Welcome New AD Marvin Lewis

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
And other places for those of us who don't do facebook.
I don't think it requires an account so you don't need to worry about logging in. Its just a stream that's publicly accessible.

There will be a "day review video" not a live stream.

Last edited:

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
will put this here
didnt want to start a new thread
and ultimately the budget head will be the AD

Fx8d5CIagAA8vuY

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
will put this here
didnt want to start a new thread
and ultimately the budget head will be the AD

Fx8d5CIagAA8vuY
Really interesting.
From an ROI perspective, is Maryland, Xavier or Indiana getting what they paid for? I could go further down the list asking the same about other schools.

On the conference side, I think its a bit misleading that the Big East spends the most on average. The P5 doesn't need to spend as much on basketball specifically because football drives the bus. I know many P5 football schools tie their football season tickets with a requirement that comes with buying tickets to other sports.
Focus group of 1- I sat next to a really nice couple at Auburn who told me they were on the basketball waiting list as a way to get bumped up on the football waiting list.

I thought the American would be much higher than the A10. I realize its an average, but still.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Something isn't right on that graph. UNC nowhere to be found, among others.
The football team finished with $56,631,600 in total operating revenue and a surplus of $22,180,109, while the men’s basketball team added $32,234,012 in total operating revenue and a surplus of $19,778,643.

this suggests the graph is correct
UNC around $12.5M
probably in the 21 to 30 range
and right at the ACC average

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The football team finished with $56,631,600 in total operating revenue and a surplus of $22,180,109, while the men’s basketball team added $32,234,012 in total operating revenue and a surplus of $19,778,643.

this suggests the graph is correct
UNC around $12.5M
probably in the 21 to 30 range
and right at the ACC average

Interesting. Thanks for doing the research.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
UNC's facilities aren't that great. NC State plays in a much nicer arena -- granted it's off campus.
Could be. I've only been to Reynolds Coliseum back in '82. But I've been to the Dean Dome several times. Being a Carolina fan, I have to say I'm partial to it.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Could be. I've only been to Reynolds Coliseum back in '82. But I've been to the Dean Dome several times. Being a Carolina fan, I have to say I'm partial to it.

Hey don't get me wrong: When the tickets are offered, I go. I was just surprised the first time at how underwhelming the Dean Dome was. Just a big old building sitting on campus. Keenan Memorial is no different.

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hey don't get me wrong: When the tickets are offered, I go. I was just surprised the first time at how underwhelming the Dean Dome was. Just a big old building sitting on campus. Keenan Memorial is no different.
I get you. Keenan isn't spectacular either, but I tell you, sitting there with the Carolina Pines towering above the top of the stadium under a cloudless Carolina Blue sky is pretty awesome. Sort of like an outdoor dome.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Video of the introduction of the new Athletic Director:

And The George article:

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Video of the introduction of the new Athletic Director:

And The George article:
Was at the event/reception yesterday, good event and turnout across the board. Turnout was more than expected as they ran out of chairs.

From Bball - we saw Malik, Ronnie, Dinkins, the walk-on kid, and couple other transfer guys that I could not recognize yet. Ronnie was standing in back next to Lamar Butler and Tony.... seems like he is going to be their guy and main captain this year as they looked very close already. All the assistant coaches were there.

Lewis - He seems like a very likeable guy and down to earth and easy to talk to. From the DMV so he knows the area and hopefully what he can accomplish with this talent rich area in so many facets. Majority of the speech seemed like a canned/recycled AD speech that each AD uses at a new place. He did express he needs to learn our history, he did lay out 3 areas he wants to focus on. The 3rd resonated well with "telling our story to the community" AKA The Mason Story. Hopefully he will see how awful our marketing and loyalty is and put money towards this area....create new partnerships and ramp up marketing to market us better across the DMV and the east coast in general.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Latest from Marvin in case you haven't seen it. Offseason sucks.

Hello Mason Nation:

I hope you are having a fantastic summer and enjoying time with family and friends prior to the start of the academic year.

First, thank you for the warm welcome Mason Nation has provided my family and me. I am humbled and honored to lead this intercollegiate athletics department and committed to serving our student-athletes, coaches, staff, and all of Mason Nation. I am also proud to be a member of this diverse, inclusive, and dynamic university community.

My first day in the office was officially Monday, July 3rd and I immediately initiated a comprehensive “listening and learning” tour to understand our overall operation, develop relationships with various stakeholders, align expectations, and quickly adapt to Mason’s culture. In addition, I conducted a climate survey which received responses from over 90% of the department’s coaches and staff. I have and will continue to meet with key stakeholders - head coaches, administrative staff, student-athletes, donors, alumni, university partners, and local community members to get up to speed. I am excited to identify what makes our university, athletics department, and student-athletes special while building upon the momentum created during our successful spring competition and academic season.

As we look ahead, Mason Athletics is poised to host nearly 200 events and competitions on our Fairfax campus this academic year. Our fall sports programs will get the year started by hosting home openers over the next two (2) months and we look forward to seeing Mason Nation in attendance.

· WSOC vs Old Dominion University, Thursday, August 17, 6:00 pm at George Mason Stadium
· MSOC vs UMBC, Thursday, August 24, 7:00 pm at George Mason Stadium
· WVB vs American, Saturday, August 26, 2:00 pm at the Recreation Athletic Complex (RAC)
· WVB vs Georgetown, Saturday, August 26, 7:00 pm at the Recreation Athletic Complex (RAC)
· M/W Cross Country, Saturday, September 2, 9:00 am – hosted by Richmond at Pole Green Park in Mechanicsville, Va.

In addition, the fall semester officially begins on Monday, August 21st and Mason Athletics will host our annual Welcome Back Barbeque for our student-athletes, coaches, and staff. I can’t wait to spend time with our returners and officially welcome the new student-athletes calling Mason home for the first time.

As the summer winds down, please be sure to rest up, unwind, and recharge as we will need Mason Nation’s championship level energy to support our student-athletes and teams this year!

Also, be on the lookout for future “Inside Mason Nation” communications throughout the year. Our goal is to keep members of our community informed and updated on happenings across the department. You can also stay connected by subscribing to our weekly Patriot Brew newsletter which is distributed Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of each week.

Thanks again for everyone’s warm welcome and all you do to support Mason athletics. We look forward to seeing you on campus soon. Go Patriots!

Marvin

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Do we want him to "adapt to Mason's culture" or break it to fix it?

I would not have any problems if he wants to bring an international flavor to fan support culture to Mason Athletics (this is assuming what you mean by adapting to Mason culture).