2022 Recruiting

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Guys can still enter the portal until May 1 so it remains to be seen what other names emerge as transfer targets. That’s positive for us … you never know how all of this player movement is going to shake out by the time school starts again in August.
i believe we are about to see a new version of advanced musical chairs
there are more players in the portal than there are scholarship slots
and many of those who entered the portal cant go back to their old schools and scholarships
if you are outside the top 50 players in the portal you may have to come down a program or go overseas

itsh about to ger REAL

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Enjoy.

Junkees9

Sixth Man
Well I would hope we could beat out Hampton, Valparaiso, and Lamar for Nnaji. I realize there are a lot of factors that play into a player's decision, but I have to think we stand a pretty good shot. Again, that seems like a strange list.

beau75

Four-star Recruit
Well I would hope we could beat out Hampton, Valparaiso, and Lamar for Nnaji. I realize there are a lot of factors that play into a player's decision, but I have to think we stand a pretty good shot. Again, that seems like a strange list.
Really curious about why his interest seems to have dropped off. I know they are only highlights but he seems to move really well for a big guy. Hopefully we can bring him in.

The portal changes this whole recruiting game and i feel for the kids that are borderline power 5 players. Coaches are in win now mode so I imagine they would take a proven d1 player over a hs kid that needs developing. Hopefully that is the case with Elvis and it works out in our favor. Will find out soon enough.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe we aren't getting recruits bc we don't have a collective to pay them? Collectives are pay to play and should be banned from NIL.

Last edited:

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
We all need to just chill out. There’s no need for all of this gazing into our personal, uninformed crystal balls, reading mystical tea leaves, and making up reasons for why we haven’t heard anything yet. There’s at least 350 point guards in the portal to pick from and hundreds more at the 4/5. KE, Nate and Felton have networks of contacts built up over years and have built relationships with kids at all levels. You guys talk like our coaches are flailing around and trying to pick from the sloppy thirds of the MEAC and NEC. They have a plan, because they are professionals. Get a hold of yourselves and have a little faith!!

beau75

Four-star Recruit
We all need to just chill out. There’s no need for all of this gazing into our personal, uninformed crystal balls, reading mystical tea leaves, and making up reasons for why we haven’t heard anything yet. There’s at least 350 point guards in the portal to pick from and hundreds more at the 4/5. KE, Nate and Felton have networks of contacts built up over years and have built relationships with kids at all levels. You guys talk like our coaches are flailing around and trying to pick from the sloppy thirds of the MEAC and NEC. They have a plan, because they are professionals. Get a hold of yourselves and have a little faith!!
Not freaking out it’s just a totally different game with the portal and NIL compared to what it was a year or so ago. Just need to adapt and I’m sure our coaches are doing just that.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
With beau’s question it’s an interesting one. Apparently English was talking to Nnaji about possibly going to Tennessee.

Rivals has his top three as Minnesota, Arizona, and Marquette with Minnesota as his likely destination (247 says only Marquette offered him). In July 2021, 247 did an article about his recruitment and Nnaji mentioned speaking with Xavier and Providence head coaches. And he’s now deciding between us, Valpo, Lamar, and Hampton?! Did the portal change the landscape around him or did he have an underwhelming senior season?

beau75

Four-star Recruit
With beau’s question it’s an interesting one. Apparently English was talking to Nnaji about possibly going to Tennessee.

Rivals has his top three as Minnesota, Arizona, and Marquette with Minnesota as his likely destination (247 says only Marquette offered him). In July 2021, 247 did an article about his recruitment and Nnaji mentioned speaking with Xavier and Providence head coaches. And he’s now deciding between us, Valpo, Lamar, and Hampton?! Did the portal change the landscape around him or did he have an underwhelming senior season?
100% the portal changed the landscape. Think I Saw An article where it stated that between the Portal players, grad transfers, senior HS players etc. there are not enough D1 scholarships available for all of them. Throw in the NIL it’s a hot mess.

By all accounts and it seems like Nnaji had a strong senior season and summer. Who the hell knows at this point. Wild West.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
100% the portal changed the landscape. Think I Saw An article where it stated that between the Portal players, grad transfers, senior HS players etc. there are not enough D1 scholarships available for all of them. Throw in the NIL it’s a hot mess.
While the portal has changed things, kids not getting scholarships would not be affected by that as it would still be the same number of scholarships available. What is squeezing some kids out that might have had a scholarship otherwise is the extra COVID year. For every person that takes a fifth year due to COVID rule, that is one less scholarship available for someone else that would have been available otherwise.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
While the portal has changed things, kids not getting scholarships would not be affected by that as it would still be the same number of scholarships available. What is squeezing some kids out that might have had a scholarship otherwise is the extra COVID year. For every person that takes a fifth year due to COVID rule, that is one less scholarship available for someone else that would have been available otherwise.

Not if they stay at their current school (as I understand it). In that scenario, it doesn't count against the total and you're just allowed an extra position on the roster. But yeah, your general point is spot-on. Just look at our roster(s) w/Schwartz, Cooper, Gaines, Bailey, and Singleton all taking or potentially taking a slotted scholarship. As well as all of our own transfers.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

PREACH @HoopsAdmin !!!

The Basketball Gods will provide.

heaven.jpg

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot to mention Coach Simpkins in that… he is of course included and a big asset to our program.

Old Ram

Preferred Walk-On
Not if they stay at their current school (as I understand it). In that scenario, it doesn't count against the total and you're just allowed an extra position on the roster. But yeah, your general point is spot-on. Just look at our roster(s) w/Schwartz, Cooper, Gaines, Bailey, and Singleton all taking or potentially taking a slotted scholarship. As well as all of our own transfers.
The fifth year “free scholarship” was for 21-22 only. While athletes can still use their extra COVID year, it does count against the scholarship limit.