Welcome New AD Marvin Lewis

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Apparently Mens lacrosse is only 12.6 scholarships! Why don’t we have it? Seems like a good compromise for not having football haha.

Either cut Mens golf or add women's bowling and water polo. They have to be pretty cheap to fund.
Add Synchronized Swimming. We could bring back the SS ribbon logo.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Is August still the month that someone gets banned for stating a political opinion that only a Karen would take offense to? Asking for a friend. :moon:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Do you think Marvin would be open to answering presubmitted and perhaps a few live questions on YouTube? That might give him a chance to convey his vision/status update and also for fans to give him feedback.
While I’m all for this type of transparency, I fear that we would get nothing but vanilla answers in a forum like this.

I still think an annual update to fans and or donors would be a nice touch however.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
While I’m all for this type of transparency, I fear that we would get nothing but vanilla answers in a forum like this.

I still think an annual update to fans and or donors would be a nice touch however.
It shouldn't take fan-submitted questions to pry a public vision out of our athletic director (and I'm sure Marvin knows this). I'd expect something over the summer, even if it's just in the form of a long email to donors.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
As we’re getting closer to a year of Marvin in the AD slot, how’s everyone feeling? Those that are happy, what’s he done that is hitting the mark? Those that aren’t, what’s he done/not done that you are looking for?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
As we’re getting closer to a year of Marvin in the AD slot, how’s everyone feeling? Those that are happy, what’s he done that is hitting the mark? Those that aren’t, what’s he done/not done that you are looking for?
What I like: generally speaking he wants to create a legit student athlete experience. Championship culture. Blah blah. Nice to hear that. Generally he seems to get what Mason needs to do and stay competitive. He’s commented on our facilities and how they need updating.

i also like the first thing on the agenda is the practice facility. I also liked that he sent out a 100 day email giving some general updates.

Otherwise everything seems status quo and I don’t think there’s anything tangible quite yet (someone correct me if there is other than the logo). We are only coming up on a year.

Will Tony get an extension? Did fundraising improve? Are we getting anywhere with the facility? what about other things like hiring (may not be able to fully control) etc? Is EBA on the agenda at some pt of our lives? What about other facility items?

I still have more questions than answers.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What I like: generally speaking he wants to create a legit student athlete experience. Championship culture. Blah blah. Nice to hear that. Generally he seems to get what Mason needs to do and stay competitive. He’s commented on our facilities and how they need updating.

i also like the first thing on the agenda is the practice facility. I also liked that he sent out a 100 day email giving some general updates.

Otherwise everything seems status quo and I don’t think there’s anything tangible quite yet (someone correct me if there is other than the logo). We are only coming up on a year.

Will Tony get an extension? Did fundraising improve? Are we getting anywhere with the facility? what about other things like hiring (may not be able to fully control) etc? Is EBA on the agenda at some pt of our lives? What about other facility items?

I still have more questions than answers.
I'd say this is pretty along the lines of my thinking.

Some of the things I would add:
He hired Katie Pate in the major donations role. I really like the hire.
He seems to understand the need for NIL funding at Mason in today's environment and appears to be working to support it as the landscape is changing quickly.
Didn't he hire a promising new soccer coach?
Any other new coaching hires?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'd say this is pretty along the lines of my thinking.

Some of the things I would add:
He hired Katie Pate in the major donations role. I really like the hire.
He seems to understand the need for NIL funding at Mason in today's environment and appears to be working to support it as the landscape is changing quickly.
Didn't he hire a promising new soccer coach?
Any other new coaching hires?
Good points - Aaron Brunner seems to be a good coaching hire and the hiring of Katie seems to have very good potential.

For year 1, expected stuff. I don't think its realistic to expect 5 new facility plans in year 1, lol.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
For year 1, expected stuff. I don't think its realistic to expect 5 new facility plans in year 1, lol.

All dependent on resources…and we are talking GM

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

All dependent on resources…and we are talking GM
Yeah, the bar is lowered bc it’s Mason. I’d be happy if we get two new facilities in 5 years.

Not that it’s good, but I know what we are dealing with here. My expectations are kept low.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It would be really interesting to see an in depth analysis that my dumb a** can understand about the impact of facilities in tge present day portal world.

I have an inclination that they aren’t as important, particularly when talking about one year rentals like Anderson and Johnson

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah, the bar is lowered bc it’s Mason. I’d be happy if we get two new facilities in 5 years.

Not that it’s good, but I know what we are dealing with here. My expectations are kept low.
You have to keep in mind we are a public university, and that includes huge bureaucratic hurdles General Gregory Washington will need to cross. Hurdles, had they been around during the revolution, might have kept the real General Washington's Continental army in Pennsylvania and allowed the Hessians to fight another day.

Maybe I'm too sympathetic to the flight and don't expect too much action since I did work in the middle of the bureaucracy for 35 years, but for whatever we can secure money and build, I will be grateful.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It would be really interesting to see an in depth analysis that my dumb a** can understand about the impact of facilities in tge present day portal world.

I have an inclination that they aren’t as important, particularly when talking about one year rentals like Anderson and Johnson
The era of the facilities arms race is over. Which, sadly, is bad news for Mason's poor timing in trying to do phase II of the practice facility 10+ years late.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You have to keep in mind we are a public university, and that includes huge bureaucratic hurdles General Gregory Washington will need to cross. Hurdles, had they been around during the revolution, might have kept the real General Washington's Continental army in Pennsylvania and allowed the Hessians to fight another day.

Maybe I'm too sympathetic to the flight and don't expect too much action since I did work in the middle of the bureaucracy for 35 years, but for whatever we can secure money and build, I will be grateful.
Oh I know- it’s not just snap fingers and go.

But some of that is Mason being Mason. We’ve all discussed that at nauseum at this point.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Just ehh. I expected him to go after the easy wins first to score some quick gains, but I haven’t seen any improvements.

I’d be happy to hear why I’m wrong though.