15 Minutes Thread

NewPatriot

Starter
I ran a search for "Mason Villanova 2011" on YouTube. All I saw were ugly videos of people who had recorded their TVs using their mobile phones. Found nothing on NCAA site either. Where can one find this game in decent resolution?

here you go. This was originally from the Vault. Now it's been moved to Youtube. You used to be able to see all the old 70's games like the 1976 hoosiers with Scott May, Tom Abernathy, and Ken Benson.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
here you go. This was originally from the Vault. Now it's been moved to Youtube. You used to be able to see all the old 70's games like the 1976 hoosiers with Scott May, Tom Abernathy, and Ken Benson.

This isn’t what he asked for??¿?

JBiggs

Starter
I'm listening to the Woj pod with Grant Hill, and Grant said after his freshman orientation at Duke, he called Tommy Amaker (then an assistant there), and said he felt he want sure if he was good enough to play at Duke...and wanted to transfer to George Mason :eatingfingers:

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm listening to the Woj pod with Grant Hill, and Grant said after his freshman orientation at Duke, he called Tommy Amaker (then an assistant there), and said he felt he want sure if he was good enough to play at Duke...and wanted to transfer to George Mason :eatingfingers:

Yup... Grant's always been the one that got away.

Something similar (Source from an admissions officer) After Scottie Reynolds de-committed from Oklahoma after Kelvin Smith left, Scottie's Dad called the admissions office asking to talk to Coach L. Not sure how close we were to landing him but there was definitely interest. This was right after we made the Final Four. Grant it Scottie isn't Grant Hill, but he was a 1st Team All-American.

I also heard that Mo Alie-Cox wanted to come to Mason, but wasn't able to qualify academically or something like that. So of course vcu scooped him up.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Why would Scottie's dad call the admissions office? Coach L was the admissions office!

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yup... Grant's always been the one that got away.

Something similar (Source from an admissions officer) After Scottie Reynolds de-committed from Oklahoma after Kelvin Smith left, Scottie's Dad called the admissions office asking to talk to Coach L. Not sure how close we were to landing him but there was definitely interest. This was right after we made the Final Four. Grant it Scottie isn't Grant Hill, but he was a 1st Team All-American.

I also heard that Mo Alie-Cox wanted to come to Mason, but wasn't able to qualify academically or something like that. So of course vcu scooped him up.

I could believe there was interest with Scottie Reynolds, if I recall (why I remember this I'll never know), they said when Mason played Nova in 08 that he was the first D1 offer he had.

And yeah, Ive heard the same thing about Mo Alie Cox, but I guess Hewitt didn't want him or whatever the issue was.

There have been various other close calls recruiting wise over the years too. I'm still convinced the 2011-2012 team with Shane Larkin and Luke Hancock will be the greatest team we'll never see hit the floor. Supposedly Georges Niang was close to committing too.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I could believe there was interest with Scottie Reynolds, if I recall (why I remember this I'll never know), they said when Mason played Nova in 08 that he was the first D1 offer he had.

And yeah, Ive heard the same thing about Mo Alie Cox, but I guess Hewitt didn't want him or whatever the issue was.

There have been various other close calls recruiting wise over the years too. I'm still convinced the 2011-2012 team with Shane Larkin and Luke Hancock will be the greatest team we'll never see hit the floor. Supposedly Georges Niang was close to committing too.

Yup, if Corey Edwards didn't commit, I'm pretty sure Shane would have. Although Shane would have de-committed and gone to Miami.

masonjoe

Starter
Yup, if Corey Edwards didn't commit, I'm pretty sure Shane would have.

I'm not sure why this false assumption keeps being rehashed. The staff isn't stupid, and that's not how coaches recruit. No staff throws out offers and commits to first kid who says yes regardless of where they have him rated on their own board.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm not sure why this false assumption keeps being rehashed. The staff isn't stupid, and that's not how coaches recruit. No staff throws out offers and commits to first kid who says yes regardless of where they have him rated on their own board.

No one said anything about a "first come, first serve" recruiting strategy. All we implied was Shane almost was a Patriot. He tweeting something along the lines of "A PG just committed to Mason so I'm out." Corey and Shane were the top 2 choices for PG. Shane wasn't ready to commit in October. I guess the staff felt that they would rather take one than lose both.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ecome-hit-miami-hurricanes-college-basketball

"The kid had options, and had four other visits set up to big-name schools. Larranaga knew this and put the pressure on Shane to commit to George Mason during Midnight Madness. He told Shane on his visit that they were interested in two point guards -- Shane and Corey Edwards from New York -- and they would take whoever committed first."

Last edited:

JBiggs

Starter
I remember that tweet from Shane. I think we were pretty damn close to getting him, but also think he would have left as soon as Coach L did. It's amazing how close the program came to really vaulting into the national stage, and how low it fell immediately after that.

JBiggs

Starter
On this subject, I wonder how close we were to landing Victor Oladipo. I feel like we were one of his finalists, but I don't know how accurate my memory is.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

we weren't top 5 for Niang so idk how close that makes us on him committing considering he was a 4 star from Massachusetts and wanted to go to Providence and UMASS in his list before us..

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
we weren't top 5 for Niang so idk how close that makes us on him committing considering he was a 4 star from Massachusetts and wanted to go to Providence and UMASS in his list before us..

I just remember reading about it on the boards.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So my brother works at Capital One in Richmond. He sent me over this pic today of their new basketball court they have on the Capital One Campus. Check out the picture in the background. The entire wall is of Lamar during the UConn game.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    958.5 KB · Views: 391
Last edited: