2021-2022 Mason roster

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think complete opposite. Miller had like three revealed offers and kolek has about 25 (that also doesn’t make much sense to me since Miller is double the player kolek is. I think he’s narrowing the list each day and talking to the coaches. Not surprised at all he and his people are taking their time.

Who else did Miller hear from? Can't seem to find it.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Agreed on one end of the equation - but those 25 slots will start getting filled if Kolek takes too much time. The fact something compelling hasn't pulled him in one direction or another would bode well for him staying. I still think odds are he is gone - but I do think after a certain point - the window starts closing.
KE would not be moving so aggressively to fill the roster if Miller and/or Kolek had told him they are open to returning. Just glad we have a coach who can recruit — I think we’ve upgraded with the duo of Schwartz and Cooper, but we could use one more immediate impact player on the offensive end to make this team dangerous.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Possible starting lineup with minutes in parenthesis. Assuming Miller to Miami and that Kolek is gone as well. Losing both Miller and Kolek will be a major set back in terms of depth. The overall quality of the roster gets weaker barring another transfer.

Polite (25) / Gray/XJ (15)
Cooper (30) / Need someone
Schwartz (30) / Frazier III (10)
Gaines (30) / Need someone
Oduro (30) / Henry (10) Depth a problem in the post.
No respect for Gadsden? I see him as the backup 4 along with Mbaye.

I also see Frazier as the likely starter at the 4 (if the roster holds) with Gaines seeing much fewer than 30 minutes a game. I think his role will be to rotate in and put on one heck of a full court press on to run the other team while Schwartz or Cooper gets a breather.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I also see Frazier as the likely starter at the 4 (if the roster holds) with Gaines seeing much fewer than 30 minutes a game. I think his role will be to rotate in and put on one heck of a full court press on to run the other team while Schwartz or Cooper gets a breather.
The kid with two D1 offers that KE didn’t recruit probably won’t/shouldn’t be in the rotation. Did Frazier grow 5 inches I wasn’t aware of? That’s an awfully small 4 especially with no rim protector

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Miller is no longer listed on the roster - https://gomason.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Frazier isn’t at all a 4. He’s a classic 2/3 swingman.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Ideal scenario, the staff finds somebody to start ahead of Malik at the 4. That allows Schwartz to play the 3 and Cooper the 2, with Oduro and Polite. That’s a pretty damn decent lineup for an A-10 squad.

If need be, Schwartz slides to the 4 and either Frazier or Gaines starts at the 3.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Ideal scenario, the staff finds somebody to start ahead of Malik at the 4. That allows Schwartz to play the 3 and Cooper the 2, with Oduro and Polite. That’s a pretty damn decent lineup for an A-10 squad.

If need be, Schwartz slides to the 4 and either Frazier or Gaines starts at the 3.
Ideally Malik is a stud and the staff gets a freshman to develop. Just my opinion though

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Ideally Malik is a stud and the staff gets a freshman to develop. Just my opinion though
He has a ton of ability but he’s still skinny and basically a first-year player considering DP glued him to the bench. Get a grad transfer and you have the luxury of easing Malik in with 10-15 minutes a game, then hope he is ready to be unleashed in Year 3

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He has a ton of ability but he’s still skinny and basically a first-year player considering DP glued him to the bench. Get a grad transfer and you have the luxury of easing Malik in with 10-15 minutes a game, then hope he is ready to be unleashed in Year 3
So barring any defections from the current roster, you would rather add a 4 as opposed to another scoring guard for the final spot?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So barring any defections from the current roster, you would rather add a 4 as opposed to another scoring guard for the final spot?
We’re getting into a bit of a pickle because we need both. Right now we still need to solidify down low but PG is still a glaring hole at this point IMO.

I expect that Ronnie will be a candidate to make big strides this off-season, especially given the minutes he got last year, but court vision/facilitation skills are the toughest things to develop (which IMO along with ball handling were some areas he needed to improve if he’s going to be a 1) in a COVID offseason where you can’t necessarily work with other guys.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
But for those of you interested in another scoring guard:

DC kid who entered the portal. I’ve seen nothing indicating we are in but fun to keep an eye on.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes I expect Cooper to be a 30-minute player and possibly our leading scorer, with Frazier and Gaines backing up the 2 and 3 spots.

To maximize Schwartz’s value as a big SF, I’d rather not have to slide him up a spot and make him guard the 4 if we can land a veteran guy there.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
But for those of you interested in another scoring guard:

DC kid who entered the portal. I’ve seen nothing indicating we are in but fun to keep an eye on.

He went to Notre Dame Prep like KE ... could be a connection there

FreeGunston12

All-American
The kid with two D1 offers that KE didn’t recruit probably won’t/shouldn’t be in the rotation. Did Frazier grow 5 inches I wasn’t aware of? That’s an awfully small 4 especially with no rim protector
Has 25 lbs on Gaines. 6-6 207 vs 6-7 181. Played limited minutes at the 4 last year (arguably where he was most effective -- in 30 minutes against vcu). Start him at the "3" if it makes you feel more comfortable with Schwartz at the "4", but I don't think it matters too much how you delineate it.

There is no clear cut starting 3/4 to pair with Schwartz right now. So yes, I think Frazier is as likely to get that spot as anyone else on the current roster.

Last edited: