2022-2023 Season; Hopes, Dreams, Wishes, Analysis & Predictions

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm a Mets fan so I really don't have much to talk about other than we have this new owner who likes the Mets a lot and has a lot of money and is trying to win us a World Series. So I guess that's cool!

Mets/Orioles World Series 2024 and everyone's head explodes.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
All of my teams usually lose when it matters most, and yet I continue to follow them knowing their failures inevitably will make me feel like crap.

Make it make sense.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
When you are used to lows, the highs are higher.
I have never had more fun watching sports than the 2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs and the 2019 MLB Playoffs. Yeah 2006 was great but I had only been a Mason fan for about 6 months at that point since it was my freshman year (and also we eventually lost).

After years of watching the playoffs only to see my favorite teams absolutely choke in the early rounds, I learned that when your team makes a deep run, the playoffs are actually fun. Like actually enjoyable to watch. It's wild.

Imagine looking forward to the A10 tournament...what a wild concept that must be...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I have never had more fun watching sports than the 2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs and the 2019 MLB Playoffs. Yeah 2006 was great but I had only been a Mason fan for about 6 months at that point since it was my freshman year (and also we eventually lost).

After years of watching the playoffs only to see my favorite teams absolutely choke in the early rounds, I learned that when your team makes a deep run, the playoffs are actually fun. Like actually enjoyable to watch. It's wild.

Imagine looking forward to the A10 tournament...what a wild concept that must be...
That last sentence hits home. There is nothing like March Madness and the conference tournament is always a lot of fun when I have attended. It obviously would be a lot better with Mason doing well, but I guess I can settle for rooting against vcu too, to some degree.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
That last sentence hits home. There is nothing like March Madness and the conference tournament is always a lot of fun when I have attended. It obviously would be a lot better with Mason doing well, but I guess I can settle for rooting against vcu too, to some degree.
A vcu loss gives me 9/10 the high of a Mason win. An effective methodone-like substitute that can assuage my worst withdrawals for at least a little while.

I also know that attending the conference tournament is fun even if your team sucks, but imagine attending it with like, Mason in the top 2 teams and pretty much expected to make the Sunday game. Walking in there with people betting on us to run away with it. It'd be amazing.

NOW I caveat this with admitting that it can just as easily go the other way, as it did with the Caps and Nats from like 2009 until they finally broke through. Watching your amazing, awesome, fully capable team choke on their own spit is also very bad, but nowhere near as bad as whatever Mason has been doing these last 11 years.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That last sentence is everything.... seems we had the life back from 1999-2011 when us diehards would look forward to the CAA tournament every year in Richmond. It was more of a mindset of who we would play in the finals that year, which hot girl from a different fanbase you were going after at the bars (UNCW were usually the hottest) and what vcu hipster would one of us get in a verbal fight with and at what bar..... or which one of our buddies would end up with Jollay at 3am at god knows what establishment.

Everyone would plan on staying the weekend because it was something you just booked automatically.

It's sad that some of you who came in around 2010/2011 and beyond and never got a chance to experience the CAA tournament in all of its glory. Such a fun sporting experience.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I distinctly remember being prepared to run onto that god awful Coliseum floor in 99 when we beat ODU and the security guard saying to me "Just don't get hurt." Or the look on all the opposing teams fans' faces when we beat Nova in Cleveland like "who are these nutjobs?".....Of course, the Final Four memories will last forever, but some of the other ones are almost as great...I really want our younger generation of fans to experience it. Yes, it's as great as it sounds.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Agreed with you guys. I can’t wait until Mason wins, there’s so much I’d love to do in terms of celebrating.

Not to derail the thread but the Caps are trending in a downward direction and squandered the bulk of OV's prime years fumbling coaching and front office decisions that could have had us humming like Tampa Bay. If you think the team you are watching this year is Cup capable then you must be watching reruns from 2014. Caps are too old to be good anymore...we'll be lucky to make the playoffs in a stacked East after all the injuries we suffered (and will continue to suffer).

The Nats are in no way poised to win again within the decade. The Lerners got their "ok now you can't be mad at us ever again" championship and are now committed to doing everything they can to shrink payroll and sell the team, except the MASN debacle (combined with Strasburg's and Patrick Corbin's worthless high dollar contracts) renders the team practially unsellable. Yeah we have a decent farm system now but we are looking at 90+ loss seasons until the Lerners are gone, then you gotta rebuild after and compete with the Mets, Phillies, and Braves who will all be good for the forseeable future.

