2015 Recruiting

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm a little more patient than you are. This will be his defining year. We can't chew up a coach after 3 years. When did Mason become a pressure cooker of expectations like Kentucky?

Don't underestimate what a crazy fan base can do. Wouldn't you be happy with sold out games at Patriot Center? Fans camping out for tickets. Pure delusion, National Champions Tattooted on your partners back, ashley judd at our games shaking her tits and every recruit wanting to play at Mason?

Back on topic, I have patience, just not for fools. A fool is someone who makes the same mistakes over and over. That fool is Hewitt. Roster mistakes. In game mistakes...all of which are a broken record.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It's almost like you don't want Hewitt to have a great year and get an extension.

I'm a Redskins fan. You're a Raider fan. I guess we both have patience if we've waited over 20 years for something to come out of Oakland and DC respectively.

An extenstion???HAAAAAAAA are you nuts???

No. I DO NOT WANT HEWITT HERE. He couldn't coach a talented squad in a crappy caa. both years underachieved madly. His u19 national team finished worse than any team assembled. I just don't think he can coach during the game. He's a great man. Not a great or even good basketball coach. Hell , he'd prob make a great AD.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's almost like you don't want Hewitt to have a great year and get an extension.

I certainly don't at this point. I think we've seen enough of Hewitt's coaching to know there is going to be no long-term turnaround even if year four's record is significantly better.

Hewitt reminds me a lot of Matt Brady. Matt Brady had a good year in the last year of his contract, got extended, and the very next year he went 11-20. I certainly don't want that for Mason.

If you want to believe otherwise, you are free to do so. But I will say this, there is nothing wrong with a little skepticism from the fanbase, a little "show me" mentality. Most everyone on this board will still support the program, go to the games, watch them on TV and buy Mason gear regardless. So our support is there no matter how much the team sucks.

BUT, it does the men's basketball program no good to be perennially hopeful that somehow the coach will turn things around, that the next batch of recruits will "get it" and everything will click. That's a recipe for indefinite irrelevancy and mediocrity

GMURaider

Sixth Man
Is the support really there if we can't sell out the Patriot Center for a top 10 team in SLU? Or did the majority of our fans stop caring after L left?
I certainly don't at this point. I think we've seen enough of Hewitt's coaching to know there is going to be no long-term turnaround even if year four's record is significantly better.

Hewitt reminds me a lot of Matt Brady. Matt Brady had a good year in the last year of his contract, got extended, and the very next year he went 11-20. I certainly don't want that for Mason.

If you want to believe otherwise, you are free to do so. But I will say this, there is nothing wrong with a little skepticism from the fanbase, a little "show me" mentality. Most everyone on this board will still support the program, go to the games, watch them on TV and buy Mason gear regardless. So our support is there no matter how much the team sucks.

BUT, it does the men's basketball program no good to be perennially hopeful that somehow the coach will turn things around, that the next batch of recruits will "get it" and everything will click. That's a recipe for indefinite irrelevancy and mediocrity

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The lone reason I want Hewitt to shock the world and do enough to get an extension is because I'd like to see if the crop of incoming freshmen develops into something incredible.

I think we have some very interesting young players in Mayimba and Porter -- it would be a shame if they transferred out because of a coaching change.

Otherwise, I wouldn't care if Hewitt was fired yesterday.

His record over most of the past 15 years says that he is what he is -- a very good recruiter, but mediocre at best when it comes to coaching.

He's not going to change and become something he's not, just because some posters on a message board are absurdly optimistic.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Potential 2015 recruit?

Alex Kline@TheRecruitScoop Follow
2014 Poly (MD) PG John Crosby - who nearly committed to George Mason in the fall - will take a postgrad year, a source says.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Per GMUHoops- he confirmed the staff is no longer recruiting Crosby. I think Crosby thinks he can get higher offers (or his grades need to be improved or something of that nature).

Dawgs99

Starter
From what I've read Crosby is a very bright kid so I'm going to assume that grades are not the issue. More likely that he ended up not getting the offers he was hoping for and wants the extra year to improve his stock. Good luck to him.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Back on topic..Kenny Williams from LC Bird got an offer from Cincinnati..He had an offer from Mason early on.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Back on topic..Kenny Williams from LC Bird got an offer from Cincinnati..He had an offer from Mason early on.

UNC is probably gonna offer Kenny soon. That will start the feeding frenzy, all of the big dogs will be coming after him.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
@TheRecruitScoop: George Mason is the latest to offer 2015 guard Fletcher McGee of Each 1 Teach 1 (FL).

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
@TheRecruitScoop: George Mason is the latest to offer 2015 guard Fletcher McGee of Each 1 Teach 1 (FL).
Makes free throws, can come off a screen and nail a shot with a quick release, is fundamental with both hands, and is "deceptively athletic", I like it.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I also saw Mason (and Memphis) offered Justin Robinson, a 6'1 PG for 2015. He has a lot of high major offers however, but is a local kid.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Mayimba's HS teammate, I think. Will that make any difference? Who knows?

That'd be awesome to get him because of that connection. I feel like I've seen his name tied to a Mason Madness a while ago though? Could be dreaming.