2019 Recruiting

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Paulsen doesn’t do anyone any favors on defense sticking them on islands. Our defense is not well connected and we aren’t really doing anything to force players into positions where help can come or even where they are less likely to score.

agreed. Normally we’ve seen a Paulsen coached team throw some wrinkles or adjustments after getting down a little bit. It happens at least occasionally.

Yesterday there was no adjustment, no doubles, nothing that threw bonaventure off even for a few minutes so they could have a chance.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
agreed. Normally we’ve seen a Paulsen coached team throw some wrinkles or adjustments after getting down a little bit. It happens at least occasionally.

Yesterday there was no adjustment, no doubles, nothing that threw bonaventure off even for a few minutes so they could have a chance.

Part of me feels like he’s not even trying anymore. We’ll beat the less-talented teams and lose meekly to the teams better than us. Because apparently that’s what nice guys do.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Perhaps, it's time for a slogan that encapsulates the current state of the program. My suggestion is: "Paulsen Fatigue".

psyclone

Hall of Famer

Welch and Lofton went something like 17-23 for the game. Doubling the post would leave them even more open for 3's. Not many defensive choices available against a team that can beat you inside and outside. Pick your poison.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Welch and Lofton went something like 17-23 for the game. Doubling the post would leave them even more open for 3's. Not many defensive choices available against a team that can beat you inside and outside. Pick your poison.

Lofton isn’t a 3 point shooter though. Welch was the only 3 point shooter to worry about in that game and they let him shoot 4-4 in the first half (they shot 5-14 for the entire game). So I don’t really buy the inside and outside argument there.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I know it probably wouldn’t have helped, but throwing a wrinkle is something you have to try to do. Less likely to hit a three than an easy layup just from percentage of chance of ball going in the hoop.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Lofton isn’t a 3 point shooter though. Welch was the only 3 point shooter to worry about in that game and they let him shoot 4-4 in the first half (they shot 5-14 for the entire game). So I don’t really buy the inside and outside argument there.

The announcers indicated that after yesterday's first half, Welch had made 12 out of his last 15 3s that he had taken. He was killing us.

I totally thought Oduro would be more defensive/rebounding than offense after watching him at PVI, but I guess when you have guards going to Duke, UNC, etc maybe you just don't get to show enough offense.