Today

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
is a real big day for the future of Mason Hoops. Hopefully Cabrera fires Hewitt and Tom O'Connor by 9:00 am.

I've already done my part by pulling my donation unless those two changes are made. I know many of you have already done the same.

This season was an absolute embarrassment. I hope heads roll today. I really do.

We need a countdown clock. 21 minutes to D-day for the two D-bags!!!!

smccart5

Starter
Today I am extremely proud of the Alumni association. The event at the brooklyn academy of music was very well put together. I am happy to see they are setting a solid foundation for when out team is good.

Also, I saw a lot of signs that the school sees the importance in a good basketball team for the success of our school. Not only did Cabrera speak about it yesterday at the event, but the administration also invested in sending the ENTIRE pep band (even those who did not play at the game) to the tournament so they can spend the next couple of days on recruiting trips to high schools in the New York area.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Today I am extremely proud of the Alumni association. The event at the brooklyn academy of music was very well put together. I am happy to see they are setting a solid foundation for when out team is good.

Also, I saw a lot of signs that the school sees the importance in a good basketball team for the success of our school. Not only did Cabrera speak about it yesterday at the event, but the administration also invested in sending the ENTIRE pep band (even those who did not play at the game) to the tournament so they can spend the next couple of days on recruiting trips to high schools in the New York area.

That is all great stuff, seriously, but we will know for sure whether Cabrera truly "gets" the importance of Mason's basketball program once we see what he's going to do with the coach.

If Hewitt returns for next season, it will tell us everything we need to know.

KAOriginal

All-American
He's here one more year.

TOC allowed the women's coach to dismiss all 3 of this years freshman (Porters recruits) because they aren't A10 caliber. Which is outside the Mason norm of forcing kids out.

I imagine the same leeway will be granted to Hewitt in some capacity for his make or break season next year.

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I imagine the same leeway will be granted to Hewitt in some capacity for his make or break season next year.

The only reason I am remotely intrigued by next season is the unknown. I'm assuming that the only players definitely returning are Copes, Holloway, Marko, Jenkins, Moore and Royal. We currently have four recruits coming in, so that would give us 10 scholarship players.

If my math and assumptions about Okoloji, Gray and Edward are correct, that leaves us three open scholarships to fill with any combination of incoming freshmen, JUCOs, transfers and 5th-year seniors. In other words, next year's team will look nothing like this year's — with the obvious exception of having the same coach if he returns (admittedly a HUGE exception).

My personal hope is that Gray returns and earns a lot of minutes, but I wouldn't blame him at all if he bolts for greener pastures. If last night was indeed his last in a Mason uniform, I was proud to see him cheering on the bench for his teammates. Vaughn is definitely a class act and deserved a better opportunity here.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
He's here one more year.

TOC allowed the women's coach to dismiss all 3 of this years freshman (Porters recruits) because they aren't A10 caliber. Which is outside the Mason norm of forcing kids out.

That's a BS comparison. With the three seniors leaving, Hewitt will be responsible for signing every player on our 2014-15 roster. If anyone needs to be "dismissed," it's him.

EDIT: But I wouldn't be surprised to see Hewitt blame the players in an attempt to save his own skin. It's how he rolls, apparently.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
He's here one more year.

This should of been done in his first year. Too late now. Next season is not make or break. The past 3 have been break. He just needs to go.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I believe that nearly everyone on this board would like to see Hewitt's contract terminated ASAP. But, after just 1 losing season, I just don't see it happening.
But it isn't just after one losing season. He underperformed in the first two. And he has failed to recruit at a higher level - his one selling point.

If UNCW can eat a $1M buyout then we should be able to. No one can seriously think he can turn this sinking ship around.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
But it isn't just after one losing season. He underperformed in the first two. And he has failed to recruit at a higher level - his one selling point.

If UNCW can eat a $1M buyout then we should be able to. No one can seriously think he can turn this sinking ship around.

You're preaching to the choir. I'm just saying that I don't believe he will be fired now.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
You're preaching to the choir. I'm just saying that I don't believe he will be fired now.
I know I am, but no one should be allowed to say it can't be done. It must be done. One more year and he will completely destroy this program.