Tournament(s) Discussion

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
St Peter’s a small school in Jersey City makes the sweet 16.

pretty sure they’ll sell more in merch this week than their 1m budget in basketball they spend

Hopefully their administration is smart enough to fund raise *for the athletics* and not just academic... #sidedoor.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Dayton at Vandy in NIT even though a #1 seed. Now in OT. Malachi Smith still not playing as he turned his ankle vs Richmond in the A-10 tourny.

on espn2

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Dayton at Vandy in NIT even though a #1 seed. Now in OT. Malachi Smith still not playing as he turned his ankle vs Richmond in the A-10 tourny.

on espn2
Vandy wins by 2. Scottie Pippin jr with 32 pts.

Only the Bonnies left in the post-season from the A-10

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
OP
Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Dayton at Vandy in NIT even though a #1 seed.

Did they mention why that was the case? Read some of the coverage and didn't see an explanation.

Vandy's gym is weird, being an old theatre w/the court raised and the benches underneath the baskets. The slightly different site lines along w/no having the home crowd could have been a real difference in an OT game decided by a single basket.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Did they mention why that was the case? Read some of the coverage and didn't see an explanation.

Vandy's gym is weird, being an old theatre w/the court raised and the benches underneath the baskets. The slightly different site lines along w/no having the home crowd could have been a real difference in an OT game decided by a single basket.
The Ohio state high school tournaments were using Dayton Arena so the game was played at Vandy

OP
Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Vanderbilt changed their logo, which has received near universal negative feedback:
FOduiEtX0AwSyIV
FOduiE6XEAMoiXJ

And then Xavier athletics did this after beating them in the NIT last night.

View: https://twitter.com/XUAthletics/status/1506470314615660547?s=20&t=CH1nkNIC6n4ZBgGup7v8Qw

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Vanderbilt changed their logo, which has received near universal negative feedback:
FOduiEtX0AwSyIV
FOduiE6XEAMoiXJ

And then Xavier athletics did this after beating them in the NIT last night.

View: https://twitter.com/XUAthletics/status/1506470314615660547?s=20&t=CH1nkNIC6n4ZBgGup7v8Qw

Well their new logo is bland and dumb. The old logo wasn't too creative but it had a timeless look. It's why I prefer the GM logo...that's always going to look good whereas the shooting star looks like we're stuck in 1998.

OP
Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Well their new logo is bland and dumb. The old logo wasn't too creative but it had a timeless look. It's why I prefer the GM logo...that's always going to look good whereas the shooting star looks like we're stuck in 1998.

I actually don't think it's that bad when you see it in context of the signage, etc. If it'd gone the other direction, I suspect people would haaate the star and say it looks like clip art and created in MS Paint.

But meh..whatever. I was more laughing about the Xavier post-game tweet than stylistic commentary. I'm old enough to recall the GMU-to-Mason and Quilled M outrage of aught four that set Fairfax in flames. If I recall, @gmubrian had a part in that abomination to the eyes of God & man.

(and by flames & abomination, I mean a couple months of message board bitching)

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I actually don't think it's that bad when you see it in context of the signage, etc. If it'd gone the other direction, I suspect people would haaate the star and say it looks like clip art and created in MS Paint.

But meh..whatever. I was more laughing about the Xavier post-game tweet than stylistic commentary. I'm old enough to recall the GMU-to-Mason and Quilled M outrage of aught four that set Fairfax in flames. If I recall, @gmubrian had a part in that abomination to the eyes of God & man.

(and by flames & abomination, I mean a couple months of message board bitching)
Can't blame me for the Quilled M logo, I had no part of that. If I recall correctly, there was some other logo that it resembled. Coincidentally, I was thinking about that controversy recently I tried finding it a couple months back and couldn't.

I think you are thinking of my participation in replacing Gunston with the Patriot. I was part of that. I did that for you guys on the boards at the time. I risked my family life for that. At the time, my kids loved Gunston and would have hated me for participating in that. It was only earlier this year that I told them about my involvement in that. One historical tidbit related to that. I still have my Guck Funston t-shirt. I don't remember who made those, but that was what sparked the creation of the panel to replace Gunston, to head off an embarrassing showing of people wearing those to games.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Can't blame me for the Quilled M logo, I had no part of that. If I recall correctly, there was some other logo that it resembled. Coincidentally, I was thinking about that controversy recently I tried finding it a couple months back and couldn't.

I think you are thinking of my participation in replacing Gunston with the Patriot. I was part of that. I did that for you guys on the boards at the time. I risked my family life for that. At the time, my kids loved Gunston and would have hated me for participating in that. It was only earlier this year that I told them about my involvement in that. One historical tidbit related to that. I still have my Guck Funston t-shirt. I don't remember who made those, but that was what sparked the creation of the panel to replace Gunston, to head off an embarrassing showing of people wearing those to games.

You monster! I loved Gunston. I also used to work at Burke Lake Golf Center with George Malenich, the University maintenance guy who played the various mascots over the years.

Frankly I think we should ditch the patriot in favor of someone dressed up like a Patriot (ala the New Mexico State Aggies) and have them go alongside an updated Gunston. Kind of like a G-Man/G-Wiz side-by-side mascot pairing that celebrates the absurd and the intimidating.

This, of course, accompanies going full on with the "GM" logo as one of the many program improvements my administration will implement once those cowards on the board of directors elect me AD.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I understand people's issues about various icons (mascot, logo, emblem, etc.) but I feel like we are on a never ending cycle of asking for change and we are never going to make everyone happy. At some point we have to stick with what we have for a while to develop brand awareness and fan attachment. If we keep changing things, we will never get there.