The Official Dave Paulsen and Brad Edwards Speculation Thread

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
G
I'd prefer someone that knows the business of college athletics; how to evaluate a Coach, balance the needs of programs w/a limited budget, how to fundraise, familiarity w/NCAA rules what a successful athletic department looks like and how it's structured , etc. etc. etc.
Certainly being familiar with NCAA rules is important. No doubt, fundraising is a top priority. No way to judge if an up and coming AD will be good at picking a new HC.

Ultimately we need an innovator in this time of change. The same old AD mindset isn’t going to get us where we want to be. Business chops and local business connections are important in today’s AD environment. Having said that, we are likely to get an assistant AD from a P6 school and likely a DEI box checker.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Ultimately we need an innovator in this time of change. The same old AD mindset isn’t going to get us where we want to be. Business chops and local business connections are important in today’s AD environment.
I don't disagree, but I don't see why that's mutually exclusive from someone who has actual experience in the field that they're trying to run. In fact, I would argue that innovation would be harder for someone trying to simultaneously learn what they don't know.

As for local business connections, I'm not especially concerned about that. I'll take skill-sets over a large rolodex. The latter can be picked up a lot quicker than the former.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't disagree, but I don't see why that's mutually exclusive from someone who has actual experience in the field that they're trying to run. In fact, I would argue that innovation would be harder for someone trying to simultaneously learn what they don't know.

As for local business connections, I'm not especially concerned about that. I'll take skill-sets over a large rolodex. The latter can be picked up a lot quicker than the former.

One concept is that the AD focuses on men and women's BBall
Associate AD's handle the non revenue sports

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It be wise to get an AD who has experience funding and building a new stadium.

Georgia St built a new stadium recently, might be worth looking at their AD.

KAOriginal

All-American
As I said in another thread, there are certain criteria that Mason/Washington will put at the forefront of this hire before we get to all the other usual AD aspects everyone on here is looking for.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Jmu and Davidson AD have to manage football which Brad didn't. I think we pay decent for a non football school. Always could be better.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
276D26D8-0EC4-437C-8DFB-B2596AC75DE7.jpeg

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
G

Certainly being familiar with NCAA rules is important. No doubt, fundraising is a top priority. No way to judge if an up and coming AD will be good at picking a new HC.

Ultimately we need an innovator in this time of change. The same old AD mindset isn’t going to get us where we want to be. Business chops and local business connections are important in today’s AD environment. Having said that, we are likely to get an assistant AD from a P6 school and likely a DEI box checker.
We need a quick boost to athletic fundraising - I would take someone who was marginal understanding of the rules but had "pictures" and "videos" on local politicians and a copy Ghislaine Maxwell's little black book to loosen the grip on funds and make some serious investments.