What are you watching now that sports are canceled?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
AJ's defense on Daly was damn good. Miller also looked really good in that game, even though he missed some FTs late.

If AJ plays like that AND Miller plays like that every game, thats a really good thing. I loved seeing them impose their will on St Joes the other day. Playing like that is in my opinion makes us "look like an a10 team"

Also in terms of watching, my wife and I have been rewatching Family Matters on Hulu, for anyone who grew up in the 90s I highly recommend going back and watching it.

Last edited:

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
First of all, great thread. Also me and Tom must have almost the exact same tastes

In no particular order:

Breaking Bad - Series - Even if you've seen it, watch it again. Never gets old
Better Call Saul - Series - Nothing can be as great as BB but this one is as close as it gets. Guy who play Gus and guy who plays Mike just give incredible performances.
El Camino - Movie - Continuation of the BB but is just a movie, not a series. Tells the story of Jesse Pinkman after BB
Chernobyl - Mini Series - I was ready to be disapointed but probably one of the best mini series (only 5 episodes) I've ever seen. It's interesting that I know eveything that happened at Chernoybyl but I was still on the edge of my seat.
Dolemite - Movie - I was very surprised with this one. Eddie Murphy is timeless
Mine - Movie - Very orginal storyline and great acting. In the African desert an American soldier steps on a Landmine with one foot and is stuck. If he moves his foot, he'll get blown up. He has to sleep an entire night with one foot still on the mine waiting for his team. Has to fight off hyenas at night time with his M-16. Has a great surprise ending!
Mandalorian - Series - Not a big Star Wars guy but this series great. Almost like a old school cowboy movie but in intergalactic terms. And who doesn't love a baby Yoda.
Contact - Movie - Jodie Foster has an amazing performance and one of the smartest, most realistic sci fi movies of all time. Over 30 SETI scientists were involved in writing this script.
Heat - Movie - The shortest 3 hour movie you will ever see. Amazing from begining to end. And the coffee shop scene between Deniro and Pacino is probably one of the best singular scenes in Hollywood history acting wise.
The Punisher - Series - Not even sure why I gave this series a chance as the super hero genre is not my thing. But WOW, glad I did! Jon Bernthal just gives and incredible performance.
Predator (All of them!) - I don't need to explain this one.

Last edited:

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Heat - Movie - The shortest 3 hour movie you will ever see. Amazing from begining to end. And the coffee shop scene between Deniro and Pacino is probably oneof the best singular scenes in Hollywood history acting wise.
Bill Simmon's has two different podcast episodes on Heat (maybe more). The first is from a few years ago and then they did another look-back more recently. Great entertainment

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Haunting of Hill House, Ken Burns Vietnam documentary, Carnival Row, Marvel's Daredevil and Punisher.

OP
By George.

By George.

Starter
1917 is probably the best non GWOT war movie since saving private Ryan, great story and very well shot.

Assume you’ve seen Dunkirk? Haven't seen 1917 yet but that will probably be part of my quarantine content.

I just finished the Outsiders and can’t say I liked it which leads to another question...what have you quit? WESTWORLD is coming back soon, and I quit half way through season 2. Not sure anyone could convince me to go back.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If you have kids, mine are really into Mune and Gauko
Assume you’ve seen Dunkirk? Haven't seen 1917 yet but that will probably be part of my quarantine content.

I just finished the Outsiders and can’t say I liked it which leads to another question...what have you quit? WESTWORLD is coming back soon, and I quit half way through season 2. Not sure anyone could convince me to go back.

It's funny, we actually have a real-life Westworld in Scottsdale (it is actually called Westworld http://www.westworldaz.com/). It is supposed to be trash, but every time I drive up that way I think of the original movie and this TV show and marauding AI robots gunning down tourists.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
1917 is probably the best non GWOT war movie since saving private Ryan, great story and very well shot.

Couldn't agree more. I would recommend to everybody who watches this amazing movie to check out video below on how it was made. The sets and filming were all done on location, and much of it was shot at ground level in long, continuous shots. Right when I walked out of the theater I knew there was no doubt it would win the Academy Award for Best Cinematography (which it did). This really is filmmaking at its best.

Last edited:

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I got 30 minutes in and turned it off.

Stuff I've watched recently:

Netflix's Messiah had was decent; thought it could've been better

Amazon's Man in the High Castle final season was ok. The first season was a bit slow and then picked up speed.

A+ on the Mandalorian

Mrs Maisel on Amazon is good. Its the one thing my wife and I can watch together.

Hulu's Handmaid's Tale is a bit disturbing but entertaining

2nd season of Jack Ryan on Amazon was better than the first season, IMO.

I really like Mindhunter on Netflix, but was meh on The Family
Re: Jack Ryan, you really thought Season 2 was better? I thought the ending scenario was just way too far-fetched even for that type of show. Also, gave up on The Man in the High Castle after it got way too Sci-Fi.

If you haven't watched Peaky Blinders, you're doing yourself a disservice. Also, Bodyguard on Netflix is very good for anyone who likes the Homeland, Jack Ryan, etc. genre.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Re: Jack Ryan, you really thought Season 2 was better? I thought the ending scenario was just way too far-fetched even for that type of show. Also, gave up on The Man in the High Castle after it got way too Sci-Fi.

If you haven't watched Peaky Blinders, you're doing yourself a disservice. Also, Bodyguard on Netflix is very good for anyone who likes the Homeland, Jack Ryan, etc. genre.
I thought the pacing of Jack Ryan 2 was better as was Jim Halpert's acting. I think I've lowered the bar so far on endings that I'm willing to give everything a passing grade except the Sopranos and GOT. But thats because previous seasons for them were so good that their endings should be held to a higher standard.

Yes on Bodyguard.