I will forever be thankful for 2018 and 2019...best back-to-back years of my sports fandom but the future really isn't that bright for any of the DC teams if you're a Mason/DC fan like me.

You hit the Wiz spot on though. I'll take your word on the football team...I quit paying attention years ago and will not do so until Snyder is gone.
I'm not much of a hockey fan so I'll have to take your word for it on the Caps. However as a baseball first fan, I beg to differ on the Nats. The team is poised to lose 90-100 games this year and probably the next (2024). They will continue to stockpile talent and age off bad contracts. MLB will have to get involved in the MASN debacle (they should since they caused it) and a buyer will eventually materialize. The infusion of new money and the maturation of a slew of position player prospects, will allow the team to go get pitching (a la the Scherzer deal) and make the team very competitive in the last few years of the decade ..... right about the time the Mets and Phillies massive contracts for aging players start to look like Corbin's. The Braves are smarter than the other two and will likely still be the competition when the Nats are ready. I didn't mention the Marlins for obvious reasons.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
It's sad that some of you who came in around 2010/2011 and beyond and never got a chance to experience the CAA tournament in all of its glory. Such a fun sporting experience.

My strongest in-person memory of the CAA tournament is being down 32-4 to you know who back in 2012, my junior year. As brutal as that was, there was really strong support in the stands, both from alumni and students, in 2011 and 2012. Can't wait to get back to that level of enthusiasm from our fanbase, here's to hoping it comes sooner rather than later.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not much of a hockey fan so I'll have to take your word for it on the Caps. However as a baseball first fan, I beg to differ on the Nats. The team is poised to lose 90-100 games this year and probably the next (2024). They will continue to stockpile talent and age off bad contracts. MLB will have to get involved in the MASN debacle (they should since they caused it) and a buyer will eventually materialize. The infusion of new money and the maturation of a slew of position player prospects, will allow the team to go get pitching (a la the Scherzer deal) and make the team very competitive in the last few years of the decade ..... right about the time the Mets and Phillies massive contracts for aging players start to look like Corbin's. The Braves are smarter than the other two and will likely still be the competition when the Nats are ready. I didn't mention the Marlins for obvious reasons.
I sure hope you're right...I'm not too hopeful at the moment for obvious reasons. I haven't been following as closely since I moved out here and it's a real chore to keep up with a 100-loss team when you have a baby and other things to do. I'd love a reason to watch again (when they aren't playing the Dodgers, Angels, Padres, Giants, or Athletics, per MLB blackout rules...)

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I sure hope you're right...I'm not too hopeful at the moment for obvious reasons. I haven't been following as closely since I moved out here and it's a real chore to keep up with a 100-loss team when you have a baby and other things to do. I'd love a reason to watch again (when they aren't playing the Dodgers, Angels, Padres, Giants, or Athletics, per MLB blackout rules...)
Reason to watch the Nat's this year will be to see the young guys, particularly the pitchers (Cavali, Gore, Gray) and Abrams, to see how they develop. LOTS more talent in the minors too that will be making anticipated big league debuts this upcoming season and the next two.

The way the team is positioned now, we should be expecting to see improvement year to year and possibly competing in 3 years (2025 season).

We will probably continue to sign potential rebound FA's who we can flip for picks/prospects at trade deadline this season and next.

If at least a reasonable percentage of the prospects pan out, and a couple turn into stars, we'll be well positioned to aggressively attack free agency at that point with a pretty low payroll and hopefully owners (Leonsis?) that will spend.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Reason to watch the Nat's this year will be to see the young guys, particularly the pitchers (Cavali, Gore, Gray) and Abrams, to see how they develop. LOTS more talent in the minors too that will be making anticipated big league debuts this upcoming season and the next two.

The way the team is positioned now, we should be expecting to see improvement year to year and possibly competing in 3 years (2025 season).

We will probably continue to sign potential rebound FA's who we can flip for picks/prospects at trade deadline this season and next.

If at least a reasonable percentage of the prospects pan out, and a couple turn into stars, we'll be well positioned to aggressively attack free agency at that point with a pretty low payroll and hopefully owners (Leonsis?) that will spend.
I wouldn't count on Leonsis spending, then again baseball would be a new area for him so who knows what to expect. He's a sports marketing guy first, so we would at least not do dumb things like trade Soto (yeah I know it probably wasn't THAT dumb to do), but I'm not sure how far he'd go into getting the front office in order to actually build a winner. He seems content that if he has the stars he needs to fill the seats than a championship is secondary.

