2022 Recruiting

BM-GW

Four-star Recruit
He's been to a couple of GW home games this year. Not sure if that's a good thing though considering our performance.

Junkees9

Sixth Man
Given our current rotation (e.g., Buchanan playing significant minutes), I think the base case is that we see quite a few departures after this season and a lot of new players next year. Let's assume these guys are here next year--Oduro, Gaines, Polite, Johnson, Fernandez, Dinkins, and Jones. Is there anyone else whom we can really say will almost definitely be staying? Gray, Gladsen, Hartwell, Henry, Frazier--we could make a case for multiple departures among those 5. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but the current use of players sure makes it look like big changes are in the cards. I for one expect a lot of turnover.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Given our current rotation (e.g., Buchanan playing significant minutes), I think the base case is that we see quite a few departures after this season and a lot of new players next year. Let's assume these guys are here next year--Oduro, Gaines, Polite, Johnson, Fernandez, Dinkins, and Jones. Is there anyone else whom we can really say will almost definitely be staying? Gray, Gladsen, Hartwell, Henry, Frazier--we could make a case for multiple departures among those 5. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but the current use of players sure makes it look like big changes are in the cards. I for one expect a lot of turnover.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4279876/devon-cooperCooper only played in 5 games in the 19-20 season (i dont know why)
i am hoping he can petition the NCAA for another season and also come back

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

My take, which is worthless, but why not:

Gray: he was in the rotation early in the season. Seems like he's been hurt lately? He showed some defensive ability, but not much on the offensive side. He didn't look like much of a point guard and with Dinkins coming in if he were to stay, his best shot at minutes will be off-ball at the 2. I'd put his transfer at 50/50.

Gadsden: has hardly seen the floor, even when the bench was short. Can't imagine he'll see much of the floor next season. Doesn't seem like he's part of the plan. I'd put his transfer at 90/10.

Frazier: He has the physical tools to succeed at the D1 level, but maybe not in the A10 (or at least on this team?) Only playing 7 minutes against Richmond? Not good for his prospects going forward. I think he might transfer down to a CAA-type level (maybe go back to Arizona and play for GCU?) where he can start or at least play 20-25 mpg. I'd put his transfer at 70/30.

Blake: He has played in just about every game this season. I think English thinks he can develop Blake and if Blake likes Mason and playing for English, I think he sticks around. I put his transfer at something like 20/80.

Hartwell: No reason why he'd stick around. I think he either transfers to a school he can start on to showcase himself, or graduates and tries to turn pro overseas. I'm going to put his "transfer" at 95/5. (whether he stays or leaves doesn't matter. He won't take up a scholarship either way).

Henry: With his lack of FT shooting (he's statistically worse than Calixte right now), and post moves, Henry won't start next season anywhere he goes. He's got athleticism, and when he gets run-outs in transition he's a lot of fun watching him dunk (think those quick 4 transition points he got against Richmond). His best bet is to stick around and to buy into what English is selling and work his butt off to become a better offensive player. I'd put his transfer at 50/50.

So, I'm going to go with (minus Hartwell, because whether he stays or goes doesn't change the calculus for scholarships) an O/U at 2.5 transfers (this is in addition to Kabimba who already transferred). Seems reasonable.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
My take, which is worthless, but why not:

Gray: he was in the rotation early in the season. Seems like he's been hurt lately? He showed some defensive ability, but not much on the offensive side. He didn't look like much of a point guard and with Dinkins coming in if he were to stay, his best shot at minutes will be off-ball at the 2. I'd put his transfer at 50/50.

Gadsden: has hardly seen the floor, even when the bench was short. Can't imagine he'll see much of the floor next season. Doesn't seem like he's part of the plan. I'd put his transfer at 90/10.

Frazier: He has the physical tools to succeed at the D1 level, but maybe not in the A10 (or at least on this team?) Only playing 7 minutes against Richmond? Not good for his prospects going forward. I think he might transfer down to a CAA-type level (maybe go back to Arizona and play for GCU?) where he can start or at least play 20-25 mpg. I'd put his transfer at 70/30.

Blake: He has played in just about every game this season. I think English thinks he can develop Blake and if Blake likes Mason and playing for English, I think he sticks around. I put his transfer at something like 20/80.

