2021-2022 Mason roster

OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
There's a misconception that a lot of the holdovers aren't A-10 level talent. They are. DP just didn't recruit any stars and not enough (cumatively) of certain skill sets and size.

You don't have to purge everyone. A guy like Hartwell can still occasionally help you win games off the bench...unfortunately with him and XJ it's undersized redundancy.

Bring back Miller and add one transfer big and you have a squad that has a really good shot at meaningful postseason.

God forbid one or a few of the freshmen or sophomores evolves into one of sleeperpick's coveted "four good players" as well. I know it's a long climb to senior level AJ "good player" status, but maybe it can be done.

FreeGunston12

All-American
#textabuddy. I think Walton would be a great fit for one of the spots. He has all the size and tools to be a starter for us, but his injuries have limited his minutes in his career. He averaged 15 per game last year. Oduro averaged 24. Throw in a couple spot minutes of Henry at the 5, and the position is covered.

If Miller comes back, he gives us a lot of versatility with lineups along with Schwartz, Frazier, and Gadsden (I think). We'd be pretty deep at the 3/4. Hopefully Kolek returns. If not, I'd assume KE would look to fill in the roster with another shooting guard. Hopefully one that can rotate to the 1 if the production in that spot isn't great.

In defense of our 1's on the current roster, they have all shown different sorts of flashes. XJ looked like a star right out of the gate his freshman year. I was at that Navy game and thought we really had found a special player. Polite had that breakout game against GW at the end of the year. Hartwell had a pretty nice non-conference stretch in 19/20 before missing time due to "extended illness". Don't know a whole lot about Gray, but apparently he is Devonte Graham reincarnate. I'm just hopeful that KE (and in some cases just good health) can get these guys playing to their potential more consistently.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Loved him coming out of HS and would love to have him at Mason ... he doesn’t address the need at the 5 though

Yeah, I'm looking at the roster imbalance in general. You have Oduro, Henry, and nothing else. 6' 8" transfer that Mason has a realistic shot at, in my opinion.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Is Mason targeting any PGs? We need a taller Otis!

Not immediately. I know English has a PG offer out for someone in the 2022 class that is a priority. I suspect it will be Polite's role with Hartwell XJ and Gray playing minutes at the point.

emjayar08

Sixth Man
If all we want out of a starting PG is a facilitator that can play defense, then I guess XJ would be more valuable to have than Hartwell. But Hartwell has actually won us some games. His per40 stats are a lot higher in scoring, 3pt%, FT% and even turnover %.

Bottom line, the two are very different PGs, but until Polite gets a consistent shooting stroke, Hartwell is the only one that can consistently make his FTs and make big shots at the PG position.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If all we want out of a starting PG is a facilitator that can play defense, then I guess XJ would be more valuable to have than Hartwell. But Hartwell has actually won us some games. His per40 stats are a lot higher in scoring, 3pt%, FT% and even turnover %.

Bottom line, the two are very different PGs, but until Polite gets a consistent shooting stroke, Hartwell is the only one that can consistently make his FTs and make big shots at the PG position.
If you can’t defend your position you can’t play the point in the A-10. Our PGs’ inability to stay in front of their man has been the primary source of our defensive woes and it’s looking like they won’t have AJ around to bail them out with his shot-blocking, so Kim had better find some guys who can sit down and defend.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If you can’t defend your position you can’t play the point in the A-10. Our PGs’ inability to stay in front of their man has been the primary source of our defensive woes and it’s looking like they won’t have AJ around to bail them out with his shot-blocking, so Kim had better find some guys who can sit down and defend.
Interesting how times have changed. PG play used to be our strength.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Interesting how times have changed. PG play used to be our strength.

Yeah it was a strength under Otis and Dave always made sure we had depth because they even had Kolek and Greene playing PG at points, but now we have depth on paper and I'm not sure how much in ability.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You know your coach is washed when he has to try to poach players off the roster of his former school ... hopefully Miller tells him to eat a d!ck
What would be really interesting is if Miller asks Caputo, "Coach, if you would've gotten the job at Mason, what would you have said to convince me to stay instead of going to Miami?"