Welcome New AD Marvin Lewis

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Wow...This is a lot to throw at 6 people. Wonder what kind of staff's will be supporting these leaders as your success is dependent upon your "foot soldiers" doing the day to day activities. Structure is in place, which is great, now holding standards and these people accountable is what we need to see as Accountability is everything.

Working with numerous clients at universities and seeing how big staff's are over my career in technology it's interesting the new CFO (Everett) has so much on her plate to deal with. There is some overlap with duties listed, however, I would of broken up the revenue generation portion and have another person under this area which covers: Contracts, Marketing, Promotions/Sponsorships, NIL as these all are the lifeblood of collegiate sports. Bring in people who are experts and who can narrowly focus on 3-4 verticals rather than just throwing out 6-7 broad topics and expect them to be in charge. We can all agree Mason needs these areas to flourish and create funds from so many channels to help our teams win. Looking at the chart..... these are a lot of broad areas for just 6 people to oversee.

This is a good step, to have a plan of action and documented framework for success..... now just have to hold people accountable and know when to make adjustments/changes in the future and not be typical Mason and sit back and do nothing. Marvin needs to have a very short leash here and not be afraid to shake things up in the near future when/if needed.
Was thinking the same thing — the 2 women in senior staff are carrying large portfolios, as you noted in particular the CFO.

Hoping Lewis has either hired or is in the process of hiring some proven rainmakers because everything gets easier for the entire department when revenue grows.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Glad there's been some re-org/Marvin is putting his own stamp on the dept vs. status quo. Hopefully we see them push innovation and be aggressive in getting the support they need from the school.

I do want to note that Mason leverages Playfly Sports, a leading sports marketing & media agency, for their corporate sponsorship efforts...so there's some external help/resources being tapped into. I think there's a lot of room for growth in this area, particularly if we start to see investment in new/upgraded facilities (Basketball Facility, Soccer Stadium, Baseball Stadium, Sports Science/Health, etc...companies love slapping their logo on shiny things.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I have no idea if the reorg is good or not because I have no idea how it was structured before, but I do appreciate the openness with announcing this and putting out a graphic with peoples roles and responsibilities attached to it. Good first step towards transparency and accountability. Hope they apply the same logic to the status of the practice facility soon.

DRK331

Starter
I was walking around campus and I saw Marvin Lewis and I had a good 5 minute conversation with him.

He asked me what they can do to bring in more fans to the games

I also gave him some ideas for the future like having a podcast, posting more on social media, and I told him to look at what Duke does to keep fans engaged because Duke has the biggest fanbase in college basketball.

He seemed to really listen to me and seemed like he took my ideas to consideration

He was a cool guy, told me he went to Georgia Tech and how he played against Duke, then he had to go

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was walking around campus and I saw Marvin Lewis and I had a good 5 minute conversation with him.

I also gave him some ideas for the future like having a podcast, posting more on social media, and I told him to look at what Duke does to keep fans engaged because Duke has the biggest fanbase in college basketball.

He seemed to really listen to me and seemed like he took my ideas to consideration

He was a cool guy, told me he went to Georgia Tech and how he played against Duke, then he had to go
They need to start early on the students and get them involved. Once freshmen commit to going to Mason.... send them a Mason Bball t-shirt in the mail to get them involved right from the beginning and begin to generate that sense of pride and urgency in our campus and sports community.

Need to set a foundation in the beginning and drill in to students minds that we are a basketball school and need their support from the beginning - get the fan engagement started from ground zero.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Thanks for sharing what you spoke about and happy that he is collecting any and all information. Brings me hope that he actually wants to make this program something truly special.

DRK331

Starter
I also asked him when construction of the new basketball facility would start and he said around next summer.

Also: Someone should Tweet at him saying to have more T-Shirt giveaways for fans at Mason Basketball home games. That's one good way to get people to EBA. Have the T-Shirt giveaways before the game, during halftime, and after a win.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Love this! I hope to bump into him one day and say he should have homecoming on the first Saturday game of the season. Pay for some junk team to come into town and whoop their butt in front of a sell out crowd.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Hello Mason Nation:

I hope this message finds you doing well and enjoying the beginning of fall. I’m excited to connect as I round out my first 100 days here at George Mason University!

It’s a great time to be a Patriot. The University reached a significant milestone this fall by enrolling over 40,000 students, making us the largest university in Virginia. In addition, we are among America’s top 50 public universities and Virginia’s #1 public university for social mobility.
Mason Athletics is also on the move, building upon the momentum created during our successful spring. The 2022-23 highlights below reflect the passion, dedication, and commitment to supporting our student-athletes and each other, as well as the grit and tenacity of our student-athletes.

1. Earned three (3) A-10 Conference championships in Softball, Baseball, and Women’s Track;
2. Exceeded annual fundraising goals by over $200,000;
3. Balanced the operating budget for the first time in over five (5) years;
4. Had 20 athletic programs with GPAs greater than 3.0; and
5. Experienced over 60% growth in social media engagement.

