The George Mason Basketball Experience

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Hopefully next season I'll get an Offer (with a capital "O") from Mason for a one-day, full athletic scholarship to attend the event. I have plenty of NCAA eligibility remaining. I know that my 3¼" vertical will be an enormous asset to the team. I wonder what NIL deal, I'll get (I can definitely use the $$$)? Perhaps I'll sell official Jack Strop jock straps with my logo on it—used only once!

Last edited:

patriotchild

Starter
Was a great event, especially for the first go at it. Makes me remember how much I loved playing organized basketball and all that goes into playing at a high level.

There’s a lot of opportunities to make this an elite event if there’s sustained interest. The name plates on lockers and the trophy were little things but necessary to make it feel even more personal.

The dinner and accessibility of the staff after was awesome too. Had a great conversation with Felton about recruiting and how facilities and the portal are impacting the landscape.

Also think it could be cool for the program to run regular an alumni pickup games. Or if this is already a side thing, I want in.

Again, just floored with everyone from the program who came out and gave their time on a Saturday and how they were really into it. It all seemed genuine. Totally get the comments recruits make about it feeling like “family.”

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I thought this was the coolest thing the program has ever put on.

Everyone talked about the little touches but that really made this feel like a professional production, but it was spot on. It was incredibly cool walking into the locker room and having a locker assigned with all of your gear laid out and a pretty nice name plate attached to the locker itself. The fact that they had a legit trophy made that they will be displaying in the Mason basketball trophy case with the names of the winners year by year is a really cool idea. When you walked out onto the court they had all the screens displaying the George Mason Experience which was a nice touch. They hooked everyone up with full on practice jerseys and gave out some T shirts and a pretty nice golf polo to take home with you.

The entire staff brought an absolute insane amount of energy that really made the difference. For events like these with a bunch of grown a** men and women with varying levels of familiarity with each other -- it can be awkward or stale if the staff running the program isn't all in. From the time you walked on the court till the end they were going full tilt which really made it more fun. It felt like they were actually coaching which was pretty cool.

The film session was well done and some of the side conversations they went on about how they give players film, and some of the phrases and little language they use on the court to make things quicker to understand was pretty interesting.

The interaction with the players and the alum during the drills and tournament was awesome. Some of the teams had Felton and Simp drawing up some nice simple plays which I thought was pretty cool, and hilarious to watch some of our execution. We got our scouting report before the 3rd place game and Folarin Campbell identified your very own Jollay as the work horse of their team -- I wanted to correct him to say he was more similar to a burro drinking 3 day old beer outside of a Tijuana whore house but this was a family event.

Like some other folks mentioned the access to the staff was awesome. Heard alot of people asking really good questions about the program and the landscape of college basketball in general. I wasn't able to hang around for the green room after but I walked through and the food looked really good and I imagine the staff hung around for a bit.

This would be a really cool thing to attend even for a casual Mason fan to attend. Being able to play a few games in EBA was really cool and I liked seeing the arena from a different perspective. If you are a die hard Mason fan -- this event is an absolute must attend moving forward. Interacting with the players and staff at something like this is something you can't get anywhere else.

I just wish there was better attendance -- I think they were anticipating alot more folks signing up. Doing stuff like this can really help you get a better feel for the program and staff and understand what they are trying to build here.

The athletic trainer def. deserved player of the day yesterday, folks were dropping left and right. They need to make the T shirt next year say "I Survived The George Mason Experience".

Overall really enjoyed it and hope they keep doing it. This was my first time playing actual basketball in about 5 years -- made me remember how much I like playing it. If anyone does get some sort of GMU Old Man's Beer League together I'd totally be in for it.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
We got our scouting report before the 3rd place game and Folarin Campbell identified your very own Jollay as the work horse of their team -- I wanted to correct him to say he was more similar to a burro drinking 3 day old beer outside of a Tijuana whore house but this was a family event.
LMAO.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If this does become an annual event they need to over-emphasize that everyone is welcome even if you aren’t playing ball. I know that was explained in the marketing material, but willing to bet turnout was lower than it could’ve been because folks felt like they’d stand out like a sore thumb if they couldn’t participate in the drills and games.

