Welcome Joel Kabimba

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
6’8 transfer from Stetson.
I’ll update this first post with more info when I don’t have an infant on my lap. And I’ll move relevant posts too

Edit: Merged some posts in here. Not sure what is going to be moving but I suspect more roster news will be coming. I too thought it would be a preferred walk-on situation but it doesn't appear so. Keep in mind that Mason was connected to a few players in the last week or so.

To me this seems like a "13th man" "depth on the roster at the 5" type of pickup, unless they think this guy can really play.

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Why in the world would a guy who was on scholarship at a D-I school transfer to walk on at Mason? Not saying you’re wrong but it would be weird as hell.
Duquesne does it every year… maybe he’s on academic scholarship and CKE is a lot smarter than DP was in that regard

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Why in the world would a guy who was on scholarship at a D-I school transfer to walk on at Mason? Not saying you’re wrong but it would be weird as hell.
Given KE's level of recruiting, why would he offer a guy who averaged 5+3 in the ASun and lost playing time last year? It's not exactly cut and dry but this screams "elite walk-on" and not "scholarship guy." I should clarify I have no inside info.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Duquesne does it every year… maybe he’s on academic scholarship and CKE is a lot smarter than DP was in that regard
There is no such thing as academic scholarships for football and basketball. If you’re on scholarship you count toward the limit (unless you play multiple sports and count toward that team’s allotment).

Also which D-I scholarship player transferred to Duquesne to walk on? I don’t recall anyone but they have so much turnover it’s hard to keep track.

Last edited:

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Good size depth pick up, especially presuming he is a walk-on. Oduro and Malik are basically our only big men at the moment. Who know's where the hell Mouhamed Mbaye is and Blake Jones needs to bulk up.

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
There is no such thing as academic scholarships for football and basketball. If you’re on scholarship you count toward the limit.

Also which D-I scholarship player transferred to Duquesne to walk on? I don’t recall anyone but they have so much turnover it’s hard to keep track.
they have had 2 years over 14 scholarship basketball players in the last 3 years... not sure exactly how they are skirting the rules but it is happening yearly

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Preferred walk on feels right on this one. I'm still not 100% sold that our roster is exactly what it will be come November 1st, but this one is not like the others.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sorry, not trying to be an asshole on the welcome thread, but with Kaufmann moving posts around all willy nilly in real time it makes it confusing.

Welcome Joel! Walk on or scholarship, doesn't matter. We love you just the same.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Somebody is leaving, just waiting for the announcement
not to call you out, but you have been saying this ominously the last month or so. Do you have any info or is this just an educated guess? All the team minus Mbaye and our Aussie assassin are here.