Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The athletic department is doing their part.

The staff is doing their part.

The players are doing their part.

The students are doing their part.

Now we need the community to do their part and get their asses in the seats and fill up EBA.
hate to say it, but it seems like time to do the elementary schools, middle school and high school basketball team comped tickets... get them hooked in non conference and they will pay when we play the good teams.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
hate to say it, but it seems like time to do the elementary schools, middle school and high school basketball team comped tickets... get them hooked in non conference and they will pay when we play the good teams.
Agree — comp whoever will show up now, we’ll make the money on concessions. Get them hooked so they show up to the games that matter during league play. Those Christmas time games should basically be an open door for us for whoever wants to come.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
You just can’t have scenes like this (pic from @BBride)

1636824486688.jpeg

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Agree — comp whoever will show up now, we’ll make the money on concessions. Get them hooked so they show up to the games that matter during league play. Those Christmas time games should basically be an open door for us for whoever wants to come.
Yeah now that we have beer we just need to find the biggest alcoholics in Nova and comp them tickets.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Yeah now that we have beer we just need to find the biggest alcoholics in Nova and comp them tickets.
Yup. Getting that cut of the beer money should help. I imagine Mason gets about 40% of every concessions sale (that's what the Nats got when I worked there years ago before they kicked subcontractors out)

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You just can’t have scenes like this (pic from @BBride)

View attachment 1179

/Rant: Yeah, I applauded the filled student section in an earlier post and on Twitter but this upset me a bit. Need these filled and they will be if the Patriots keep winning. Also bugging me is the lack of a writer from the Post covering this team. I know Steven Goff covers the Patriots occasionally and he had a USMNT soccer game to cover this week but get someone out to EBA and cover the games! Online we had an AP blurb of two sentences after last night's game. I'm not much of a writer and I had more description of the game on my photo blog. /End Rant

psyclone

Hall of Famer
/Rant: Yeah, I applauded the filled student section in an earlier post and on Twitter but this upset me a bit. Need these filled and they will be if the Patriots keep winning. Also bugging me is the lack of a writer from the Post covering this team. I know Steven Goff covers the Patriots occasionally and he had a USMNT soccer game to cover this week but get someone out to EBA and cover the games! Online we had an AP blurb of two sentences after last night's game. I'm not much of a writer and I had more description of the game on my photo blog. /End Rant
Pretty sure this was discussed some time in the past. I think Goff said a few years back that the Post developed a policy to only regularly cover the local teams who were prominent at the "National" level--i.e. Maryland, Georgetown, and (stretching the definition of "local") Virginia, Va Tech. Each of those teams has a regular reporter cover them. But I don't think the sports section has that many reporters (as distinct from columnists like Feinstein, Brewer, Jenkins, Svrugla). Just aren't enough to go around.

Naturally our game with Maryland will get covered by the Maryland regular. And maybe someone like Wang will cover the Mason-GW games if it doesn't conflict with his regular assignment, or maybe Goff if he doesn't have soccer responsibilities. I seem to remember a few games in the recent past when vcu was in town. Otherwise we're dependent on an occasional Feinstein visit if he thinks there is a story out here he's interested in. I know Feinstein has some ties to Navy....maybe he'll drop by for our game with them.

Now if we should make a splash, say by beating a nationally ranked Terps squad, or visits from nationally ranked A10 team (like Dayton was 2 years ago, or maybe the Bonnies this year) that might get their attention. But I'd bet we're not getting regular coverage in the Post unless we start breaking through national rankings and have a few sold out games.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not a closely held secret that all the national papers are actually pretty stretched thin with small press rooms (and local papers are non-existent because they have either folded or been bought by a national conglomerate).

As Petey said, we can’t rely on the traditional media to get our information. I do wish we had some more regular and dedicated writers writing up all the games and doing in-depth analysis, though (no shade thrown at the work being done on Twitter spaces and podcasts and the access we get to post-game pressers).

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Since our MD game thread has ben thoroughly trashed by this and other topics, I thought I'd try to bring the speculation/worry/fantasizing/other about CKE leaving us to this thread. Also, this thread had fallen to the second page, and that just isn't right!

I know it is many different people, but I feel like I am listening to a person with split personalities when talking about loyalty and coaches and even players.

