Welcome Mike Gray

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
a Dady and Calixte lineup is inevitable as Mar is now gone and we all now how fun that lineup was to watch last year for 5 mins a game.
Lol I just don't understand why we are all so hell bent on seeing us play our guys out of position. And then we wonder why we are losing games or guys aren't developing in normal linear progressions. Our best players under Paulsen have developed in the position they were physically best suited to play (AJ, Kier, Otis).

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
a Dady and Calixte lineup is inevitable as Mar is now gone and we all now how fun that lineup was to watch last year for 5 mins a game.
Like who knows, Dady has the physical tools to develop into a just fine 3 one day, why put him out of position and at a greater risk of failing? Then we have to recruit over him and he transfers. And we all do the surprised pikachu.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Are we talking about the same Dady here? 6'6, 200 lbs soaking wet? Again, if we see Dady at the 4 we are probably in serious trouble on the defensive end.
No, we're not. He's not a skinny freshman anymore!

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah, who earns minutes at the 2 and 4 spots behind Greene and AJ are probably the two biggest question marks on the roster.

Don't forget Boyd is on the roster too, Kaufman. I have my doubts about him guarding the 2 spot, so I see him as the primary backup for Miller whenever Miller is playing the 4 or on the bench (unless the opposing 2 guard isn't particularly quick and then I can see Boyd's strength working in our favor).

So right now, tentative depth chart?

PG: XJ/Hartwell
SG: Greene/Polite or Kolek? (could also see some XJ/Hartwell pairings if the frosh aren't ready right away)
SF: Miller/Boyd/Frazier or Dady?
PF: AJ/Miller/Henry (hopefully Henry takes some minutes so we can see more of Miller on the wing)
C: Oduro/Calixte/AJ/Henry (matchup dependent here)

I agree with this for the most part
Broken down in mins by position for next year barring unforeseen injuries

PG: XJ 20 mins Hartwell 15 mins Polite 5 mins
SG: Greene 20 min Polite 10 mins Hartwell (too small to guard most 2 guards) 5 mins Kolek 5 mins
SF: Miller 20 mins Boyd 15 mins Frazier 5 mins Dady might swap those with Frazier idk which one is more ready to play without Jack playing defense
PF: AJ 3o mins Miller 5 mins Henry 5 mins
C: Oduro 15 mins Calixte 10 mins AJ 5 mins Henry 5 mins (matchup dependent here) (Agree with you)

Yes, AJ will probably have to play 35 mins a night for us to be competitive and stay out of foul trouble each game. If Henry is ready to contribute right away this gets a lot easier and puts less stress on Miller and AJ. Yes, I have never been a big believer of Boyd being that good and DP will probably double the mins I slotted for him (I think that is a mistake)

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No, we're not. He's not a skinny freshman anymore!
Daddy looked way more like an oversized 2 than a 4 in limited mins last year. But that is just my opinion. He is also of drinking age so idk if he will be growing that much more height wise

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Daddy looked way more like an oversized 2 than a 4 in limited mins last year. But that is just my opinion. He is also of drinking age so idk if he will be growing that much more height wise
If he gets any taller over the next 3 years then some of our short round fans need to get over to Southside and have whatever he's having.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If he gets any taller over the next 3 years then some of our short round fans need to get over to Southside and have whatever he's having.
I will eat nothing but Southside if that is the case. It generally didn't make me grow in height during college and I usually lost weight after eating there.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Minutes per game from last year:
Javon 32.2. I expect that his minutes will stay in this range.
Jordan 32.4. Minutes will stay the same.
AJ 27.7 His minutes need to come up to 30-32.
Jamal 29.0. His minutes need to come down to 10 per night.
XJ 29.2. He should get 30 per night.
Josh 16.9. Josh will probably get 20 this year.
Greg 13.1 Should play 10 unless he has developed a go to move on offense and has learned how to make a free throw.

My projected minutes add up to 165. That leave 35 minutes divided up for Boyd, the freshman and Dady. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I am especially curious to see what minutes Ian earns, as he can play multiple positions.

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Javon 32.2. I expect that wins minutes will stay in this range.
Greg 13.1 Should play 10 unless he has developed a go to move on offense and has learned how to make a free throw.

My projected minutes add up to 165. That leave 35 minutes divided up for Boyd, the freshman and Dady. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I am especially curious to see what minutes Ian earns, as he can play multiple positions.
I thought Javon looked way too tired last year playing so many.. we also have 2 more guards than we did (Kier doesn't count) so I expect his mins to go down hopefully (hope at least one freshman guard is ready to contribute)
Jordan-agree
AJ- Agree
Jamal- unfortunately I agree but I think he still plays a bunch
XJ- probably going to need to run him into the ground but I hope he plays less mins so he can use some of that energy on a semblance of on ball defense
Josh- you're probably right....
Greg- maybe he turns into Shevon :)

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Javon 32.2. I expect that wins minutes will stay in this range.

