Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We could split hairs all day, but let’s be honest: Zero chance that an intelligent coach like Kim English, who understands modern basketball as well as anyone, would willingly add Saquan Singleton as a PG if he considered him a “non-shooter.”

Technically the only non-shooters on this roster are Ojiako, Malik and Peter Oduro. The other 10 guys are free to let it fly to varying degrees, with the understanding that for some of them, the best shot is gonna result from getting to the rim and not standing outside the arc.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We could split hairs all day, but let’s be honest: Zero chance that an intelligent coach like Kim English, who understands modern basketball as well as anyone, would willingly add Saquan Singleton as a PG if he considered him a “non-shooter.”

Technically the only non-shooters on this roster are Ojiako, Malik and Peter Oduro. The other 10 guys are free to let it fly to varying degrees, with the understanding that for some of them, the best shot is gonna result from getting to the rim and not standing outside the arc.
Plenty of non shooting PGs in recent years that would make our situation better than it was. I wasn’t even talking about Singleton though.

Junkees9

Sixth Man
First of all, I love the interview with the coach. Great stuff. Just one question for you guys. KE talked about Josh O. and how they'd have to see if he expands his game on the perimeter, or something to that affect, and what that will do to the plans to paly Josh and Ojiako together. Josh is obviously great around the rim and I worry a bit that they may ask him to play a bit farther out and that this will detract from his inside presence. Anyone else concerned at all about that?

FreeGunston12

All-American
First of all, I love the interview with the coach. Great stuff. Just one question for you guys. KE talked about Josh O. and how they'd have to see if he expands his game on the perimeter, or something to that affect, and what that will do to the plans to paly Josh and Ojiako together. Josh is obviously great around the rim and I worry a bit that they may ask him to play a bit farther out and that this will detract from his inside presence. Anyone else concerned at all about that?
It sounded like a great possibility in the interview, but I don't think it will be a common lineup.

There is no way we should expect to have as much success shooting the ball this year as last. Our three prospective point guards are a combined 16 of 77 (21%) from deep in their college careers. Now what Dinkins will add to that, I don't know. But as KE said, he tries to not put two non-shooters on the floor at the same time. So I don't think you will see much Oduro and Ojiako together, unless Cooper is playing the point or Dinkins is shooting well.

For the next interview, I'd love an answer to the question of how Cooper and Bailey fit to play together and if KE plans to use Cooper in the same way as last year. He gave a pretty firm answer that Bailey is a SG, and he only will play PG in a pinch. (For the record, I don't think Coop is a real option at PG either)

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
One of Bailey or Cooper is coming off the bench, unless we are playing a 4 guard lineup in which case Cooper is more of a set shooter and Bailey is more of a slasher.

As for Oduro, I’m not super concerned because he was also pretty money taking it off the dribble from the top of the key (he also has a pretty good midrange game) and with a big boy like Ojiako setting down screens. That should open up lanes for all of the other players. If Oduro’s shooting has improved and is more consistent from outside, he’ll be hard to guard no matter where he sets up.

But if you listen carefully, English seems to be really focused on the defensive side of the ball (I hated it every single time we had to double the post). I think everyone needs to be prepared for a less efficient offense in favor of a much tougher defense.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Do they keep stats at practice? Would like to follow Singletons ft n 3pt fg %.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Another piece of news from the interview: Ike state graduated with his masters and is no longer a GA. Need to get Pablo on this and see if he got a DOBO or assistant job anywhere else.

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Peter Oduro breaks the coach!

Year 8 of my coaching career, and I’ve taken great pride in my ability to jump on the court and demonstrate exactly what it should look like in live action. I think after today it’s over for that. Back Spasms on a 10/10 pain wise after a Post Defense segment vs Peter Oduro.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
View: https://twitter.com/SkullSparks/status/1549142270863196160/photo/1

NCAA men's basketball head coaches generating the most interactions on personal Twitter accounts in June 2022. http://SkullSparks.com/analytics

1658189163456.png

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Status
Not open for further replies.