Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
What a horrendous comparison. If we could play pack line it would be amazing. But we probably can't begin to teach it the right way. Felton is a fine fellow. Him, Kim and Simp combined are no Tony Bennet. Plus, our player IQ isn't close to Uva's.

Since you need help keeping up I will explain that I only said that because Kim English wants to get out and run and have the defense fuel his offense ......he said that,not me. but hes not coaching the game that way so many people here are confused. Ya know, you must be a cowboy fan. Always delusional. Ya know that star on yalls helmet is not a logo, but a rating. Lol
What he wants, and what our players are capable of doing well, are two completely different things as I’m sure you realize.

We can pressure the ball on defense and play up-tempo on offense, and all we’re going to get is a team that gives up a gazillion layups and turns the ball over 30 times.

I would say it’s good coaching to try to figure out a style that gives your players the best CHANCE of winning. Does that mean you’re going to win them all? Of course not. But please let’s stop acting like the sky is falling when the numbers say this is one of the best teams we’ve had in over a decade.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Let me save 79....buddy, it's not the players. It's the coaching. That's what dictates the position the player is put in to play to his and the teams potential.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What he wants, and what our players are capable of doing well, are two completely different things as I’m sure you realize.
So Kim says he wants to play faster and have defense fuel the offense bc?

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Let me save 79....buddy, it's not the players. It's the coaching. That's what dictates the position the player is put in to play to his and the teams potential.
And you may be absolutely right. BUT, whenever I say CKE can't coach I'm hounded too. So let me put it this way, We are losing games we should be winning. Somebody isn't doing their job.
Pick players. Pick coaching. Pick both.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

We can pressure the ball on defense and play up-tempo on offense, and all we’re going to get is a team that gives up a gazillion layups and turns the ball over 30 times.

I would say it’s good coaching to try to figure out a style that gives your players the best CHANCE of winning. Does that mean you’re going to win them all? Of course not. But please let’s stop acting like the sky is falling when the numbers say this is one of the best teams we’ve had in over a decade.
if Ticket is out for a prolonged period we might be in deep trouble because we have 3 players that are + individual defenders on this team and our best one is now not currently playing. So weird how I can agree so deeply with half of your point and disagree so much with the other half lol this defense is not good and it being boring is not the reason why it is not good

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
And you may be absolutely right. BUT, whenever I say CKE can't coach I'm hounded too. So let me put it this way, We are losing games we should be winning. Somebody isn't doing their job.
Pick players. Pick coaching. Pick both.
Nobody is hounding you but you aren't doing anything to defend your point or make us at least give you the benefit. Saying better players do xyz. I mean we can cherry pick all day because no player does everything well. Expecting that is just crazy.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Best team in over a decade??

2011 nope. COACH L IN DANCE
2012 nope. Players were good, but The Virus couldn't coach em.

the latter is showing more and more.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
if Ticket is out for a prolonged period we might be in deep trouble because we have 3 players that are + individual defenders on this team and our best one is now not currently playing. So weird how I can agree so deeply with half of your point and disagree so much with the other half lol this defense is not good and it being boring is not the reason why it is not good
Perhaps if GMU needs Ticket more for defense than offense that will lead to him returning sooner. An injured hand shouldn't hurt his D as much as his offense.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
which I agree with, but that's not at all what I can decipher from your post lol I don't see TB defenders getting driven past at will like guards do to Ronnie and Coop nor do I see horrible interior defense from UVA bigs to understand this comparison

UVA also has the third slowest tempo in the country offensively draining the game clock and reducing possessions we don't do that
Was not at all making a comparison of the way we execute defensively, that would be perhaps the dumbest thing ever posted here. We are clearly not a defensive juggernaut. Merely pushing back against the contention that good defense must necessarily force a lot of turnovers … that’s simply not true.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Was not at all making a comparison of the way we execute defensively, that would be perhaps the dumbest thing ever posted here. We are clearly not a defensive juggernaut. Merely pushing back against the contention that good defense must necessarily force a lot of turnovers … that’s simply not true.
Boy, glad I didn't post THAT!! ;)

FreeGunston12

All-American
I mean you are just inexplicably wrong about us not having better players. i won't call you an idiot but you are just flat out incorrect. A TON to bitch about on this team, not sure talent level would be the one I would harp on. We couldn't even sniff a guy like Ticket, Schwartz or Bailey under DP. CKE has impressively increased the talent pool in two years. Whether he has any idea what he is doing with defensive game planning or coaching is certainly something to talk about though.
Meh. Im not so sure those three are in any different talent category than say Kier, Miller, Kolek, Otis, etc. I mean our best player is still a DP holdover. . .

But I do agree, talent isn't the biggest problem here.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I find myself conflicted in regard to KE. I was delighted when he was hired and was all in on him. He said ALL the right things to fire up a fanbase that had been deprived for over a decade in a way that DP never did. He talked openly about "success" being championships and NCAA appearances. I was in heaven. My donations increased and I was ready to take on the A10 and NCAA.

A year and a half later I find myself beginning to doubt him, his methods, strategies, and his ability to recruit "championship" players. I don't like feeling that way. IMO he has done a "nice" or "adequate" job of getting guys from the portal. Schwartz, Cooper, Gaines, Ojiako, Singleton, etc. have kept us from sucking and being the bottom of the barrel. Yet, what have we won with them? Nothing. We were 14-16 (7-9) last year. We currently stand at 9-6 (1-1) for an overall record of 23-22 (8-10). We are 0-6 in holiday tourneys and 0-1 in the A10 tourney. We can't buy a freaking road win. Not much to write home about if winning is the ultimate goal. Not a great resume thus far. Do I still hold out hope? Yes, but my confidence is waning. We still have no real identity (offensively or defensively) or the "toughness" that he has talked about wanting so much.

