Welcome AJ WIlson

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah, he had 20 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 assists in his last game that year against St. Bonaventure; 28, 8, and 6 against GW in the game before it.

Some other notable performances:

26, 12, and 4 against Davidson
18, 14, and 5 against St. Joes
32 and 4 against Vermont
22 and 9 against UMass
14 and 7 against Duquense
19 and 10 against URI
12, 6, and 5 against SLU

Great performances, I’ll never argue that, however I can also cherry pick plenty of games where he didn’t score above 6 points from that same season. He’s never averaged over 2.5 assists in a season. He’s somewhat turnover prone, he averages close to 3 TOs a game. I think he’s absolutely been a solid player for us, but the actual question I have and not just trying to be a Debbie downer because I’m stuck at home and thought about this earlier, hypothetically would Justin start at the 2 spot at any of the teams from the top 4 of the A10 last year?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’m just wondering why I find myself arguing with certain Mason fans about the importance of a guy who was one of the best players in our conference as a junior.

I get people are pessimistic, but revisionist history is silly.
Revisionist history is silly. Thus I’m not sure why we are still talking about Kier 2018-19 before the devastating injuries that probably won’t ever get him back to that level.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Great performances, I’ll never argue that, however I can also cherry pick plenty of games where he didn’t score above 6 points from that same season. He’s never averaged over 2.5 assists in a season. He’s somewhat turnover prone, he averages close to 3 TOs a game. I think he’s absolutely been a solid player for us, but the actual question I have and not just trying to be a Debbie downer because I’m stuck at home and thought about this earlier, hypothetically would Justin start at the 2 spot at any of the teams from the top 4 of the A10 last year?

No offense but I think Paulsen Derangement Syndrome has warped some people’s brains.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m just wondering why I find myself arguing with certain Mason fans about the importance of a guy who was one of the best players in our conference as a junior.

I get people are pessimistic, but revisionist history is silly.

I personally don’t think Kier is coming back. I think the team gets a boost if he does, but I’m not sure how to quantify how much of a boost it will be. I wrote what I did on the assumption he’s not coming back.

Kier would at minimum be a 6th man on another a10 team with his abilities.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
No offense but I think Paulsen Derangement Syndrome has warped some people’s brains.

Lol I understand where you are coming from man, but for once from me this has nothing to do with Paulsen. I’m just genuinely curious what people think, does Justin Kier start at the 2 guard on any of the teams that finished in the top 4 last year, and if so who does he start over from those teams?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Lol I understand where you are coming from man, but for once from me this has nothing to do with Paulsen. I’m just genuinely curious what people think, does Justin Kier start at the 2 guard on any of the teams that finished in the top 4 last year, and if so who does he start over from those teams?

I think it’s possible he could have started ahead of Tyrese Martin on URI or Nick Sherrod on Richmond or Tay Weaver on SLU.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Is Mason the only school where the fans consistently place higher value on other teams’ players than their own?

I find this phenomenon ridiculous but fascinating at the same time.

The other teams' players are, mostly, better, but I wouldn't expect you to be able to see that.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Justin Keir is a good to trending average basketball player on a bad basketball team in the A-10s.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I feel a lot more comfortable that he’s coming back for his senior year. Looking forward to see what he can do and what the coaching staff draws up for him to be successful this offseason. Hopefully they work on his passing and court vision because he’s going to see a lot of double teams next year.
Just watched Semi Pro. AJ needs more Alley Oops!

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think it’s possible he could have started ahead of Tyrese Martin on URI or Nick Sherrod on Richmond or Tay Weaver on SLU.

Personally I don’t think he would start over Sherrod, Tay Weaver I could go either way on, you bring up a good point that he gives them some sorely needed FT shooting, Tyrese martin I think is a push. Martin is bigger, Kier is a better finisher.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Personally I don’t think he would start over Sherrod, Tay Weaver I could go either way on, you bring up a good point that he gives them some sorely needed FT shooting, Tyrese martin I think is a push. Martin is bigger, Kier is a better finisher.

Tay Weaver started two games for SLU. Kier could definitely start over Demarius Jacobs, the real starter, but wouldn't get more minutes than Perkins (A10 6th Man of the Year).

Martin was a stud but Kier starts over him easily. Probably a little bit better at everything at his peak (post foot injury, who knows).

Chatman from Dayton is interesting. Very much a fifth starter, by no means irreplaceable. Would love to see what Kier could do in a system that gets so many open looks at the rim.

He's not starting over Sherrod, because Richmond needs a guy in that spot who shoots a high percentage from 3 on high volume. Sherrod took twice as many 3s this year as Kier did last year and shot six points better (43% vs 37%).

Richmond is the only team he's definitely not starting over the incumbent, imo. Fun hypothetical but this is all kind of academic because he's getting a shitload of minutes on all those teams.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Wasn’t AJ holding out for a P5 offer before eventually signing with mason? I wonder if he still has the itch to play for a P5. Giant killer just shared a photo AJ’s Instagram pic with a UMD player.