What I will miss about Hewitt's teams

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The new coach needs to reach out to old players immediately and let them know they always have a home here and we welcome their presence.

It makes me sick to my stomach to hear Hewitt treated our old players like dirt and that he didn't even care about them. I heard this directly from a 2006 Final Four member a couple months ago and I was shocked and appalled. According to this player...Hewitt hardly ever reached out to that team, or old players, to invite them out to practice, games, or other functions. I asked the old player if he was going to Homecoming and if he had been to any games this season since I saw some of his old teammates there....this player said he didn't feel welcomed anymore and that he may attend Homecoming.

Unreal. Get this piece o crap out the door ASAP.

Last edited:

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
The new coach needs to reach out to old players immediately and let them know they always have a home here and we welcome their presence.

It makes me sick to my stomach to hear Hewitt treated our old players like dirt and that he didn't even care about them. I heard this directly from a 2006 Final Four member a couple months ago and I was shocked and appalled. According to this player...Hewitt never reached out to that team or old players to invite them out to practice, games, or other functions. The old player said he didn't feel welcomed anymore.

That is inexcusable. Period.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Ill miss having no expectations and not caring about wins and losses.

Ill miss having no juice for games against vcu etc, because at this point were so far from being a threat to them like we used to that were almost the poor little brother and they don't even hate us anymore.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ill miss having no expectations and not caring about wins and losses.

Ill miss having no juice for games against vcu etc, because at this point were so far from being a threat to them like we used to that were almost the poor little brother and they don't even hate us anymore.

It is nice just being able to shrug it off after another vcu loss. I used to really hate losing to them.

gmu05

Starter

It makes me sick to my stomach to hear Hewitt treated our old players like dirt and that he didn't even care about them. I heard this directly from a 2006 Final Four member a couple months ago and I was shocked and appalled. According to this player...Hewitt hardly ever reached out to that team, or old players, to invite them out to practice, games, or other functions. I asked the old player if he was going to Homecoming and if he had been to any games this season since I saw some of his old teammates there....this player said he didn't feel welcomed anymore and that he may attend Homecoming.

Just because the guy you failed Stat 250 with said that doesn't mean everyone got that treatment. I've heard different and Cam Long, Isaiah Tate, Folarin Campbell, Will Thomas, Lamar Butler and John Vaughn would all disagree with you.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I never thought about the good side of having Hewitt as our coach. I was not bothered by any loss this year.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I will say it was nice to just sit at home and not give a crap during a snowstorm rather than risk life and limb to go support my basketball team. Given the choice, though, I'd choose the latter every time if my team were worth the drive.

Dawgs99

Starter
Just because the guy you failed Stat 250 with said that doesn't mean everyone got that treatment. I've heard different and Cam Long, Isaiah Tate, Folarin Campbell, Will Thomas, Lamar Butler and John Vaughn would all disagree with you.

Yea I'm calling bullshit on this....everyone raves about Hewitt the man, have a hard time seeing him treating any former player like "dirt". Maybe said player wanted to be sucked off a little too much and Hewitt wasn't down. Lamar seems to really like Hewitt the man. Whats is he supposed to do...call all the old players and beg them to come to practice? It seems only natural that with the old coach gone some players wouldn't feel the same level of connection to the program, but saying Hewitt treated them poorly seems way off base and out of bounds.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Sorry bud, never failed a college course in my life.

This certain player was one of many I had heard this from throughout the 4 years Hewitt was here, never really cared to think anything of it until this year. This year at the Insiders Dinner..... this was the first time ever there were no old players there. At this event....I also heard Hewitt needed to work on relations with alumni players as communications were at an all-time low.

I'm not saying he never reached out to ALL players. Many players blow it off and don't care and will attend games. More importantly they sit in the VIP seats next to the big donors to have their ego strokes.

I see Holdan and older era teammates out and about around my neighborhood, they have had no contact from Hewitt or his coaches while Hewitt has been there. Fact

Those players you mentioned are supporting the program and often go to see friends and people who supported them while they were players. Seriously doubt those players show up because Hewitt personally reached out to them. They go because they love the game and will support the program.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I will miss the ability of watching a Hewitt coach team curing any and all forms of constipation. After sitting through a frustrating set of 40 minutes I would always have the urge to release a loose stream of but coffee while screaming "release the kraken!!!!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawgs99

Starter
Everyone wants to be "around" when things are going well, no surprise alumni interest has dropped over the Hewitt years.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

JV and Lamar were part of Mason Madness and Will and Folarin were playing/scrimmaging during preseason.

It's one thing to be unhappy with our record the last 2 years and call for his firing, but some posters seem to view him as the Devil Incarnate. Comes across as piling on, at least to me.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
JV and Lamar were part of Mason Madness and Will and Folarin were playing/scrimmaging during preseason.

Folarin and Thomas were getting some court time in while on break from their respective teams and leagues. I doubt they were there to say hello to Hewitt.

Not pouring on anything, just making it known that his past player alumni relations were pretty bad. You all can take it for what its worth.

I hope the next coach realizes we have had some special players and teams here.