Welcome Woody Newton

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I like his shooting percentages. He shoul be an asset at his size.

I have one gripe, however, and this is not leveled at Newton at all, but just in press releases for sports in general...including high school. How come everybody was/is a "standout?" All you have to do is look at stats and see that some of these standouts clearly weren't.
Got that off my chest.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I like his shooting percentages. He shoul be an asset at his size.

I have one gripe, however, and this is not leveled at Newton at all, but just in press releases for sports in general...including high school. How come everybody was/is a "standout?" All you have to do is look at stats and see that some of these standouts clearly weren't.
Got that off my chest.
I've never heard a new player on any team in any sport being introduced as a scrub who is unworthy of a place on the roster. "Introducing ????, you should expect him to suck and ride the pine all year. We'll be lucky to even get any help from him in practice". LOL. Truth be told, any D1 player should have been a dominant high school player.

I do have faith in TS and the other coaches knowing what they are doing. It will be interesting to see who rises to the top and who our leaders are next year. Competition should be fierce for minutes which will benefit everyone.

If you take the 22-23 stats for guys on our current roster, including returning and new players, we average 57.4 points per game, 31.3 rebounds, and 9.7 assists. Take those numbers with a grain of salt as minutes were severely limited in some cases. In the process of compiling fg, ft, and 3 points cumulative percentages.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think the position with the least uncertainty is point guard (Polite, unless he royally regresses, will most likely start there), the position most wide open is the 5 (could go to any of the three bigs we have on the roster).

I could see any combination of Billups, Maddox, Newton, and Hall at the 2-4. Really depends on how they fit into the system and how they play together.

And who knows maybe Ball works his way into starter minutes at some point in the season.

Of course, the roster isn’t completely set yet and all of this could change.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think the position with the least uncertainty is point guard (Polite, unless he royally regresses, will most likely start there), the position most wide open is the 5 (could go to any of the three bigs we have on the roster).

I could see any combination of Billups, Maddox, Newton, and Hall at the 2-4. Really depends on how they fit into the system and how they play together.

And who knows maybe Ball works his way into starter minutes at some point in the season.

Of course, the roster isn’t completely set yet and all of this could change.
Really glad Tony was able to keep Ball committed, love his upside, but if he is playing starter minutes at any point as a freshman, the season will have truly gone sideways.

We have a roster full of mostly grown men at this point. He’ll be better for it in the long run but Ball is gonna spend this summer and next season getting his a** absolutely kicked every day in practice.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Some major Wood chopping going on.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Thank you NCAA for being incompetent and unpredictable. This is great news!

Re: A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Unread post by Jersey77 » 1 week ago
"Like I said, I do understand his reasoning and disappointment.
But still, 4 schools in 4 years and he did receive a waiver because of mental issues last season.
Take this season off and spend more time with his ill father.
He would still have 2 seasons of eligibility left starting in 24-25 (additional Covid year 20-21)

Others awaiting news:
Woody Newton (GM) may have a shot at a waiver because of the death of his father and moving back home.
Jalen Haynes(GM), probably would be one of the most impactful players, Mason fans think his chances are slim.
Brad Ezewiro (SLU) a coaching change may not cut it for him, without him their frontcourt would be thin.
David Green (URI) who knows, haven't heard anything."

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Great news for Woody.

Now if we can only get Buzz...

I'll see myself out.

Buzz is all about himself, slink dog is much more team oriented and would be a better fit
"Buzz"?

"Slink Dog"?

Please help the nickname-challenged understand what you're posting about.

The only "Buzz" I'm familiar with is Williams at VPI. Perhaps some context would be beneficial.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I’ve always been partial to Mr. Potato Head myself, but Woody’s waiver raises the ceiling of this roster even assuming Haynes will have to sit.

6-9 guys who can handle, shoot the 3 and hold their own on the glass do not grow on trees in the A-10.

Plus, Newton and Hall have the versatility to slide between the 3 and 4 when needed. Gives Tony lots of options for playing big or small without a production dropoff. Should be interesting to see how the playing time shakes out.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Looking into it further, assuming Haynes has to sit and either Kelly or Henry, Maddox and Polite are locked in as starters, that means one of Newton, Hall or Billups will be our sixth man.

After losing four starters, including a two-time first-team all-A10 player, in the offseason, it really is quite amazing how well Tony and the staff rebuilt this roster.

Believe pretty strongly that the 2023-24 Mason squad would walk the dog on the 22-23 team. If Haynes somehow gets a waiver, it’s even more lopsided.

Looking into it further, assuming Haynes has to sit and either Kelly or Henry, Maddox and Polite are locked in as starters, that means one of Newton, Hall or Billups will be our sixth man.

After losing four starters, including a two-time first-team all-A10 player, in the offseason, it really is quite amazing how well Tony and the staff rebuilt this roster.

Believe pretty strongly that the 2023-24 Mason squad would walk the dog on the 22-23 team. If Haynes somehow gets a waiver, it’s even more lopsided.
I'd consider Billups locked in at the 2, Maddox locked in at the 3. Only ? spots are 4 and 5 and we know who will be the 5 we just dont know which of them it'll be yet.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'd consider Billups locked in at the 2, Maddox locked in at the 3. Only ? spots are 4 and 5 and we know who will be the 5 we just dont know which of them it'll be yet.
I also think Billups’ defense and rebounding will make it tough to keep him off the floor, but it’s at least conceivable that Tony decides to start Newton at the 4, Hall at the 3 and Maddox at the 2.

Truly a good “problem” to have lol.