Where Are They Now?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No, thank you. Completely fresh start is preferred by me.
Yup like Simpkins as a man but they need to wipe slate completely clean. Retire the 90 year old secretary and her curmudgeon husband as well, the training staff can’t be that great since we seem to have more injuries than the rest of the planet so say goodbye to them too.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The fact that he hasn’t won enough yet doesn’t mean he can’t or won’t. But yes ultimately that’s all that matters.
You’re not a dumb man Jim so please follow along when our KenPom is 250 and we are 12-2 and I tell you to “wait on it” you call me a “hater that should go root for another team” and then we get massacred against A10 teams again. You’re not an idiot like p8triotdN4life, swimom and most of the geriatrics who don’t even bring their glasses to see at games.[/QUOTE]

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
You’re not a dumb man Jim so please follow along when our KenPom is 250 and we are 12-2 and I tell you to “wait on it” you call me a “hater that should go root for another team” and then we get massacred against A10 teams again. You’re not an idiot like p8triotdN4life, swimom and most of the geriatrics who don’t even bring their glasses to see at games.

That’s the mother of all backhanded compliments LOL

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yup like Simpkins as a man but they need to wipe slate completely clean. Retire the 90 year old secretary and her curmudgeon husband as well, the training staff can’t be that great since we seem to have more injuries than the rest of the planet so say goodbye to them too.
Woahhh.. Carolyn stays as long as Carolyn wants. You know Swim Mom would literally kill for that job.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Woahhh.. Carolyn stays as long as Carolyn wants. You know Swim Mom would literally kill for that job.

Don’t give her any ideas.

Swim mom drinks the blood of walk on freshman to stay young. Then we watch their highlight tapes and ponder if they can develop into all A10.

JPgmuswim

Starter
Im willing to bet that starting next year the 1 time transfer rule will be official, we will see the transfer numbers go up even higher because kids won’t have to sit a year. This will also have a major effect on when schools get a new coach.

A lot of times the upperclassmen stick around because what’s the point of sitting a full year to play a year? With the new rule not having to sit I’d imagine we could see full rosters flip. Unless the team is full of players that previously transferred, something DP doesn’t do.

Last edited:

FreeGunston12

All-American
Couple of thoughts on this:

1. No way Paulsens contract has any stipulations on no games not counting towards his contract. The way these contracts are written are just like any other employment contract, he’s employed at Mason athletics through 1 April of his contract year. That’s it. Like sleeper said, it’s not like he’s not getting paid right now. He didn’t give money back after the A10 tourney got canceled.

2. For everyone talking finances, have we thought that it doesn’t necessarily have to cost us more money to move on? Paulsen’s base is 400 per year, his buyout is 200. If he gets that as a lump sum then someone needs to give me his agents number because he’s a wizard. Most of this money gets spread over 5-10 years, ala Hewitt getting paid by GT after we fired him. I’m telling you, Tony Skinn (or someone in his mood, young assistant) doesn’t cost what Paulsen costs. Paulsens total compensation before performance incentives is 750k. Skinn (or a young high major assistant) isn’t commanding 750k for his first job. I see a lot of scenarios where we break even on the money side spreading the payout and bringing in a cheaper HC.

3. Does anyone have an example of a lame duck coach working out for the program? We’ve seen it happen multiple times where it blows up in the programs face, I can’t think of a single example of it working out long term. This absolutely can not be an option for a program playing in the A10. That’s some Southland conference BS.
To point #3 - it is a pretty impossible thing to research.

"Working out for the long term" could just mean not extending the wrong coach. So does that mean you'd have to just look for coaches that finished out their final year of a contract with a bad record? I'm sure you'd argue that the coach should've just been fired the season before in that case. But thats the point, the school didn't feel like they could fire or extend that coach earlier (whether due to finances, mediocrity, or whatever). Does that mean you'd have to find an example where the next coach did better? At what point is that a failure of the next hire that isn't attributed to lame ducking the previous coach?

Western Michigan just did it to Steve Hawkins. Was it the right call? I have no idea. But it didn't hurt them that bad in recruiting - they got Josiah Freeman over us.

Georgia Southern did it to Mark Byington (now at JMU, I'm sure they wanted to extend so this is not exactly a Paulsen situation). GS still got Cam Bryant though, once linked to Mason (never offered though as far as I know).

FSU did it to Leonard Hamilton. Not apples to apples here, for sure. They won the ACC, and FSU would love to have him locked up long term as well. Point is, lame duck seasons can happen without destroying recruiting.

Still, all of that is totally irrelevant in these unprecedented times. The only reason I'm predicting a lame duck year is because I am assuming there won't be a season. Or if there is a season, it will be significantly affected by the pandemic and will not be useful in changing the evaluation on Paulsen.

Again, if there is a normal season and Paulsen does his average (16-16, 8-10) then move on.

Last edited:
OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
2. For everyone talking finances, have we thought that it doesn’t necessarily have to cost us more money to move on? Paulsen’s base is 400 per year, his buyout is 200. If he gets that as a lump sum then someone needs to give me his agents number because he’s a wizard. Most of this money gets spread over 5-10 years, ala Hewitt getting paid by GT after we fired him.

Normally, severance pay is paid out incrementally throughout the duration of the contract as if the coach is still employed. Oftentimes, there is an offset provision in the contract so if the terminated coach gets a similar job during this period, the severance pay is reduced accordingly.

In Hewitt's case at GT, he had a 6-year automatic "rollover" provision in his contract. This is why GT paid out his severance pay over so many years.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php/rothstein-files/sec-preseason-preview/:

SEC Preseason Power Rankings

1. Tennessee

2. Kentucky

3. LSU

4. Florida

5. South Carolina

6. Arkansas

7. Alabama

8. Auburn

9. Missouri

10. Ole Miss

11. Texas A&M

12. Mississippi State

13. Georgia

14. Vanderbilt

10 Under-The-Radar Transfers

*In no particular order

*This does include transfers who have filed for waivers with the NCAA

Tyree Appleby, Florida (Cleveland State)

Anthony Duruji, Florida (Louisiana Tech)

JD Notae, Arkansas (Jacksonville)

Jaylon Tate, Arkansas (Northern Kentucky)

Dimencio Vaughn, Ole Miss (Rider)

Tolu Smith, Mississippi State (Western Kentucky)

Justin Kier, Georgia (George Mason)

Andrew Garcia, Georgia (Stony Brook)

PJ Horne, Georgia (Virginia Tech)

Isaac McBride, Vanderbilt (Kansas)

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Rick Barnes rising to the top. Atleast one former coach of ours is doing something.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://gomason.com/news/2020/10/9/...ins-fifth-professional-season-in-germany.aspx:

"FAIRFAX, Va. – Former George Mason University All-A-10 center Shevon Thompson begins his fifth season of professional basketball in Germany this fall.

Thompson will suit up for Alba Berlin this October, which captured the German Bundesliga title in 2019-20. His team includes former college standouts Peyton Siva (Louisville), Ben Lammers (Georgia Tech) and Niles Giffey (Connecticut).

Thompson most recently competed for Filou Oostende in the Belgium Euromillions League, where he averaged 12.1 points and 7.6 rebounds in 2019-20. He was named the All-Belgian League Center of the Year and earned a spot in the league's All-Star Game. In 13 Basketball Champions League games, Thompson averaged 13.5 points and 10.1 rebounds per contest.

During his successful professional career, Thompson also has suited up in the NBA G League for the Erie Bayhawks, Raptors 905, College Park Skyhawks and Wisconsin Herd."