The Official Dave Paulsen and Brad Edwards Speculation Thread

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Want to debate whether Dave gets extended? Lame Ducked? Want to debate how long Brad will stay under Dr. Washington?

Discuss it here!

Last edited by a moderator:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
correct me if I am wrong but hasn't every athletics team other than track and field gotten exponentially worse over Edwards tenure? most people only care about basketball (and we are not very good there) but I thought our other sports seem to be in really rush shape as well

KAOriginal

All-American
Due to budget impacts...I can see alot of "lame ducks" more than would be considered or tolerated in college sports. Unless you are "marquis" program with funds....I would think the tendency would be to not renew contracts and just find a replacement.

I would expect Edwards to leave on his own sooner rather than later, allowing Washington to pursue a candidate of diversity as we continue on the image purification program of Mason.

Depending on timing, Paulsen not retained as his contract expires. It's not as if we are doing well in recruiting and need to "hold guys in the pipeline."

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
correct me if I am wrong but hasn't every athletics team other than track and field gotten exponentially worse over Edwards tenure? most people only care about basketball (and we are not very good there) but I thought our other sports seem to be in really rush shape as well

Not really...almost all of the women's teams have been pretty bad for at least 20 years (exception for women's Lacrosse, which competes decently well). I'd say the women's Basketball team used to be much worse in the late 90s/early 2000s than they are right now. Men's volleyball is about where it's always been, some years better than others. Men's swimming and diving won the A-10 championship in 2020.

I would just as soon get rid of Tennis and golf so I really don't care what they're doing.

Wrestling hasn't done all that much lately, but they seem to have a ton of support and now that ODU and a few other schools eliminated the sport, maybe they'll reap some benefit?

Men's soccer just got a new coach, who is fairly legendary in college. We'll see if he still wants to actually compete at the D1 level.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Due to budget impacts...I can see alot of "lame ducks" more than would be considered or tolerated in college sports.

I would expect Edwards to leave on his own sooner rather than later, allowing Washington to pursue a candidate of diversity as we continue on the purification program.

From there, depending on timing, Paulsen will be replaced.

I think someone said, if you get an up and coming assistant coach you can probably break even on Paulsen's contract considering how little his buyout clause is with only one year left on his contract. Give them three years to prove themselves and pay them handsomely if they succeed.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
It'll be $200k to dump him after this season. I fully expect Mason to do so if he has another failed season. It is only 1/5th of what it cost us to dump hewitt.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think someone said, if you get an up and coming assistant coach you can probably break even on Paulsen's contract considering how little his buyout clause is with only one year left on his contract. Give them three years to prove themselves and pay them handsomely if they succeed.

I said this! If you do the math, with one year left on his deal it's really not hard to break even on cutting ties with him, especially if you go after a guy moving up and you give him an incentive laden contract with the understanding that you'll need to restructure before or after year 2 depending on performance.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We can also save an extra 100k by cutting Darrell Green out of the Mason jobs program. He has done absolutely nothing for the AD that I can see. I've seen and heard him on about 5 interviews since he's been an employee at Mason and he has never once mentioned the school or the program. It's honestly a little bit disgusting and blatant fraud, waste, and abuse.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You have to judge Brad on his hires; thus far his two biggest hires are Paulsen and Green. We all know how they have turned out. The only way he can redeem himself there is being the guy to admit fault and move on from them. If we end up where we all think we're going to end up this year, and Paulsen stays, then I want to see Washington completely clean house at the AD and get rid of all 3 of them. I'd be fine with Brad staying if he's able to try to right the ship after this season.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
How is Darrel Green one of his biggest hires? Men's soccer coach, LiL Dave, are his biggest. One can't recruit while the other just started. But I expect he will struggle to recruit soccer players as well.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not really...almost all of the women's teams have been pretty bad for at least 20 years (exception for women's Lacrosse, which competes decently well). I'd say the women's Basketball team used to be much worse in the late 90s/early 2000s than they are right now. Men's volleyball is about where it's always been, some years better than others. Men's swimming and diving won the A-10 championship in 2020.

I would just as soon get rid of Tennis and golf so I really don't care what they're doing.

Wrestling hasn't done all that much lately, but they seem to have a ton of support and now that ODU and a few other schools eliminated the sport, maybe they'll reap some benefit?

Men's soccer just got a new coach, who is fairly legendary in college. We'll see if he still wants to actually compete at the D1 level.
men's and women's soccer plus baseball used to be really damn good most of the time I was in school. They all seem to suck now... I would say those are the two other most important sports to a college like ours.

Had no idea about Swimming and Diving that's great news

Agree on cutting tennis and golf plus women lacrosse

Hopefully the new mens soccer coach can right the ship. NOVA and DMV are hotbeds for great soccer talent (played against them in ODP in high school and they kicked my a**).

Regardless other than Swimming and Track it seems we are in rough shape athletics wise

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How is Darrel Green one of his biggest hire? Men's soccer coach, LiL Dave, are his biggest. One can't recruit while the other just started. But expect he will struggle to recruit soccer players as well.
because Darrell makes more than 90% of our athletic coaches lol... supposed to come in and make our donors panties wet.... while money hasn't seemed to go to athletics and specifically basketball recently with higher donation. Insider in AD tells me he comes to the office once a month and only shows up to games... sounds like a friend getting broken off $100k to do jack to me

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
because Darrell makes more than 90% of our athletic coaches lol... supposed to come in and make our donors panties wet.... while money hasn't seemed to go to athletics and specifically basketball recently with higher donation. Insider in AD tells me he comes to the office once a month and only shows up to games... sounds like a friend getting broken off $100k to do jack to me

Took the words out of my mouth. I don't know this to be true, but I'm assuming that Green makes more than all of the coaches outside of the basketball staff.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I was reffering to coaching hires. Who cares how Mason lets Brad waste their money. We as fans can't control Admin hires. Coaching hires under Brad have been pretty anemic with little to no results. I guess he hires based on the agency he hires to do a search for him. So maybe we should outsource the AD position as well since he just passes the responsibilt on to someone else anyways.

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We can also save an extra 100k by cutting Darrell Green out of the Mason jobs program. He has done absolutely nothing for the AD that I can see. I've seen and heard him on about 5 interviews since he's been an employee at Mason and he has never once mentioned the school or the program. It's honestly a little bit disgusting and blatant fraud, waste, and abuse.
Agree totally!!

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I was reffering to coaching hires. Who cares how Mason lets Brad waste their money. We as fans can't control Admin hires. Coaching hires under Brad have been pretty anemic with little to no results. I guess he hires based on the agency he hires to do a search for him. So maybe we should outsource the AD position as well since he just passes the responsibilt on to someone else anyways.

Lol because for some of us that is our money, that we donated to the AD. I’d like to see the money well spent. The roughly half a million dollars we’ve given Green could have bought a few things by now.

By that logic then why care about any hires, including coaching or the AD? We as fans certainly don’t get any say in those either. Our only recourse is to voice discontent or donate enough money to get in the room to help make decisions, and I don’t play the lottery.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

And if his salary is paid by the state instead of patriot club then the whole damn state of Virginia should be pissed.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Obviously speculating, but in my opinion BE was hired to either bring football to
Mason or to shut down the possibility of football. Football is clearly off the table. Our flagship athletics program is a joke. So why keep BE at this point.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We have, like some corporations, the chance to fire some people due to covid. If we aren't going to fire Green now, it may never happen.