2022-2023 Season; Hopes, Dreams, Wishes, Analysis & Predictions

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If we don’t have a PG in a league full of good ones there is a very good chance we come in 6th.
The best team Mason has ever fielded other than 2005-06 didn’t have a clearly defined PG but shared the ball incredibly well overall and wound up winning a game in the NCAAs as an 8 seed.

Regardless of his position, if VJ plays well enough to earn Newcomer of the Year, given all of the other incoming talent in the A-10, we’re gonna be very very dangerous.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The best team Mason has ever fielded other than 2005-06 didn’t have a clearly defined PG but shared the ball incredibly well overall and wound up winning a game in the NCAAs as an 8 seed.

Regardless of his position, if VJ plays well enough to earn Newcomer of the Year, given all of the other incoming talent in the A-10, we’re gonna be very very dangerous.

This is true, but “point guard” duties largely fell on Hancock (and you saw what happened when he got food poisoning before the OSU game). So the question is, even if we don’t have a prototypical point guard playing the one, who on this roster is going to do the necessary point guard things to keep the offense moving? Ticket is the closest for me (it’s definitely not Cooper), but I don’t know if he’s the guy who you want shouldering that much responsibility.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

No disagreement on your points but Mason was an 11 seed in 05-06. How could we forget? :)

But yeah, I think PG is the key and as that goes Mason will go. If Mason is held back there will be many disappointed, including yours truly.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
No disagreement on your points but Mason was an 11 seed in 05-06. How could we forget? :)

But yeah, I think PG is the key and as that goes Mason will go. If Mason is held back there will be many disappointed, including yours truly.
Yes, especially since CKE that was priority #1. (Or something to that effect.)

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

I was talking about 2010-11

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Not specific to Mason, but this discussion was on mid-majors online at espn and had this question on the A-10 posed:

The Atlantic 10 has added Loyola Chicago to its membership. The WCC and Mountain West both have top 25 teams. Which of these conferences will have an overall great season?​

The Mountain West features strong contenders for the 2022-23 season, including Wyoming and its deadly duo of Hunter Maldonado and Graham Ike. AP Photo/Rick Bowmer
Medcalf: The Atlantic 10 and Mountain West could surpass the WCC in bids on Selection Sunday. But I think every commissioner in those leagues would take a Final Four contender over a victory in the race for multiple bids. The WCC will have the best season because Gonzaga will spend the year as a legit national title contender and top-10 team. While Saint Mary's has NCAA tournament aspirations and BYU could sneak into the field, Gonzaga has a shot at winning the first national title in the program's history. If its season ends in the Final Four, the entire WCC will benefit and every coach will tout the reality that they had to go through a national championship contender to win the league.

Borzello: I'll take the Atlantic 10. This league has a lot more than just the Flyers. Saint Louis brings back five players who started at least 15 games on a 23-win team -- while also regaining the services of Javonte Perkins, who missed last season with a torn ACL after averaging 17.1 points in 2020-21. vcu will once again have an elite defense and will hopefully be healthier this season. And then there's Loyola Chicago, coming off back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances. The top of this league is very, very good.

Lunardi: This is a tough one, with both the Mountain West and WCC coming off historic years in terms of NCAA representation. The Atlantic 10 has been a bit down, but has two true second weekend contenders in Dayton and Saint Louis (plus a real sleeper in vcu). Of the three, I think the Mountain West is most likely to gain or maintain its "bulk" in NCAA teams. In this day and age, where NCAA revenue units are the singular goal, the MWC is the best bet.

Gasaway: Behold the Mountain West, where "great season" means good teams and excellent storylines. Behind the already-discussed Aztecs, we may find one familiar name along with some fast-ascending programs. The usual suspect here could be Wyoming, where once again Hunter Maldonado and Graham Ike will be a combined headache for opponents. Richard Pitino and Ryan Odom will be in their second seasons at New Mexico and Utah State, respectively, and both the Lobos and the Aggies may be tough. One might say the same for Fresno State and its flock of juniors and seniors.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Off topic, but it always annoyed me that we were the 8 seed and 'nova was the 9, and our win was constantly referred to as an "upset."

phoenix-arizona

All-American
Vegas LineVillanova -1
Over/Under135.0 (under)

from admittedly very half assed research the line was wafer thin

b> Villanova Wildcats vs. George Mason Patriots Point Spread and Pick</b>

<b>Betting Odds:</b> Villanova -1 / GMU +1
<b>Over/Under Total:</b> 135.5
<b>Moneyline:</b> Villanova -120 / GMU +100

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Off topic, but it always annoyed me that we were the 8 seed and 'nova was the 9, and our win was constantly referred to as an "upset."

If I remember correctly, Villanova’s team had some injuries to key players leading up to the NCAA tournament but was at full strength (or relatively full strength) when we played them. They were probably better than a 9 seed team at full strength. Damn good win for Mason.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
A-10 Media Day Predictions

1665670588669.png

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023