WELCOME JUSTYN FERNANDEZ!!!

JPgmuswim

Starter
If I had to guess Justyn is announcing he’s transferring to Providence Today at 12:30.
A31AA9D8-3447-4AC5-A5D8-A96B89F3D9F5.jpeg

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I suggest you factor in when making your judgement that Justyn chose Mason over offers from some much higher level teams, primarily, because of CKE.
I wonder if he does end up with KE, I imagine his parents might ask Justin if he’s not setting himself up given the KE 2 years or forever timeframe. If I were he I’d go where my interests are best served B10/ACC/SEC with an established coach.

emjayar08

Sixth Man
I wonder if he does end up with KE, I imagine his parents might ask Justin if he’s not setting himself up given the KE 2 years or forever timeframe. If I were he I’d go where my interests are best served B10/ACC/SEC with an established coach.
Justyn has posted two photos in the last couple days, both have vcu logos in the background…

He’s gonna go to the dark side.

Bricker

Starter
I would be surprised if he didn’t follow English. If he goes elsewhere, what does it mean? KE thinks he can immediately over-recruit him in the Big East? Or that JF feels that KE lost his shine or feels he can be happier playing elsewhere?

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I know this will be an unpopular opinion and I am not saying this to strike up debates about who did what, etc. I think we had a window to keep CKE if we had acted fast before PC job opened up and they showed him all their shiny toys (look at the video of their practice facility and tell me you wouldn't have gone there) and how competent they are run plus the handsome pay raise. He wasn't just jumping at the first chance that came along. I don't think that CKE will definitely leave Providence quickly. Now, if he doesn't like the town, all the shiny stuff won't matter forever. For one, I understand he did not move his family to RI like he did when he came to Mason.

I got to know CKE pretty well. He is a great person and very genuine. He loves all of his players and he will help all of them in some way for the rest of their lives, whether he is presently their coach or not. The higher he goes, the more his influence to help them will go as well. He is a friend and a person I think the world of. I think you will find similar sentiments from anyone that has gotten to know him. I would love to hate him to make this transition easier to swallow, but I can't.

That being said, from a Mason standpoint, I have moved on and I plan to welcome our new coach when he is announced and support him to the best of my abilities.

I wish the best for Justyn and hope he doesn't choose vcu so that I can continue to cheer for him.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know this will be an unpopular opinion and I am not saying this to strike up debates about who did what, etc. I think we had a window to keep CKE if we had acted fast before PC job opened up and they showed him all their shiny toys (look at the video of their practice facility and tell me you wouldn't have gone there) and how competent they are run plus the handsome pay raise. He wasn't just jumping at the first chance that came along. I don't think that CKE will definitely leave Providence quickly. Now, if he doesn't like the town, all the shiny stuff won't matter forever. For one, I understand he did not move his family to RI like he did when he came to Mason.

I got to know CKE pretty well. He is a great person and very genuine. He loves all of his players and he will help all of them in some way for the rest of their lives, whether he is presently their coach or not. The higher he goes, the more his influence to help them will go as well. He is a friend and a person I think the world of. I think you will find similar sentiments from anyone that has gotten to know him. I would love to hate him to make this transition easier to swallow, but I can't.

That being said, from a Mason standpoint, I have moved on and I plan to welcome our new coach when he is announced and support him to the best of my abilities.

I wish the best for Justyn and hope he doesn't choose vcu so that I can continue to cheer for him.
Spot on — agree with all. From the interactions I did have with Kim he was a class act coach and person. I tend to agree with us having a chance to preempt this and missed on it. Hope that as much as it stings it leads to meaningful change within Masons administration and how we do things.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'd like to know what GMU offered English to stay. According to ByGeorge it was "unprecedented." I'll casually root for Fernandez while rooting hard against Providence.

MasonMojo

Preferred Walk-On
the kid who only had a handful of memorable games against very light A10 competition and scored a grand total of 6 points in the A10 tournament in 41 minutes of play spread across two games thinks that increasing the skill level of the opposition tenfold is the answer eh?

gmuballer14

Sixth Man
the kid who only had a handful of memorable games against very light A10 competition and scored a grand total of 6 points in the A10 tournament in 41 minutes of play spread across two games thinks that increasing the skill level of the opposition tenfold is the answer eh?
Only thing I would say is that he was just a freshman.