out to be studs. If not, we are royally screwed.

I am concerned about where we are currently at the point. If we have to rely on the position by committee again it will not bode well for us in my opinion. Look what it got us last year. Lot's of questions if we don't nab a Rudi Williams. Will Polite be healthy? If so, will the game slow down for him? Will he control his dribble and the offense? Will he become a reliable shooting/scoring threat? If so I look forward to seeing what kind of season he can put together. If not, I see us in the middle of the A10 at best. What can Dinkins provide as a true freshman? No way of knowing that answer yet. We can all speculate. But once again, time will tell all.

I think we all know what we have in Cooper and Gaines. But even there we have issues. Will Cooper lose the weight KE wants him to? As a result will he be quicker, a better defender, and able to get to the rim? I hope Gaines doesn't have to play one minute at the 4. His minutes need to drop next year so fatigue won't be an issue.

What will Fernandez bring? Is he truly a building block and foundational player?

As most here have said out other glaring weakness is at the 4 spot. Will Jones blossom in his second season? Will Henry find an offensive game? Will we land the big bruiser that KE has repeatedly said we need? So far, on the recruiting end, it's been all swings and misses. Is there time? Of course. Get it done KE. I can't take another year of middle of the pack bs.

Last edited:

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
My ask for this season, and every season here after, is simple. We need to have at least one A10 caliber player starting at every single position. We have never had that since we came to the league. It’s not a super hard ask. They don’t need to be all league players at every position (although a couple need to be), but they all need to belong on the court at this level.
I'm hoping that we can get it done through recruiting and not have to rely on the portal.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm hoping that we can get it done through recruiting and not have to rely on the portal.
I think the landscape has shifted at least for the next few years. You'll still have 2-4 guys coming in as true freshmen, but I have to think you'll have a lot of guys who will be transferring in.

Now I hope the guys who transfer in are more 2-3 year guys than 1 year guys with the exception being in a year where you are trying to really win, you go after what you think is the icing on the top. So I'm looking more at guys like Gaines.

Its a weird landscape to say the least, but until the free covid year cycles through and is overwith, I have to think that is how it will be, if not longer.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think the landscape has shifted at least for the next few years. You'll still have 2-4 guys coming in as true freshmen, but I have to think you'll have a lot of guys who will be transferring in.

Now I hope the guys who transfer in are more 2-3 year guys than 1 year guys with the exception being in a year where you are trying to really win, you go after what you think is the icing on the top. So I'm looking more at guys like Gaines.

Its a weird landscape to say the least, but until the free covid year cycles through and is overwith, I have to think that is how it will be, if not longer.

the additional covid year will be removed in 2 years- all players with an extra year due to covid will have exhausted their eligibility and be gone

i believe the larger effect will be the transfer without sitting out nor losing a year of eligibility
the current transfer portal has more players than available scholarship slots
the 5 and 4 stars will find a spot on the top 50 teams
the rest may find out that they are not as good as they thought or others told them and will end up on a lesser team or without a scholarship at all

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
the additional covid year will be removed in 2 years- all players with an extra year due to covid will have exhausted their eligibility and be gone

i believe the larger effect will be the transfer without sitting out nor losing a year of eligibility
the current transfer portal has more players than available scholarship slots
the 5 and 4 stars will find a spot on the top 50 teams
the rest may find out that they are not as good as they thought or others told them and will end up on a lesser team or without a scholarship at all

Yes, let’s hope 45%+ of D1 don’t transfer every year going forward, including the entirety of players 6-13 on the depth chart (or in the case of teams who undergo a coaching change 11 to 13 of the scholarship players).

FreeGunston12

All-American
Don't know if this has been glossed over because the % looks good (36.4%) last year, but Singleton has only made 6 career 3-pointers in 46 career games. He is not a shooter. So again, I don't know what role the coaches have planned for him. It'll be interesting to see where he fits in. I like the way he moves on tape and moves the ball. Seems to defend well and do the grunt work. Always room for guys like that.

Still need a 1 and a 4 though. Come on Nnaji and Williams.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Rudi Williams announced he is visiting BYU. I don't think he announced any other visit. Could be a clue or nothing.

OP
p8triotfan4life

p8triotfan4life

Starter
do we know with 100% certainty that Elvis Nnanji even visited last weekend? we saw a twitter post that he intended to visit in April, but never confirmed dates. Does anyone know the skinny on this?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Didn't think I'd be stressed over a PG with KE as head coach. But here I am, stressn.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Starting to get nervous here about the last 2 spots -- anyone have any legitimately positive news to share?
Guys can still enter the portal until May 1 so it remains to be seen what other names emerge as transfer targets. That’s positive for us … you never know how all of this player movement is going to shake out by the time school starts again in August.