In regard to recruiting....On paper he has delivered "star" recruits in a way that DP never did. But what have they done for us to date? In no way is it my intention to bash any player. If it comes across that way I'm sorry. I fully expected JF to deliver 15-20 minutes a night given his hype coming in. But, "great athletes" often are not great players. The guys coming in next year? Could be studs, could be busts. I doubt we'll win with 3 freshmen in the starting line-up if that's what it boils down to.

The portal for next year? Well, most players that have come to us have had a previous relationship with KE. That's going to dry up in the next year or two. Finding a great player, that wants to come to GMU, will be harder and harder to find given our 12 year track record. No prime time players leave current situations, it just doesn't happen that way.

Are we going to be better next year? Highly doubtful given our current roster, the players who will leave at the end of the year, and our overall youth next year. If Michael, Magic, and Larry walk through the door I may change my tune.

I want to believe!!!!!!!!!!!! Just find myself in the early stages of doubt given our crappy 12 year history. My 2 cents and I'm sticking to it.

In the meantime I'll continue to go to every home game, some road games, post game threads here, live and die with the team, say positive things when we win, and criticize when we lose. It's called being die hard.

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I find myself conflicted in regard to KE. I was delighted when he was hired and was all in on him. He said ALL the right things to fire up a fanbase that had been deprived for over a decade in a way that DP never did. He talked openly about "success" being championships and NCAA appearances. I was in heaven. My donations increased and I was ready to take on the A10 and NCAA.

A year and a half later I find myself beginning to doubt him, his methods, strategies, and his ability to recruit "championship" players. I don't like feeling that way. IMO he has done a "nice" or "adequate" job of getting guys from the portal. Schwartz, Cooper, Gaines, Ojiako, Singleton, etc. have kept us from sucking and being the bottom of the barrel. Yet, what have we won with them? Nothing. We were 14-16 (7-9) last year. We currently stand at 9-6 (1-1) for an overall record of 23-22 (8-10). We are 0-6 in holiday tourneys and 0-1 in the A10 tourney. We can't buy a freaking road win. Not much to write home about if winning is the ultimate goal. Not a great resume thus far. Do I still hold out hope? Yes, but my confidence is waning. We still have no real identity (offensively or defensively) or the "toughness" that he has talked wanting about so much.

In regard to recruiting....On paper he has delivered "star" recruits in a way that DP never did. But what have they done for us to date? In no way is it my intention to bash any player. If it comes across that way I'm sorry. I fully expected JF to deliver 15-20 minutes a night given his hype coming in. But, "great athletes" often are not great players. The guys coming in next year? Could be studs, could be busts. I doubt we'll win with 3 freshmen in the starting line-up if that's what it boils down to.

The portal for next year? Well, most players that have come to us have had a previous relationship with KE. That's going to dry up in the next year or two. Finding a great player, that wants to come to GMU, will be harder and harder to find given our 12 year track record. No prime time players leave current situations, it just doesn't happen that way.

Are we going to be better next year? Highly doubtful given our current roster, the players who will leave at the end of the year, and our overall youth next year. If Michael, Magic, and Larry walk through the door I may change my tune.

I want to believe!!!!!!!!!!!! Just find myself in the early stages of doubt given our crappy 12 year history. My 2 cents and I'm sticking to it.

In the meantime I'll continue to go to every home game, some road games, post game threads here, live and die with the team, say positive things when we win, and criticize when we lose. It's called being die hard.
Thank you for saying what I so poorly did.
And like you, I stand by my statement. I do not believe KE has brought in players good enough to get the results he had us all believing we would get. Maybe some of it (a lot of it?) is coaching, but still, these guys may be better than DP's guys, but they aren't championship guys. Stats matter...kind of. Winning matters. Period.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I understand a little bit of concern given our (possibly overhyped) expectations for this season and our poor tournament performances to date. But, I think some need to take a deep breath. We finished non conference play, if I recall correctly, something like third in NET and fourth in KenPom rankings in the A10. We are undefeated at home so far this year. We won our first conference game but lost our second, but that loss came at an arena that has been ranked as the toughest place to win in all of the A10 and even been given honorable mention as one of the toughest in D1. Not to mention it was pretty close and that was without one of our starters, our best defender playing.

Let's see how the rest of the conference play goes before we decided to write off this season and our coach.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I know this goes against the grain here, and I know every coach in the country is active in the tranfer portal, but it seems to me that CKE just isn't signing very good players.
Ehh, I think he signed pretty good players. I think he failed at signing a complimentary players. This team lacks a pass first PG who can defend, and players who have a knack for grabbing rebounds.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Ehh, I think he signed pretty good players. I think he failed at signing a complimentary players. This team lacks a pass first PG who can defend, and players who have a knack for grabbing rebounds.
I agree with this. It’s hard to describe and to pinpoint exactly but with a senior laden group they needed players who did certain things. Singleton is a nice complimentary player but he’s not the pg that we needed to help Ronny out (Ronny has been great for the most part, but he needs help and Dinkins isn’t quite ready).

Hopefully as the team continues to improve (they’ve improved a lot), guys will settle more in especially since ticket is injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.