2021-2022 Mason roster

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If anyone is getting nudged out at the PG spot it isn’t Gray. We have no idea what he can become ... can’t say that about a couple other dudes.
Another instance where I agree with you! What has the world come too. I’m really excited for Gray. I’m no talent evaluator, but he seems like a a prototypical PG, and that’s exactly what Mason needs.

Mason32

Starter
If anyone is getting nudged out at the PG spot it isn’t Gray. We have no idea what he can become ... can’t say that about a couple other dudes.

So he's going to get playing time over XJ, Hartwell, and Polite? Assuming no other guards are added

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
So he's going to get playing time over XJ, Hartwell, and Polite? Assuming no other guards are added
From what I can tell, I think Gray has a different skill set than XJ, and polite.

Gray looks like he can be a facilitator. Whereas, XJ and polite are going to put their head down and get to the rim.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
A lot will depend on the health of XJ and Gray. We haven't had a true point guard in years. Gray averaged 3.7 assists per game during the 19-20 season in high school and 4.1 this year in limited action. Our leading assist guy last year was Kolek at 2.3 per game. Polite averaged 1.1 assist per game, XJ 1.8 per game (2.2 for his career), and Hartwell 1.1 per game (1.2 for his 3 year career). Not exactly stand out numbers on any level. I have Polite starting because of the guards mentioned above he is the best defender. If Gray is as advertised I can see him backing up Polite. Both have good size at 6'2". I am worried about XJ's health and complete lack of shooting ability. Hartwell doesn't pass, doesn't shoot well, and can't defend. He is the odd man out of the equation in my opinion. As always, time will tell and answer all questions.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Many,many years when i was a Graduate Student, The football coach was fired and replaced with a new coach. The new coach did not want all of the players he had inherited and wanted his own players. The unwanted players had their athletic scholarships pulled and had them replaced with academic scholarships of the same terms,but without the athletic commitment. About 25% of those who lost their football scholarship transferred to another university and played there. About 75% stayed at the university and worked towards their degrees, a few joined the track team and most just played intramural sports.

Could the same situation occur with the Mason Basketball Program?

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Many,many years when i was a Graduate Student, The football coach was fired and replaced with a new coach. The new coach did not want all of the players he had inherited and wanted his own players. The unwanted players had their athletic scholarships pulled and had them replaced with academic scholarships of the same terms,but without the athletic commitment. About 25% of those who lost their football scholarship transferred to another university and played there. About 75% stayed at the university and worked towards their degrees, a few joined the track team and most just played intramural sports.

Absolutely. 4 have already moved on.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

I think what likely will happen with a couple of the guys who haven’t already left is they will figure out where they sit in the food chain and have to decide whether they like Mason enough to hardly ever see the floor. Because there aren’t enough minutes to go around for 13 players ... the vast majority of guys don’t have to be forced out, they want to play and will go somewhere that gives them the best chance to do that.

Particularly at the PG position, all 4 of those guys are not going to be in the rotation. Even with playing 2 PGs together at times you don’t need more than 3.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I was thinking more in terms of would they be relieved of their basketball scholarship and stay at Mason and continue their studies on an academic scholarship. An honest evaluation of the basketball skills may mean moving to a lower level basketball university and some may wish to stay for a Mason Degree.

Would Mason support the players who the coach doesn't want but who still want to stay for the degree?

I don't believe that any where in this discussion of the transfer portal and moving to another school has there been a discussion about the effect on academics and graduating from college.

I believe Football and Men's Basketball have 2 of the lowest graduation rates and I wonder what effects this "Mass Transfer" will have on that?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think what likely will happen with a couple of the guys who haven’t already left is they will figure out where they sit in the food chain and have to decide whether they like Mason enough to hardly ever see the floor. Because there aren’t enough minutes to go around for 13 players ... the vast majority of guys don’t have to be forced out, they want to play and will go somewhere that gives them the best chance to do that.

Particularly at the PG position, all 4 of those guys are not going to be in the rotation. Even with playing 2 PGs together at times you don’t need more than 3.
I just hope if it’s going to happen it’s sooner rather than later. I would hate to see us with 2 open scholarships in august because guys didn’t see the writing on the wall while they were at home.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

University of Miami expected to land George Mason leading scorer​

happy for Jordan if this is the case. I’ll be rooting for him in the ACC.