2019 Recruiting

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe I'm still biased from the larranaga years, but I firmly believe that the way you succeed at the mid-major level (and, like it or not, the A-10 is still mid-major. High mid-major, but mid-major) is by recruiting the "inch too short" and "step too slow" guys who are really good basketball players.

Guys like Reuter, actually, who got an offer from UVa after most of the big time programs backed off him.

Winning as a mid-major isn't about finding NBA guys, it's about finding guys who can play in Europe, and having a bunch of them as upper-classmen. It's about getting old and staying old with a bunch of "flawed" guys who really know how to play, and really know how to play together.

I think that's where we are now. We're old, and we're skilled, and each guy is a little flawed (Otis is too slight and not athletic, reuter is too short, Kier can't shoot, Mar is between positions), but they're all good players, and they've got a ton of experience, and so they're going to be a really good team.

the virus tried recruiting a bunch of "if things break right, they could be NBA players" types, and while there were some hits (thompson, the kid who transferred to providence), there were a lot of misses, and his teams generally sucked.

Give me guys who play 8 years in belgium because they're a 6'1 shooting guard.

Another excellent post. I think the quality of this board has improved along with the program.

JBiggs

Starter
Very true, Herndon. It's about finding the right fit, and players who know how to fill a role efficiently and effectively. Great P5 teams are filled with elite players who have some combination of elite skill, IQ, size, and/or athleticism. Great mid-majors are filled with elite role players, who as you say have some gaps in skill, IQ, size, and/or athleticism.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Very true, Herndon. It's about finding the right fit, and players who know how to fill a role efficiently and effectively. Great P5 teams are filled with elite players who have some combination of elite skill, IQ, size, and/or athleticism. Great mid-majors are filled with elite role players, who as you say have some gaps in skill, IQ, size, and/or athleticism.

Not only guys who know how to fill a role, but are willing to accept a role that may be less than what they would prefer.

I think it’s the hardest part of recruiting today — the kids are more skilled/athletic overall because of AAU, but about 99 percent of them think they’re going to the league.

That means to keep a team together and develop it over time, mid-major coaches have to sign kids who have requisite talent, discipline and work ethic, but who also value winning over playing time and individual accolades. I don’t envy them.

NewPatriot

Starter
Unless he’s a stiff, a guy that size is gonna wind up at a P5 like Wahab. If he is a stiff, our staff won’t want him. Can’t see it happening.

Well he is definitely not a stiff,Paulsen did a great job with thompson and mason upgraded their practice facilities...the point is Mason has a shot if they accentuate the positive.

LaSalle's is seriously in the hunt for 7'3 4* Naheem Mcleod with a 1st year coach and no facililties to speak of.

If Lasalle can do it then I will say with all the positive energy. ...Mason can do it!!! :D

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think he's trying to suggest our new recruits aren't too hot.

It's way too early to determine how good they will be, but my biggest pet peeve about a press release like that is it doesn't mention a single statistic for either player. That's either a huge oversight by whomever wrote it, or they left those numbers out for a reason.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Johnson averaged 7.5 pts in 4 AAU games. How come I can't find any other offers for this kid.

We beat out some patriot league teams and Townson for Oduro.

I'm pumped. :bricks:

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Johnson averaged 7.5 pts in 4 AAU games. How come I can't find any other offers for this kid.

We beat out some patriot league teams and Townson for Oduro.

I'm pumped. :bricks:

See my recruiting post in the 2018 season thread.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's way too early to determine how good they will be, but my biggest pet peeve about a press release like that is it doesn't mention a single statistic for either player. That's either a huge oversight by whomever wrote it, or they left those numbers out for a reason.
They have really awesome names for basketball players!

XAVIER JOHNSON

JOSHUA ODURO

Their names have a certain tone to them.

Last edited:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Transfers are tricky. As we are learning.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Painter had offers from just about every single A-10 program: St. Joes, Mason, GW, Fordham, URI, La Salle, Davidson, and Richmond.