^^This. Even though we are deeper this year, starters *generally* need 20-25 minimum to get and stay in a groove. I think PG is the only position where talent wise we can expect an even split (with both getting an extra couple of minutes at the 2 to give Javon a breather. I think that Polite isn't going to see a ton of floor time this year, he doesn't really fit any need that we have (unless there are injuries). Kolek will probably get some minutes because he is supposed to be a shooter, and we desparately need that. Boyd will be first off the bench and will probably pull 20-ish minutes a game between the 3 and 4 spots. Josh's minutes should and will go up to 20-22. Not sure what will happen with Greg. Unless there are injuries, I don't expect any of the freshman to average over 12 mpg this season, and they probably shouldn't. Part of having an experienced team is ya know, using that experience. It doesn't help anyone to have every single person on the roster play, this isn't rec league. Guys need to get in a rhythm and have a little lee way and not be worried about getting yanked immediately.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
In anticipation of being questioned on why I feel Jamal's minutes should be reduced so much I will use the old saying that you are what your numbers say you are. I have never questioned Jamal's heart, work ethic, or desire. What I can question is his productivity. Yes, I know he was sick. Here is what the numbers say about what he brought to the table last year.

Minutes - 840
Minutes per game - 29
38% from the field - Not a great stat.
31% from 3 - Also not a great stat.
48 assists from a point guard in 840 minutes? Not nearly good enough.
259 shots in 840 minutes, an average of 8.9 per game. He certainly found time to shoot.

If he plays the point does he really look to pass first? In my eyes he is too small to defend the 2.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
In anticipation of being questioned on why I feel Jamal's minutes should be reduced so much I will use the old saying that you are what your numbers say you are. I have never questioned Jamal's heart, work ethic, or desire. What I can question is his productivity. Yes, I know he was sick. Here is what the numbers say about what he brought to the table last year.

Minutes - 840
Minutes per game - 29
38% from the field - Not a great stat.
31% from 3 - Also not a great stat.
48 assists from a point guard in 840 minutes? Not nearly good enough.
259 shots in 840 minutes, an average of 8.9 per game. He certainly found time to shoot.

If he plays the point does he really look to pass first? In my eyes he is too small to defend the 2.

So i'll say that according to my medical opinion Jamal probably had the rona, so personally I'm giving him a pass for his second half of the season. He looked great going into the tournament.

If you look at our guard stats from last year they are all jacked up. Javon led the team in steals, points, assists, and minutes. Not what you would expect for an off the ball guard. All of our PGs need to get better at distributing the ball.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So i'll say that according to my medical opinion Jamal probably had the rona, so personally I'm giving him a pass for his second half of the season. He looked great going into the tournament.

If you look at our guard stats from last year they are all jacked up. Javon led the team in steals, points, assists, and minutes. Not what you would expect for an off the ball guard. All of our PGs need to get better at distributing the ball.

If you take out the month where he had the mysterious lung disease, he shot 37% from 3 in the A10, which is damn good for a guard coming off the bench.

If XJ can get confidence in his outside shot (he doesn’t have to be a knockdown shooter) I suspect he will lead the team in assists next year (and maybe be 1 or 2 on FT attempts because he’s going to get to the rim A LOT if they have to guard him tighter on the perimeter).

Any updates on Gray? Haven't heard anything from him, is he playing? I know Blue Ridge is rolling, having just beat a pretty good Steward (Richmond team with Curtis Blair's kid) by over 30. But haven't heard anything about Gray.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I haven’t seen him mentioned in any of the articles. But speaking of...why the hell haven’t we offered his teammate Maliq Brown? 6’8 forward 2022 class? 3/4 star player? Not like he’s coming here with offers to Georgetown and Syracuse, but pretty much all the other VA schools have offered (JMU, ODU, Richmond, vcu, Tech).

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Any updates on Gray? Haven't heard anything from him, is he playing? I know Blue Ridge is rolling, having just beat a pretty good Steward (Richmond team with Curtis Blair's kid) by over 30. But haven't heard anything about Gray.

http://www.scrimmageplaycva.com/art...t-blue-ridge-leans-on-defense-to-beat-miller/:

"With Brown and Jones clicking after the break, Blue Ridge found a way to again overcome the absence of Michael Gray, the George Mason signee and reigning state player of the year who’s still out with an injury."