Welcome New AD Marvin Lewis

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Easy temporary solution to overcrowding in the Gold Room is to just put on of the these on the balcony next to the Gold room with some heaters.

955f859c-814e-4da0-a9f5-98fa9193576d-large16x9_billys.JPG
There’s also ample opportunity to host hospitality events around campus that would be less than a 10min walk to the arena if lack of space is such a hard stop. Not saying for every game, but if they wanted to get creative and do a handful of these for lower tier donors or young alumni before select games it would take minimal effort but probably drive a lot of engagement.

It’s wild how we all can throw around hundreds of ideas on these boards, most not requiring a lot of investment or heavy lifting, and yet we just watch the AD run back the same programs for years with little desire to optimize or try anything new.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Lol they did some sort of Gold Room promo a few years back. I brought some friends who are also alum but not huge baseketball fans. They were pretty excited. We then were promptly SLAUGHTERED by vcu.
So what else is new? Sigh.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Lol they did some sort of Gold Room promo a few years back. I brought some friends who are also alum but not huge baseketball fans. They were pretty excited. We then were promptly SLAUGHTERED by vcu.
This is very true. I know "the AD never tries anything new" is a popular refrain around here, but they've actually tried many new marketing initiatives in the last 5 years and pretty much all of them have ended this way. Let's not blame the marketing team when the product on the floor keeps undoing their work.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Not a statue, but if they ever get around to hanging banners, he should definitely get one.
Yeah a statue is probably excessive.

I just saw on twitter that Doc Nix has been with Mason for 17 years, which is already three years longer than Larranaga. Yet, people still want fo honor Larranaga, despite the fact that he abandoned us lol.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah a statue is probably excessive.

I just saw on twitter that Doc Nix has been with Mason for 17 years, which is already three years longer than Larranaga. Yet, people still want fo honor Larranaga, despite the fact that he abandoned us lol.
Some would argue Mason abandoned Laranaga.

If I had worked and been an integral part of a company’s success and they turn around and compensate me significantly less than my
Peers in the business, I’d be out faster shit through a goose.

Loyalty is a two way street.

Masonfan3

Starter

If I had worked and been an integral part of a company’s success and they turn around and compensate me significantly less than my

Don’t want to keep this going but that’s BS. Mason offered him something that would have put him the top 5 of all mid major coaches in the country. He chose to leave for a high major opportunity and it’s worked out for him. But to say Mason wasn’t loyal and didn’t compensate/wasn’t willing to compensate him like his peers is a bunch of BS.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Good point

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Don’t want to keep this going but that’s BS. Mason offered him something that would have put him the top 5 of all mid major coaches in the country. He chose to leave for a high major opportunity and it’s worked out for him. But to say Mason wasn’t loyal and didn’t compensate/wasn’t willing to compensate him like his peers is a bunch of BS.
Sure, but at gun point while he was getting ready to board a plane to South Florida.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
L was still making well under $1M a year 5 years after taking Mason to the Final Four, going back to the NCAAs in 2008 and then beating Villanova in 2011.

That piss-poor management on the part of Merten and TOC is the reason the Miami opportunity even became a thing. They took it for granted L was going to stay until retirement, he called their bluff and it turned out they were holding 2-7 offsuit.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023