People have talked about CKE not leaving because he will be loyal to Mason. He has been here roughly a half year and done the job he has been paid for. He hasn't promised us anything like he would stay here forever. If he gets a better offer at some point and decides it is better for him, abides by his contract terms, good for him. I'll be hugely sad, but, them's the breaks.

Then we talk about Coach L like he is still loyal to Mason He is the one that promised to remain at Mason until he retired. He talked up Mid Major's and their plight. Then, as soon as someone else in the league got paid more than him, he was no longer happy, ran for the first big paycheck he could find and started bad mouthing mid-majors and dragged Mason into that conversation as well. If he hadn't promised to retire from Mason, and not changed his tune 180 degrees, I'd have had no issue with what he did.

Then, almost in the same breath, people plead to drop a commit like a hot rock before the facts have been analyzed. Not saying it isn't in Mason's best interest to do so, it is. My point is, it is a two way street. We seem to be OK with doing disloyal things in our best interest but don't like it when others do things in their best interest.

Last edited:

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
People have talked about CKE not leaving because he will be loyal to Mason. He has been here roughly a half year and done the job he has been paid for. He hasn't promised us anything like he would stay here forever. If he gets a better offer at some point and decides it is better for him, abides by his contract terms, good for him. I'll be hugely sad, but, them's the breaks.

I think we all agree on this (objectively). But let's f'ing donate to the program and show CKE that he can achieve his goals here. Make him hold out for a blue blood.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

Cuonzo Martin at Mizzou is making 3x what CKE is making. If & when it happens, it's the job of Brad Edwards to find the next Coach and not skip a beat. To be more like Butler (Brad Collier > Todd Lickliter > Brad Stevens > Chris Holtman), vcu (Capel > Grant > Smart > Wade > Rhoades) or Xavier (Pete Gillen > Skip Prosser > Thad Matta > Sean Miller > Chris Mack) or Dayton (Oliver Purnell > Brian Gregory > Archie Miller > Anthony Grant) and less like...well....us.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think we all agree on this (objectively). But let's f'ing donate to the program and show CKE that he can achieve his goals here. Make him hold out for a blue blood.
How about donating like we are a blue blood and force admission to the club!

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This this and all of this. We can't control what Kim decides to do and thinking about it is silly, but the least we can do is continue to pump resources into the program so that if he asks for a whirlpool jacuzzi in the practice facility, theres enough of a budget to go get one.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Since our MD game thread has ben thoroughly trashed by this and other topics, I thought I'd try to bring the speculation/worry/fantasizing/other about CKE leaving us to this thread. Also, this thread had fallen to the second page, and that just isn't right!

I know it is many different people, but I feel like I am listening to a person with split personalities when talking about loyalty and coaches and even players.

Then we talk about Coach L like he is still loyal to Mason He is the one that promised to remain at Mason until he retired. He talked up Mid Major's and their plight. Then, as soon as someone else in the league got paid more than him, he was no longer happy, ran for the first big paycheck he could find and started bad mouthing mid-majors and dragged Mason into that conversation as well. If he hadn't promised to retire from Mason, and not changed his tune 180 degrees, I'd have had no issue with what he did.

Then, almost in the same breath, people plead to drop a commit like a hot rock before the facts have been analyzed. Not saying it isn't in Mason's best interest to do so, it is. My point is, it is a two way street. We seem to be OK with doing disloyal things in our best interest but don't like it when others do things in their best interest.
Did L really promise to stay at Mason until retirement?

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Glad you have your act completely together. Kudos.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Cuonzo Martin at Mizzou is making 3x what CKE is making. If & when it happens, it's the job of Brad Edwards to find the next Coach and not skip a beat. To be more like Butler (Brad Collier > Todd Lickliter > Brad Stevens > Chris Holtman), vcu (Capel > Grant > Smart > Wade > Rhoades) or Xavier (Pete Gillen > Skip Prosser > Thad Matta > Sean Miller > Chris Mack) or Dayton (Oliver Purnell > Brian Gregory > Archie Miller > Anthony Grant) and less like...well....us.

No disagreement here. I think it's well established that the largest risk is Mizzou and we should all be fans of them this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.