The official I'm done thread

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Not a joke - true story. Heckling players during FT's much more enjoyable too.

Except when your heckling almost gets the life choked out of you by 6-8, 250-pound JMU power forward Jeff Chambers.

BTW, off topic, but did anybody know that Jeff Chambers is the biological father of Va. Tech QB Logan Thomas?

Small world.

Scythe

Starter
Agreed. If you're even posting on here about a team, I think it's clear you care about them and are a fan. Fans come in all varieties, some will come and go based on success, others won't. I think it's clear we're all frustrated that we're on the current trajectory that we're on -- but there's really no reason to start flaming each other over it.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm a relatively new fan, as Ive only been a Mason fan since I came to campus in 2003 and had to explain "No I don't go to James Madison or George Washington" and got weird looks.

The Pat Center was extremely quiet once Dayton went on their run last night. It was extremely disappointing,and disheartening. In terms of being done, I will never turn my back on the program or team. Everyone has their own definitions of what they need to do and I respect that. If that means just watching on TV, coming on Saturdays, picking and choosing, whatever. I did leave early last night (for the first time) as did my friend. I am in training this week and not feeling well, and so there was enough justification for me to get a chance for some extra rest. Regardless of such, I will continue to watch and go to every game and continue to donate and drag friends to games. While I may not donate as much as I did this year, I don't feel one bad year (yes thats debatable, but regardless) is enough for me to remove myself from a place where I have so many fond memories of beating JMU, ODU, vcu, rushing the ct, laughing with friends etc. It would take drastic measures for me to stop coming to games or watching.

With that being said, I hope many of you decide to continue supporting in some way shape or form, whether Hewitt is the answer or not and that includes if Mason goes 0-16 (gulp) in the A-10 this year.

Thats my .02. Nothing new to those who know me either from the past, recently from here, going to games or twitter or whatever but I felt the need to share.

Last edited:
We used to go
Except when your heckling almost gets the life choked out of you by 6-8, 250-pound JMU power forward Jeff Chambers.

BTW, off topic, but did anybody know that Jeff Chambers is the biological father of Va. Tech QB Logan Thomas?

Small world.

Someone told me that last year...IT BLEW MY F###ING MIND!!!

Glad their family abandoned basketball. It wasn't for them.

Maybe this is the year Thomas REALLY IMPROVES

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I will coach for free. If don't win any a10 games, I'll pay the school $675k. If I win even one game, I'll still coach for free for one year.

Patriotfan49

Starter
ITS COMING...SALARY CAEPERNICK!!!!

Paraag Maranthe......hell get all our studs locked into reasonable deals, dont you worry lol.

Plus it was convienant that Aldon had his little law tussle, Crabs was hurt and Kaep had a so so year....if they all blew up this year no way we keep them all. But with the current situation, well figure it out.

Last edited:

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
You dont attend the games..... you are a bandwagon fan? So since I do, does that mean Im a bigger fan than you?

So let me get this straight, first you call me out for questioning people's "fan hood" (which I didn't do - I actually said I understand if people stop attending games), and then your gonna call out my "fan hood" because I live half way across the country?

My mind is blown.

corpkid

Four-star Recruit
When you have the only basketball program in the nation without a mens or womens conference win...things tend to get emotional quickly. That's normal.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not ready to call the women's coach a bust yet - I think she deserves a couple years first to do her thing.

As for Hewitt, that's another story. Not having the team ready last night after the strong showing in St Louis is a head scratcher. Major changes need to occur this off-season.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I would if I owned a piece of the company, met my wife at the company, made lifelong friends while at the company and turned my time at the company into a nice living.

This. If you sell your stake in the company, you no longer have a right to demand accountability.

OP
p8triotfan4life

p8triotfan4life

Starter
this should be the better title of the thread.

I think at least two choices need to happens below.

Choice A-Fire, Hewitt, Hire New Head Coach
Choice B-Allow TOC to resign on his own terms, Hire New Athletic Director
Choice C-Keep Hewitt, fire the entire staff even at risk of losing Erik Copes who has been a major disappointment his first three years
Choice D-Entirely re-shape roster (allow Vaughn Gray, AOK, Corey Edwards to transfer)
Choice E-Hire a director of corporate fundraising-sell naming rights to arena, build practice facility, baseball field, etc.- a big strategic thinker/doer

R

rockster

Spectator
This may be extreme but just thought of some down the road scenarios. Let's start with the effect of losing all the rest of our games this year and the pressure it puts on TOC and El Presidente to do something. Knowing how cheap Mason is, probably just some "we are in transition" rhetoric and do nothing. But alas a problem, folks are pissed off and less donations, fewer season tickets, and the program now becomes under financed. Most important question is what is the effect on the university in terms of incoming freshmen, negative publicity, etc. OK, that means some tough decisions have to be made. So hear is my theory:

1. fire Hewitt, take the financial hit, hire a young hungry coach, and hope for the best with recruiting. Yes, we will probably lose the incoming commits we currently have, and who knows maybe Jalen Jenkins jumps ship. Chances of a winning record are slim.
Probability 10%. Mason just won't take the financial hit.

2. Keep Hewitt, and hope he miraculously turns things around with the new commits coming in. No amount of incoming two and three star freshman are going to turn the program around. Who's is going to score with Allen/wright gone? In the meantime the university gets fewer season tickets, becomes less attractive to incoming freshmen, loss of revenue, and most likely another 20 loss season. This just makes matters even worse. Probability 20%

3. Here is a radical outcome. The university is taking such negative publicity, loss of revenue, fewer students coming to Mason, in house fighting, firing of Hewitt and or TOC, a big mess. El Presidente steps in and says the following, " For the betterment of GMU and all our loyal fans over the years , we are going to suspend our basketball operations for two years in order to rebuild/reorganize with the right people for a winning program. This means Hewitt, TOC are gone and we will take this time to search for the correct candidate and re-sell our university to prospects. This financially allows the university to amortize Hewitt/TOC contract over two more years. While this is a difficult outcome to swallow it does at least temporarily take the negatives away, and allows GMU to continue as an institution of higher learning without the shadow of a losing basketball program. Probability more than 20%. Not easy to accept but hey, anything is possible.

Unfortunately we are on a downward spiral and who knows where this is going . but when you separate the emotional from the practical it does put a lot of pressure on the University President, and after all, his main responsibility is to the well being of the University and its students.

Patriotfan49

Starter
So let me get this straight, first you call me out for questioning people's "fan hood" (which I didn't do - I actually said I understand if people stop attending games), and then your gonna call out my "fan hood" because I live half way across the country?

My mind is blown.

Then you missed to getting it straight. Allow me to help you.

It was hyperbole, Gunnie. Since somebody seems "sensitive" about it, Im sorry but you were calling into light peoples fanhood.....calling people you dont know bandwagon, fickle, fairweather fans (in multiple threads and multiple people have replied to you about it) because they see things different than you, and yes even caveating it with "I wouldnt blame you" is judging and questioning peoples commitment. (Mulitple people have had an issue with you about that lately....)

The point was, since you dont make it to games to "support" the team....are you a bandwagon fan too in your own eyes? To which I would say is not the case at all...

Last edited: