Tournament(s) Discussion

psyclone

Hall of Famer
This was first one since Mason went in 06. I liked the experience/excitement of being there live, but, in my opinion they have ruined the fan experience overall by moving it into the football arenas. The 06 was still using the half arena setup (I think that was the last year) and that was better than this one that used the full arena. But, if fans are still willing to pay for it, I guess they have no reason to stop doing it.
I too went to Mason's Final Four game in Indy. Even that venue was cavernous...seemed like the pep band was in a different time zone and I wasn't even in far-flung seats. Nothing like singing along with Livin on a Prayer and having it sound like you were in the Grand Canyon! Hard to fathom that the SuperDome was even a worse experience.

The previous rounds in Dayton and MCI/Cap Center/Verizon (or whatever what is was called then) was much more fan-friendly.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Having the Final Four at football stadiums/domes isn't going away. Its too difficult to get all the tickets to partners, sponsors, schools, etc plus the general public into an arena.
I am glad they've gone away from having any of the first two weekend sites at stadiums. Based on the current schedule, only one non-Final Four venue will be at a dome and thats in Indy for the 2025 Midwest Regional. Other than that, all arenas. Hopefully they'll move the '25 regional out of the dome but not likely.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
This was first one since Mason went in 06. I liked the experience/excitement of being there live, but, in my opinion they have ruined the fan experience overall by moving it into the football arenas. The 06 was still using the half arena setup (I think that was the last year) and that was better than this one that used the full arena. But, if fans are still willing to pay for it, I guess they have no reason to stop doing it.

I just remember getting to the Final Four and how weird it felt down on the floor. Totally different from even playing on the floor of the then-Verizon Center, which is a big arena. The floor of the RCA dome felt like we were outside. Didn't help that it was also a dome. Overall it didn't feel like the right kind of venue for basketball.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I just remember getting to the Final Four and how weird it felt down on the floor. Totally different from even playing on the floor of the then-Verizon Center, which is a big arena. The floor of the RCA dome felt like we were outside. Didn't help that it was also a dome. Overall it didn't feel like the right kind of venue for basketball.
But that's when Fleming put Jordan Carter up on his shoulders after Coach L gave him the measuring tape after the team was speechless walking in to the stadium. 10 FEET.

L stated.... I think you will find these exact same measurements back at our gym in Fairfax.

Lamar then yelled.... Mason... as it echoed throughout the empty arena.

good times

psyclone

Hall of Famer
But that's when Fleming put Jordan Carter up on his shoulders after Coach L gave him the measuring tape after the team was speechless walking in to the stadium. 10 FEET.

L stated.... I think you will find these exact same measurements back at our gym in Fairfax.

Lamar then yelled.... Mason... as it echoed throughout the empty arena.

good times
And just before they left the locker room to take the floor against Florida, Coach L said to the team....
"I love you guys".