15 Minutes Thread

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Article on Buffalo:
https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/21/...-nick-perkins-josh-pastner-jim-larranaga-mac/
"When Jim Larranaga coached at George Mason in Fairfax, Va., from 1997 to 2011, he did it with a core of players from Washington, D.C., Virginia and Maryland, and with players who had experience. UB has that now, with a lineup that includes seniors and starters Montell McRae, CJ Massinburg and Jeremy Harris, and Perkins, a senior forward and the three-time MAC Sixth Man of the Year. Those four played in either or both the 2016 and 2018 MAC and NCAA tournaments.

“The thing that separates the very good, consistently winning mid-major programs is their experience,” said Larranaga, now in his eighth season at Miami (Fla.). “They tend to stay old, meaning that you always have juniors and seniors who are leading you. You get in and you’re a good freshman, but there are upperclassmen who are ahead of you in the pecking order."

J

JDK

Spectator
Article on Buffalo:
https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/21/...-nick-perkins-josh-pastner-jim-larranaga-mac/
"When Jim Larranaga coached at George Mason in Fairfax, Va., from 1997 to 2011, he did it with a core of players from Washington, D.C., Virginia and Maryland, and with players who had experience. UB has that now, with a lineup that includes seniors and starters Montell McRae, CJ Massinburg and Jeremy Harris, and Perkins, a senior forward and the three-time MAC Sixth Man of the Year. Those four played in either or both the 2016 and 2018 MAC and NCAA tournaments.

“The thing that separates the very good, consistently winning mid-major programs is their experience,” said Larranaga, now in his eighth season at Miami (Fla.). “They tend to stay old, meaning that you always have juniors and seniors who are leading you. You get in and you’re a good freshman, but there are upperclassmen who are ahead of you in the pecking order."

living in the past

J

JDK

Spectator
Dude, are you not aware of what the purpose of this thread is?

This thread makes us look like we are clinging to our one big accomplishment which is getting older and older with each passing year.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This thread makes us look like we are clinging to our one big accomplishment which is getting older and older with each passing year.

You mean like Davidson and Steph Curry?

Listen, you embrace your past and history and an accomplishment like a final four (which is more rare than you think). You keep that final four alive no matter how old it is. Most likely it will never happen again in our lifetime.

J

JDK

Spectator
You mean like Davidson and Steph Curry?

Listen, you embrace your past and history and an accomplishment like a final four (which is more rare than you think). You keep that final four alive no matter how old it is. Most likely it will never happen again in our lifetime.

Davidson has actually had some postseason success and has built upward post their run.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Davidson has actually had some postseason success and has built upward post their run.

What postseason success have they had post-2008? Can you name a single postseason win (maybe their NIT win against South Carolina in 2009 -- does that even count)? After Steph Curry, they are 0-6 in the postseason.

J

JDK

Spectator
What postseason success have they had post-2008? Can you name a single postseason win (maybe their NIT win against South Carolina in 2009 -- does that even count)? After Steph Curry, they are 0-6 in the postseason.

At least they MAKE IT

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
At least they MAKE IT

I'll give you that. But our drought isn't as long as URI's (18 years) or certainly Duquense's (41 years) yet. And I can guarantee you that both those fan bases live on their past best accomplishments to sustain themselves during down times.

At least we aren't Fordham!

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
This thread has 13 years of history behind it and It has nothing to do with reliving the past as you suggest. A poster from the caazone days (I think Johnny Rifle) told us, essentially, our run would soon be forgotten, and for us to enjoy our fifteen minutes of fame. This thread was set up to track how long our run would be remembered to show him how wrong his prediction was.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Speaking of the final four and living in the past, I went thru some of my final four bin at my parents house and found my tickets, my cup and various newspapers from the run. I also found my newspaper from when mason beat nova. Also found my sports illustrated with Lamar butler on it and my picture with Mikey the chimp.

Hard to look at it considering how hard mason has fell, but always fun to look and reminisce about through items I collected.

Last edited:
J

JDK

Spectator
This thread has 13 years of history behind it and It has nothing to do with reliving the past as you suggest. A poster from the caazone days (I think Johnny Rifle) told us, essentially, our run would soon be forgotten, and for us to enjoy our fifteen minutes of fame. This thread was set up to track how long our run would be remembered to show him how wrong his prediction was.

Let's be forward thinking instead of stretching out something from 13 years ago.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Let's be forward thinking instead of stretching out something from 13 years ago.

Since this thread really bugs you....DON'T CLICK ON IT!

Just about every other thread we have is "forward" oriented. Hey there's even threads that talk about recruiting people that wouldn't enter Mason for 3 years!

I fail to see the harm in reveling in Mason's One Shining Moment. UConn was every bit the top #1 seed that Duke is today. 5 or 6 guys who were drafted into the NBA. And us with a bunch of local kids that weren't being chased by any of the Power 5. What a David and Goliath story that was!

It may never happen again at Mason, but it's part of our heritage as fans. Honoring that heritage is not the same as living in the past.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So are Americans losers for

Celebrating July 4th?
Honoring D-Day?

That shit happened in the ancient past, right?

Come on man, even if Mason goes on to 5 more Final Fours, the first one will still hold a special place in most fans and Alumnis' hearts. The first time most people across the country even heard of our school was becuase of that moment. Nothing wrong with honoring the past.