Well, we're officially an above average A-10 program

Herndon

All-Conference
Took a while, but we're there.

In the next 2 years, I'd like to solidify that, to clarify that its not just the result of a senior class that has logged heavy minutes/starts since they were freshmen. I don't need to contend for A-10 titles just yet, just consolidate gains.

If we can remain in the upper half of the A-10 next year, it seems like our team is set up for long term success.

All indications are that our freshmen class is looking good, and our sophomore class appears at least decent.

Our recruiting has been considered lackluster by many, but I'm sort of in the "results speak louder than stars" camp, and Paulsen has (for me) earned the benefit of the doubt for a little while.

What are you guys looking for in the near-ish future from the program?

GMUSig03

All-Conference

In the next 2 years, I'd like to solidify that, to clarify that its not just the result of a senior class that has logged heavy minutes/starts since they were freshmen. I don't need to contend for A-10 titles just yet, just consolidate gains.

If we can remain in the upper half of the A-10 next year, it seems like our team is set up for long term success.

All indications are that our freshmen class is looking good, and our sophomore class appears at least decent.

Our recruiting has been considered lackluster by many, but I'm sort of in the "results speak louder than stars" camp, and Paulsen has (for me) earned the benefit of the doubt for a little while.

Next year I want to see us in the same position (top 4), but competing for an at large hopefully with everyone returning except Otis (and Grayer). The league should be signficantly improved next year - Dayton, vcu, Davidson, Duquesne and us should all be stronger, and I assume some others as well.

If the league is improved overall as expected, then we should return to a multi bid league and staying around the top 4 should give us a shot at at large contention.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

The next step for me is beating enough quality OOC opponents to put ourselves in position for an at-large bid.

The A-10 is getting older and better as programs stabilize following coaching changes, so there should be quality wins to be had within the league next season and beyond.

We’re not in a 1-bid league anymore and I don’t think we should have to rely on winning the A-10 tournament to dance.

Bricker

Starter
Greene could be our star player next year.
Miller might make a big sophomore leap.
Harwell is quick and smart.

Our young guys all look promising.

I don't want to write a novel on it, but I think part of the problem this year is that our team is "outgrowing" Otis. He's been great and I don't want to take away anything he's done over the past four years, but we might be much improved next year after he graduates.

OP
Herndon

Herndon

All-Conference
Greene could be our star player next year.
Miller might make a big sophomore leap.
Harwell is quick and smart.

Our young guys all look promising.

I don't want to write a novel on it, but I think part of the problem this year is that our team is "outgrowing" Otis. He's been great and I don't want to take away anything he's done over the past four years, but we might be much improved next year after he graduates.
That's an interesting take. Wanna write that novel? I'd read it.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think we should get rid of Paulsen

Oh wait wrong thread

So essentially now, the foundation is down, the facilities are improved, the culture is built. The recruiting is getting better, and the development is there.

This year has been somewhat disappointing with the slow start and extra practices. That said, many guys come back so I suspect they will only get better.

As the league improves I expect Mason to be improving as well, and be in the conversation for an at large. 2-3 bid league next year once again, and I’m hopeful Mason can take a spot

Bricker

Starter
That's an interesting take. Wanna write that novel? I'd read it.

Pass.

e9f.jpg

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I will reserve judgment to see how the rest of this year goes. I will say, my outlook might be sunnier had we won 2-3 more games out of conference. I think the conference season has been very good with the exception of the Duquense loss. You win that game and then the loss to Richmond is just written off as the random road loss that every team will have each year.

I think the key next year is, like Jim pointed out, is to get more wins in the non-conference. Hartwell's recent play has been the most positive sign for me. If you start off next knowing who will run the offense then you can build from there.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think we should get rid of Paulsen

Oh wait wrong thread

So essentially now, the foundation is down, the facilities are improved, the culture is built. The recruiting is getting better, and the development is there.

This year has been somewhat disappointing with the slow start and extra practices. That said, many guys come back so I suspect they will only get better.

As the league improves I expect Mason to be improving as well, and be in the conversation for an at large. 2-3 bid league next year once again, and I’m hopeful Mason can take a spot
The culture is set?!?!? less apathy for the program than the Hewitt days but damn we have absolutely 0 culture/fandom....

recruiting getting better?!? recruiting against the bottom half of Ivy League for dudes we sign...

We have such a battered (redacted) syndrome in this program that being 5th or 6th with 0 postseason chances makes the majority of the fandom happy. very very embarrassing. I hate to say we should be more like vcu or Dayton but we should be more like vcu or Dayton

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The culture is set?!?!? less apathy for the program than the Hewitt days but damn we have absolutely 0 culture/fandom....

recruiting getting better?!? recruiting against the bottom half of Ivy League for dudes we sign...

We have such a battered (redacted) syndrome in this program that being 5th or 6th with 0 postseason chances makes the majority of the fandom happy. very very embarrassing. I hate to say we should be more like vcu or Dayton but we should be more like vcu or Dayton

The team culture not the fans.

I’m not going to debate recruiting with you but Miller, Hartwell and JDS look like a really nice class and have been contributing nicely. They look better than other classes, so that’s an improvement to me. The contribution on the court looks good.

Nobody is satisfied with being 5th or 6th. I’m not. But the progression to this point has me content as I eagerly await the potential for the program to take the next step towards the ncaas.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I’m fine getting under recruited kids if they produce. Hartwell was an under recruited 3 star. Miller was an under recruited first team All Met.

We made the final four with a collection of under recruited kids from Maryland who all had a chip on their shoulders.

I wouldn’t worry so much about being Dayton or vcu (they both exist in cities without two major basketball programs and a cadre of professional teams). We just have to become better versions of ourselves.

One thing I will say is we need to win more recruiting battles in the A10 for local kids. No more pipeline for URI or Bona or St. Joes.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I started a business about 4 years ago and had great success in the first 18 months. However the next 14 months we stagnated and regressed.

Then I got some advice from my former business partner that I'll never forget:

"What got you to where you are is not necessarily what will get you to the next step. Be prepared to change your approach/tactics if you want to grow to the next level."

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I started a business about 4 years ago and had great success in the first 18 months. However the next 14 months we stagnated and regressed.

Then I got some advice from my former business partner that I'll never forget:

"What got you to where you are is not necessarily what will get you to the next step. Be prepared to change your approach/tactics if you want to grow to the next level."

You have mentioned this before. Congrats! What type business?

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You have mentioned this before. Congrats! What type business?
LOL! My bad. It's just that its such an important factor in my life.

I have a consulting business regarding compliance, staffing and business development mostly for Federal contractors but lately increasingly more private companies outside of the federal contracting world.

I also sell chalupas near consruction sites ;)

OP
Herndon

Herndon

All-Conference

As long as the program is improving, the fanbase SHOULD be happy. Rome isn't built in a day, but if the team is getting better and better, then obviously what is happening is working.

And as far as recruiting, what do you believe the purpose of recruiting is?

Is it to sign guys with a lot of stars, or is it to win basketball games? If you believe that the purpose of recruiting is to win basketball games, then it is pretty hard to argue that recruiting is not improving.

Recruiting is a means, not an end, and recruiting rankings are a non-expert evaluation of a means to an end.

Recruiting rankings are like asking people from Alabama about Trump.