I'd rate him as a C+ owner of the Caps and an F owner of the Wizzzzzzz. Without the 2018 Cup he'd probably be a C- or D for the Caps too. Maybe I'm too critical but in my mind there is no excuse for the Wiz being this bad for so long and no excuse for not having at least 2 cups in the OV era. He might do better in the MLB where the playoffs are way more of a crapshoot, though. The "just get to the playoffs and then see what happens" strategy fares much better in that league than it does in the NHL especially.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My strongest in-person memory of the CAA tournament is being down 32-4 to you know who back in 2012, my junior year. As brutal as that was, there was really strong support in the stands, both from alumni and students, in 2011 and 2012. Can't wait to get back to that level of enthusiasm from our fanbase, here's to hoping it comes sooner rather than later.
Probably one of our worst performances as a team at the CAA tourney and against our worst foe at the worst time possible. We were sitting on the aisle and next to the rams section to the right of us and 4-5 ram fans just kept getting up and coming over to our rows and fanbase and rubbing it in, talking smack, and cheering all up in our faces.... our 6'4 friend almost fought all of them LOL. We did have a good fan base then but not as rowdy as the home team would get and that would piss us off more. A lot of the fanbase would just sit in their seats and barely stand.

Then when we played Northeastern one year, I believe it was the 2013 tournament, vcu had left for the A-10 already, vcu's fans went over to 100+ army soldiers from the nearby base and gave them Northeastern towels, t-shirts, or something related to Northeastern and got them to cheer against us during the entire game. We lost a close one to NE. Will never forget that.

The hatred for that home team and classless fanbase hit an all time high at that 2011 point and have never looked back.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Probably one of our worst performances as a team at the CAA tourney and against our worst foe at the worst time possible. We were sitting on the aisle and next to the rams section to the right of us and 4-5 ram fans just kept getting up and coming over to our rows and fanbase and rubbing it in, talking smack, and cheering all up in our faces.... our 6'4 friend almost fought all of them LOL. We did have a good fan base then but not as rowdy as the home team would get and that would piss us off more. A lot of the fanbase would just sit in their seats and barely stand.

Then when we played Northeastern one year, I believe it was the 2013 tournament, vcu had left for the A-10 already, vcu's fans went over to 100+ army soldiers from the nearby base and gave them Northeastern towels, t-shirts, or something related to Northeastern and got them to cheer against us during the entire game. We lost a close one to NE. Will never forget that.

The hatred for that home team and classless fanbase hit an all time high at that 2011 point and have never looked back.
The Northeastern debacle in Richmond was what made it possible to move on from Hewitt as quickly as we did. Mason blew a 25-point lead in the semifinals, with JMU waiting in the final. We had beaten JMU what seemed like 30 times in a row and if we had made the NCAAs, Hewitt probably gets an extension and we would’ve been stuck with him for a few more painful, futile years.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
The Northeastern debacle in Richmond was what made it possible to move on from Hewitt as quickly as we did. Mason blew a 25-point lead in the semifinals, with JMU waiting in the final. We had beaten JMU what seemed like 30 times in a row and if we had made the NCAAs, Hewitt probably gets an extension and we would’ve been stuck with him for a few more painful, futile years.
Is it bad I think "eh might have been worth it to make the NCAAs again"?

Then again that would require Hewitt winning a key game. Not something his teams were good at. They also weren't good at holding 25-point (or any amount) leads. Remember how, game after game, we'd be up like 20-6 at the U16 timeout, then the opposing coach would make a simple adjustment and put his team in the driver's seat for the rest of the game?

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Is it bad I think "eh might have been worth it to make the NCAAs again"?

Then again that would require Hewitt winning a key game. Not something his teams were good at. They also weren't good at holding 25-point (or any amount) leads. Remember how, game after game, we'd be up like 20-6 at the U16 timeout, then the opposing coach would make a simple adjustment and put his team in the driver's seat for the rest of the game?
I had the same thought while reading that post. With where we are in 2023, in hindsight I would absolutely take an NCAA appearance in 2013 in exchange for a couple more years of Hewitt. How have the years since been any different? Every year since we have pretty much been between 120 and 220 in rankings and entirely irrelevant nationally.