Tournament(s) Discussion

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I understand people's issues about various icons (mascot, logo, emblem, etc.) but I feel like we are on a never ending cycle of asking for change and we are never going to make everyone happy. At some point we have to stick with what we have for a while to develop brand awareness and fan attachment. If we keep changing things, we will never get there.

That's why I just want to change it one more time--to all the things that I like

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think there is a post in the hate thread about my hate for our logos that are not recognizable to anyone....like the quill-M by itself. We really need to invest in a branding company to clean all this up.

I didnt realize the CBI, which UNCW just won in double OT over Midd Tenn, was a 16 team, 4-day, event in Daytona Beach.

Also saw a report that MSG may not be hosting the NIT final four the next two years. Vegas or Butler might host. Vegas is really becoming a college hoops home. They host a punch of conference tournaments in March as well as some Nov and Dec events.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Stranger: “So does your kid play Upward?”
Me: “What do you mean?”
Stranger: “I thought that was an Upward shirt.”

True story

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was in Milwaukee last weekend for the tournament and went to the 1st and 2nd sessions on Friday. Marquette is located in downtown Milwaukee.... city campus that's like vcu... in/near the ghetto. I had no idea.... thought it was in the suburbs. All the Wisconsin fans were making fun of the school and think its crappy... I said oh.... that's identical to what we think of vcu.

Talked with some Marquette alumni.... they agreed and stated their school was not that great, easy option being from Milwaukee/secondary school. They have also soured on Kolek. They liked Kolek in the beginning but things have changed saying he is too inconsistent and prefer another starting PG.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Was thinking about how Saint Peter's run has earned the MAAC a lot of extra $$$ they weren't expecting.
But Monmouth, who is leaving for the CAA in a few months, won't get a dime of that money. So not only does the MAAC make more money than usual, but the 10 remaining MAAC schools will get a bigger portion of the pie with Monmouth leaving. Bad timing by Monmouth.....

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Was thinking about how Saint Peter's run has earned the MAAC a lot of extra $$$ they weren't expecting.
But Monmouth, who is leaving for the CAA in a few months, won't get a dime of that money. So not only does the MAAC make more money than usual, but the 10 remaining MAAC schools will get a bigger portion of the pie with Monmouth leaving. Bad timing by Monmouth.....

I saw it’s like 860k a year for a number of years or something like that

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I saw it’s like 860k a year for a number of years or something like that
Here's an espn story on the $$$...doesn't look like the MAAC has a plan in place for distributing the money.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I guess since there is no Gonzaga, Arizona, UCLA, Miami, and probably no Saint Peter's in the Final 4 I'll root for Villanova.

May have to find a bunker here in North Carolina. Looking like it'll be Duke vs UNC for the *first time ever* in an NCAA tournament. Crazy.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
The fix is in...the NCAA got the Duke/UNC final four matchup they wanted. Duke will get a call every time one of their shooters does that stupid leg kick out thing Coach K fuses into their game. That way, Coach K gets to "avenge" their last home loss and everyone gets what they wanted: another Duke Championship.

Only fitting for Coach K, a man who is definitely about teaching and making kids better and definitely isn't in this for his ego.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
One random observation from the final four: the Superdome is a human tragedy waiting to happen. While, technically, there are many exits out of the building, they all lead to a narrow path that circles the building and there is a single bottleneck that everyone has to go through to get away from the building. It took me at least 30 minutes to get 100 feet away from the building both nights. If anything ever happens during an event here where people need to be evacuated, I fear either people won't make it out or the many will get trampled.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
One random observation from the final four: the Superdome is a human tragedy waiting to happen. While, technically, there are many exits out of the building, they all lead to a narrow path that circles the building and there is a single bottleneck that everyone has to go through to get away from the building. It took me at least 30 minutes to get 100 feet away from the building both nights. If anything ever happens during an event here where people need to be evacuated, I fear either people won't make it out or the many will get trampled.
I like how you told us you went to the Final Four without actually telling us you went to the Final Four

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I like how you told us you went to the Final Four without actually telling us you went to the Final Four
I thought you would have already figured that out from my posts about watching Schwartz win the 3x3U championship.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I went to the Final Four once, too...but that was long ago...
This was first one since Mason went in 06. I liked the experience/excitement of being there live, but, in my opinion they have ruined the fan experience overall by moving it into the football arenas. The 06 was still using the half arena setup (I think that was the last year) and that was better than this one that used the full arena. But, if fans are still willing to pay for it, I guess they have no reason to stop doing it.