I spent the last 100 days listening and learning from over 400 individual stakeholders including student-athletes, coaches, administrative staff, donors, alumni, and campus partners. The most common question I receive in each stakeholder meeting is – "What is your vision for Mason Athletics?" We will develop a shared vision, core values, and department “playbook” over the next year or so, but my immediate vision includes:

1. Creating transformational experiences;
2. Cultivating a championship culture; and
3. Telling our story and celebrating our distinct identity and value proposition.

In addition to listening and learning, I updated our strategic leadership team structure and implemented working groups or “teams” to improve our collaboration, communication, and operational efficiency across the department. The teams will focus on the following areas: university and student engagement, new business development, community engagement, and recruiting.

Lastly, as the fall sport programs position themselves for strong finishes to their competitive seasons, I attended my first Mason Madness last Friday! I am thrilled to launch the Tony Skinn era in our men’s basketball program and celebrate the 50-year anniversary of our women’s basketball program with Vanessa Blair-Lewis at the helm. We need all students, fans, and donors to bring the energy, #BelieveBIG, and apply the #PatriotPressure to opponents this season!

I continue to be energized by our student-athletes, proud of the coaches and staff, and inspired by the impact the University makes in the Northern Virginia community.

We look forward to seeing you at an upcoming game! Go Patriots!
Marvin

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I guess it goes with the job

View: https://twitter.com/MasonAD_MLewis/status/1715791715955523804

1697989707951.png

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Saw people talking about this reporting tool on X. Built by Syracuse's Comms School, it analyzes athletics expenses and revenues for a number of D1 schools (most recent being 2022 academic year). I believe this is publicly reported data so should be pretty accurate. I've included links and some high level notes on ones I found interesting.

George Mason Overall Report: https://knightnewhousedata.org/nfs/george-mason-university
- Revenues largely flat between 2017-2021, uptick in revenue from both student fees & donors in 2022
- Student fees make up majority of revenue bucket (the norm); over 60% in 2022
- School/Govt support hit a high of 29% of revenues in 2018 to a low of 17% in 2022
- Facilities & Equipment made up majority of expenses between 2017-2021; until a low of 18% in 2022

Mason vs. vcu Revenues: https://knightnewhousedata.org/reports/da531724
Mason vs. vcu Expenses: https://knightnewhousedata.org/reports/ba61acea
- Mason overall expenses vs. revenue in 2022: $30.3M vs. $35.2M
- vcu overall expenses vs. revenue in 2022: $41.9M vs. $43.2M
- vcu far outpacing donor contributions between 2017-2021; practically even in 2022
- Ticket sales make up much larger % of revenues for vcu (not surprising)
- Corporate sponsorship/advertising revenues is relatively even which I found interesting
- School/Govt support appears under-reported for vcu btwn 2017-2021; Mason $2.7M less vs. vcu in 2022
- vcu spends significantly more on overall operating expenses and costs related to facilities/equipment

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Saw people talking about this reporting tool on X. Built by Syracuse's Comms School, it analyzes athletics expenses and revenues for a number of D1 schools (most recent being 2022 academic year). I believe this is publicly reported data so should be pretty accurate. I've included links and some high level notes on ones I found interesting.

George Mason Overall Report: https://knightnewhousedata.org/nfs/george-mason-university
- Revenues largely flat between 2017-2021, uptick in revenue from both student fees & donors in 2022
- Student fees make up majority of revenue bucket (the norm); over 60% in 2022
- School/Govt support hit a high of 29% of revenues in 2018 to a low of 17% in 2022
- Facilities & Equipment made up majority of expenses between 2017-2021; until a low of 18% in 2022

Mason vs. vcu Revenues: https://knightnewhousedata.org/reports/da531724
Mason vs. vcu Expenses: https://knightnewhousedata.org/reports/ba61acea
- Mason overall expenses vs. revenue in 2022: $30.3M vs. $35.2M
- vcu overall expenses vs. revenue in 2022: $41.9M vs. $43.2M
- vcu far outpacing donor contributions between 2017-2021; practically even in 2022
- Ticket sales make up much larger % of revenues for vcu (not surprising)
- Corporate sponsorship/advertising revenues is relatively even which I found interesting
- School/Govt support appears under-reported for vcu btwn 2017-2021; Mason $2.7M less vs. vcu in 2022
- vcu spends significantly more on overall operating expenses and costs related to facilities/equipment

Here are examples of donations to vcu athletics that I find impressive:

(1) $14.5 million of the basketball practice facility's estimated $25 million cost raised through private donations - https://www.wtvr.com/2014/03/11/vcu-basketball-complex

(2) An anonymous donor has pledged $2.5 million towards the vcu Athletics Village's tennis facility - https://vcuathletics.com/news/2022/...2-5-million-gift-towards-village-project.aspx

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Here are examples of donations to vcu athletics that I find impressive:

(1) $14.5 million of the basketball practice facility's estimated $25 million cost raised through private donations - https://www.wtvr.com/2014/03/11/vcu-basketball-complex
We'll have to pretty much match this for our practice facility, just comes down to how long it'll take.

What I find more interesting from that article is that they didn't use any state funding for their practice facility, instead re-allocating existing budget/revenue sources.