Hartwell: No reason why he'd stick around. I think he either transfers to a school he can start on to showcase himself, or graduates and tries to turn pro overseas. I'm going to put his "transfer" at 95/5. (whether he stays or leaves doesn't matter. He won't take up a scholarship either way).

Henry: With his lack of FT shooting (he's statistically worse than Calixte right now), and post moves, Henry won't start next season anywhere he goes. He's got athleticism, and when he gets run-outs in transition he's a lot of fun watching him dunk (think those quick 4 transition points he got against Richmond). His best bet is to stick around and to buy into what English is selling and work his butt off to become a better offensive player. I'd put his transfer at 50/50.

So, I'm going to go with (minus Hartwell, because whether he stays or goes doesn't change the calculus for scholarships) an O/U at 2.5 transfers (this is in addition to Kabimba who already transferred). Seems reasonable.
Hammer the over. You left out Polite, who most certainly isn’t gonna stick around to be the No. 3 PG and doesn’t shoot it well enough to get minutes at the 2.

We’re looking at 3 of the current 4 PGs heading out the door. Plus Gadsden and Kabimba, that makes 5 transfers out even if Henry and Frazier decide to stay and KE wants them to.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Hammer the over. You left out Polite, who most certainly isn’t gonna stick around to be the No. 3 PG and doesn’t shoot it well enough to get minutes at the 2.

We’re looking at 3 of the current 4 PGs heading out the door. Plus Gadsden and Kabimba, that makes 5 transfers out even if Henry and Frazier decide to stay and KE wants them to.

I did forget about Polite. The 2.5 is post-Kabimba so you could call it 3.5 technically. I’m also not really counting Hartwell because if he “transfers” it doesn’t really free up a scholarship anyway.

5 transfers out would be a lot and wouldn’t leave a lot of continuity, but we are through the rubicon so nothing would surprise me.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I did forget about Polite. The 2.5 is post-Kabimba so you could call it 3.5 technically. I’m also not really counting Hartwell because if he “transfers” it doesn’t really free up a scholarship anyway.

5 transfers out would be a lot and wouldn’t leave a lot of continuity, but we are through the rubicon so nothing would surprise me.
Not a lot of continuity by losing non contributors is a win in my book.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’d like to keep Henry, Frazier and Jones because they have tools to develop with hard work in the off-season, but wouldn’t be surprised if the first 2 left for more playing time elsewhere.

Me too. But it’s unpredictable. Jones seems to have English’s trust even if it isn’t showing up in the box score yet. I already mentioned Henry and my spiel for why he should stay. Otis is a tough case. He could stick around and work his butt off and get into the rotation. He could also transfer out and probably see some pretty immediate success at a lower level.

I don’t know what happened to Gray. He was in the regular rotation early. And if Polite leaves, I could see him sticking around, because it seems like Polite has taken any minutes Gray would have gotten (if healthy). But I could see him transferring too.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

I don’t know what happened to Gray. He was in the regular rotation early. And if Polite leaves, I could see him sticking around, because it seems like Polite has taken any minutes Gray would have gotten (if healthy). But I could see him transferring too.
I'll tell you what happened to Gray:
When I went to a practice, Mike Gray became my player to route for. On the short side (relatively speaking), built pretty damn solid and seemed pretty scrappy. I just liked the style that I saw from him on the court. I didn't realize that his name was Gray at the time, that only adds to my desire for him to do well.

Now, I apologize to Mike up front, because it seems like whenever I fall in love with a player's game, it seems to be the kiss of death to his career...
Again, I apologize.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I guess I should stop being surprised when you all wish for our guys to leave. While we should definitely judge Gray's future on a handful of games as a freshman it is worth mentioning that he was a much bigger piece of the Fernandez recruiting than you've all given him credit for. I wouldn't try to push him out of town quite so quickly.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I guess I should stop being surprised when you all wish for our guys to leave. While we should definitely judge Gray's future on a handful of games as a freshman it is worth mentioning that he was a much bigger piece of the Fernandez recruiting than you've all given him credit for. I wouldn't try to push him out of town quite so quickly.
Wanting to have a bench capable of contributing so we don’t have to play every starter 40 minutes (or more) is not the same as wishing for guys to leave.

The reality is KE is recruiting on a different level and in some cases it would be mutually beneficial for player and program to part ways.