2022 Recruiting

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
No instant commit from Elvis - no biggie.

Hopefully he gets home, talks to his AAU/High School coaches today and in the next day or two we see the "I'm going to be making my announcement on..." tweet/instagram message.

OP
p8triotfan4life

p8triotfan4life

Starter
No instant commit from Elvis - no biggie.

Hopefully he gets home, talks to his AAU/High School coaches today and in the next day or two we see the "I'm going to be making my announcement on..." tweet/instagram message.

looking at Elvis' recent offers, I'd have to think we have a good chance.

I gotta be honest, the second Rudi visits San Diego State, I don't think he will say no to that weather.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
How confident would you be if we go into next season with a PG depth chart of Bailey, Singleton, Polite and Dinkins (in some order)?

That’s better than what we had last season — low bar to clear — but not nearly the home run I was hoping for.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Last year’s PG lineup would be a C-/D+. Below average. Easy to say that now after the season. Had a few games where they played well, specifically XJ, but overall that’s my grade.

This years group without Rudi would be a B-. Admittedly, haven’t seen Bailey play point, but Singleton and Dinkins is an upgrade over XJ and Hartwell - plus add Bailey to the mix. I will admit, I’m higher on Singleton than most on here.

Add Rudy and we are really good at PG. Really good.

The other question I have is, better overall team adding Rudi and Elvis with the last two scholarships (PG is set but questions at the 4/5), or adding Elvis and another solid 4/5… like a slightly better Offurum (PG not as strong, but more depth at the 4/5)?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How confident would you be if we go into next season with a PG depth chart of Bailey, Singleton, Polite and Dinkins (in some order)?

That’s better than what we had last season — low bar to clear — but not nearly the home run I was hoping for.
Bailey and Singleton aren’t point guards lol. From what I read Bailey is just as much of a PG as Coop is (heck no). So nah I’m good without Ronnie and Dinkins being our only PGs.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Holy rose colored glasses. We have yet to address the PG issue and we are a B without our PG target committing? Stop sniffing paint and being a fan and be objective for a second. Adding Singleton and Bailey is not addition at the point guard position from losing XJ. Also crazy how high people are on XJ until he leaves and two SF are brought in to “replace” him.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

Quit trying to make Bailey as a 1 happen. It's not going to happen.

maxresdefault.jpg

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Singleton will run some point this year. Hopefully it's not his primary responsibility.
He came up as a point guard and now plays multiple spots. He was not a full time PG at New Mexico, but can absolutely play the position. My guess is his role is a lot like it was at New Mexico:

Lobos coach Paul Weir called Singleton a “Swiss Army knife.”

“I’m ecstatic about just how he is,” Weir said. “He’s just one of those guys you can pencil into for a lot of minutes. I don’t know where and I don’t know how, but I think they’re just going to be very productive minutes across the board.”

Though he played point guard in junior college, there’s been high praise at that spot for players such as North Carolina transfer Jeremiah Francis and returning sophomore Kurt-Curry Wegscheider, among others. Singleton knows he can handle that role in spots if needed but has no problem with Weir’s description of him.

“That’s great with me,” Singleton said. “Whatever coach needs me to play, hey, I’m gonna play it. If he needs me to play the 5, I guess I’ll be a big man.”

Rod Brown, also a Lobo newcomer developing into a team leader in practices, said Singleton is the type of player teammates love to have.

“When he’s on the court, he’s a definitely a stat-sheet stuffer,” Brown said. “Every time I look up, he’s grabbing the rebound. Every time I look up, he’s (dishing) an assist, getting a deflection here and there, he’s the first one on the floor (for loose balls). I see him bringing his team in a huddles. … It’s kind of fun, actually, being on the same court as him …”

“I think if we have an issue at point guard he can slide over there, I think if we have an issue at power forward he can slide over there if he really had to play center he could. He is 6’6 with a 6’9 wingspan and he is just a great teammate,” said Weir.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Holy rose colored glasses. We have yet to address the PG issue and we are a B without our PG target committing? Stop sniffing paint and being a fan and be objective for a second. Adding Singleton and Bailey is not addition at the point guard position from losing XJ. Also crazy how high people are on XJ until he leaves and two SF are brought in to “replace” him.

Bailey is a small forward? He’s pretty clearly a combo shooting guard.

As for our PG situation, would love to get a third, but without someone like Rudi it’s impossible to grade what we have until we actually see Dinkins play. Everyone keeps telling us he’s “the real deal.” He could be starter quality right away or be trash: it’ll be a big risk to what is otherwise a solid lineup.

If we get Nnaji, I don’t think the 4/5 depth is horrible. Assuming Blake gets better in the off-season and assuming Nnaji can give us the same number of minutes at the 4 as Blake did at the 4/5 last season, we should be in decent shape with a rotating lineup of Gaines, Jones, Nnaji, and Singleton at the 4 and Oduro, Jones, Henry, and Oduro at the 5.