Given the age of our fan base, I think there are probably many people who’d gladly drop $300 for an insider’s view of the program but aren’t physically able to play even at quarter-speed anymore.

Based on everyone’s positive reviews, hoping they do it again next year and the numbers justify the staff’s time.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If this does become an annual event they need to over-emphasize that everyone is welcome even if you aren’t playing ball. I know that was explained in the marketing material, but willing to bet turnout was lower than it could’ve been because folks felt like they’d stand out like a sore thumb if they couldn’t participate in the drills and games.

Given the age of our fan base, I think there are probably many people who’d gladly drop $300 for an insider’s view of the program but aren’t physically able to play even at quarter-speed anymore.

Based on everyone’s positive reviews, hoping they do it again next year and the numbers justify the staff’s time.
I agree here. Or at least participate in games not drills etc. Hopefully word gets out about how fun it was, and more folks show up. Maybe they can pick a date further ahead and promote it during the year.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
2022GeorgeMasonExperience.jpg

Proud of all you guys who participated! I'm really hoping this becomes an annual thing. No filter on this photo - Jollay's head really does glow like that! ;)

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Sad that such a inclusive and diverse university could make no accomodation for those of us that identify as "physically not present."
LOL. Did you ask? They carved out an accommodation for me and I identify as "Physically unable". You can even see me photo bombing the shoot in the very back middle in HoopsAdmin's pic.

KAOriginal

All-American
LOL. Did you ask? They carved out an accommodation for me and I identify as "Physically unable". You can even see me photo bombing the shoot in the very back middle in HoopsAdmin's pic.

In this day and age people like me shouldn't have to ask!!!

However I did....and once I secondarily identified as "financially unviable".....I was put on hold....and no one ever came back.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
One tidbit I didn't mention yet. This may be a captain obvious moment, but I'll post it anyways.

We as fans frequently only look at the outcome of a play to decide if it was good. If the ball goes in the basket (when we are on offense) it is good, if not it was bad. The message has been coming across for a while from the coaches, but one thing that was brought home to me at the George Mason Experience in the film review and in talking with the coaches was that whether the ball goes in the basket or not is irrelevant to them, at least in determining if the play was executed well. They really couldn't care much less. They trust the percentages. They want the play executed well. If the game plan is followed and shots are taken as taught, we will win, or else the coaches will take full blame for a bad game plan.

Obviously it comes down to putting the ball in the basket and scoring more points than our opponent, but I like their unwavering focus on getting the play executed right (regardless of outcome) and taking their preferred shots in the preferred timeline. Ultimately, that should lead to us getting more points than the opponent.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
One tidbit I didn't mention yet. This may be a captain obvious moment, but I'll post it anyways.

We as fans frequently only look at the outcome of a play to decide if it was good. If the ball goes in the basket (when we are on offense) it is good, if not it was bad. The message has been coming across for a while from the coaches, but one thing that was brought home to me at the George Mason Experience in the film review and in talking with the coaches was that whether the ball goes in the basket or not is irrelevant to them, at least in determining if the play was executed well. They really couldn't care much less. They trust the percentages. They want the play executed well. If the game plan is followed and shots are taken as taught, we will win, or else the coaches will take full blame for a bad game plan.

Obviously it comes down to putting the ball in the basket and scoring more points than our opponent, but I like their unwavering focus on getting the play executed right (regardless of outcome) and taking their preferred shots in the preferred timeline. Ultimately, that should lead to us getting more points than the opponent.
in the field of Decision Analysis this is known as Good Decision vs Good Outcome
it extends to multiple other fields, including compensation

In the first Top Gun call sign Charlie says even though Maverick defeated the bandit he did it wrong and that pisses him off and he speeds off but then he ends up banging her but then she gets so fat and old that they cant bring her back for the sequel.

Also in the 80's a less talented and less attractive figure skater sabotaged a rivals knee to gain a competitive advantage.

Thats exactly what I plan to do to 99 Patriot next year so his team of overrated hacks don't repeat.