2022-2023 Season; Hopes, Dreams, Wishes, Analysis & Predictions

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
My Twitter feed was completely clogged with St. Bonnaventure content during last year's NIT and I did not care at all about it. It's fun if your team is in it because the competition is still good. Hell, I enjoyed our CBI run back in 2013 but I didn't expect anyone who isn't a Mason fan to do the same.

The NCAA is where it's at. I'd take a First Four loss over an NIT run. I'd take a root canal over another CIB appearance.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Recruits want to play in the NCAAs. Enough said.
theoretically yes , actuality no
350+ Division 1 men's bball teams
68 NCAA tourney entries

20% of teams make the tourney
80% dont
many 4 year college players will not play in an NCAA Tourney game
although i am sure many are recruited on the idea that if they come the team will make it to the NCAA Tourney

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That's a good question.

For a larger program like a UCLA, def. the NCAA tournament. More prestigious and an invite to one clearly shows how a program is viewed by the selection committees. For a mid-major and/or building program like ours, I think there's a solid argument at the very least to be made for a Championship vs. a one-and-done.

1. Five post-season games vs. one
2. Potential home game(s)
3. Two weeks heightened fan/community focused interest
4. Two nationally broadcast games in Madison Square Garden
5. A Championship vs. Participation banner
6. Season ends on a high note (win vs. a loss), for me at least, being in the Patriot Center. when we beat Tennessee in '04 was more enjoyable/memorable than being in a bar watching Notre Dame kick our a** in '08

I also think there's an argument that can be made for recruiting too. Five opportunities to say "look how close we are" and "you can get us over the hump" if you come here, as well as invite to come watch the game in-person and get schmoozed.
Lots of good points. But I think the NCAA wins out.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Ncaa. I don’t buy the use other tournaments as springboard rhetoric anymore. The big dance is what matters.

And I never want to see mason participate in the CBI. Ever.
I liked it when we did. Almost won the darn thing. But that was then, this is now.
Yep, no more CBI.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
theoretically yes , actuality no
350+ Division 1 men's bball teams
68 NCAA tourney entries

20% of teams make the tourney
80% dont
many 4 year college players will not play in an NCAA Tourney game
although i am sure many are recruited on the idea that if they come the team will make it to the NCAA Tourney
All of them want to experience March Madness firsthand even if many never will. And the ones with options will choose schools that have better opportunities to get there … reality is nobody gives half a shit about the NIT.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
And to be clear, if a team like Mason gets invited you damn well take the invitation. Unless you were one of the four 1 seeds, you weren’t that close to getting an at-large anyway.

A run to MSG would be pretty cool and probably a bucket-list venue for players to play in (but I’ll take that in the NIT Season Tip-Off over the secondary postseason tournament, please).

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
And to be clear, if a team like Mason gets invited you damn well take the invitation. Unless you were one of the four 1 seeds, you weren’t that close to getting an at-large anyway.

A run to MSG would be pretty cool and probably a bucket-list venue for players to play in (but I’ll take that in the NIT Season Tip-Off over the secondary postseason tournament, please).
I mean I’d certainly root for mason to play at MSG, haha. I’ve had to settle for Brooklyn.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

Not quite breaking news from ncaa.org but the NIT finals are no longer at MSG:

"The National Invitation Tournament has selected Las Vegas to host the 2023 NIT semifinals and championship and Indianapolis to host the 2024 event. The two host cities were selected after a nation-wide bid process in the spring."

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

"The National Invitation Tournament has selected Las Vegas to host the 2023 NIT semifinals and championship and Indianapolis to host the 2024 event. The two host cities were selected after a nation-wide bid process in the spring."
I stand corrected. Two places I wouldn't really want to drag myself to over an NIT semifinal run.

Of course I say that now...

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

Out here we call Vegas "the 9th island" with constant flights to and from HNL every day. I'd probably have to go.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Not really sure where to post this, but the pics from last night that have been posted on social media from the photo/video shoot look incredible. I can't wait to see the final product during the intros this year.

I gotta think our social media content is tops in the A10.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Not really sure where to post this, but the pics from last night that have been posted on social media from the photo/video shoot look incredible. I can't wait to see the final product during the intros this year.

I gotta think our social media content is tops in the A10.
Best band and best social media content!!! Suck on that A10!!!! :p

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Justyn Fernandez, George Mason: Kim English beat out several power conference programs for the 6-5 Fernandez, who has the ability to be an all-conference caliber player for multiple seasons in the Atlantic 10. Remember the name.

Starter by Conference games?

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023

Justyn Fernandez, George Mason: Kim English beat out several power conference programs for the 6-5 Fernandez, who has the ability to be an all-conference caliber player for multiple seasons in the Atlantic 10. Remember the name.

Starter by Conference games?
My guess is starter by game 1

ephoops

Starter
Looking at JF’s AAU film, I think he’s a more athletic version of Justin Kier (with a better jump shot). I said earlier that it would not surprise me if both JF and Dinkins are staring by conference games.