St. Mary's game thread

Bricker

Starter
The D this tournament was way better than it has been. REALLY needed this win, any win. Good Job, Mason!!!!
Well, we're gonna need good defense this year, that's for sure. Like clockwork, this team only puts up 65-67 points per game again.

Point totals, last five games:

66, 66, 67, 54 (outlier), 65.

Uncanny. Gotta find something that works soon on the offensive side to keep me off A-10 suicide watch.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
When we have a few days to look back on this tournament, I think we'll realize a lot of good things came out of it. Going 1-2 is obviously not great, but we faced three very good teams out there — all of which had different styles and strengths. Hopefully, our players and coaches learn from what we did right and wrong over those three games.

We still have a long way to go offensively, but I really thought we made some strides defensively. Playing mostly zone helped us limit Iowa State and Oregon State to 20+ points below their season averages but it was our man defense today that made a difference down the stretch.

Anyway, nice to end the trip on a positive note. Merry Christmas, everyone!

Bricker

Starter
When we have a few days to look back on this tournament, I think we'll realize a lot of good things came out of it. Going 1-2 is obviously not great, but we faced three very good teams out there — all of which had different styles and strengths. Hopefully, our players and coaches learn from what we did right and wrong over those three games.

We still have a long way to go offensively, but I really thought we made some strides defensively. Playing mostly zone helped us limit Iowa State and Oregon State to 20+ points below their season averages but it was our man defense today that made a difference down the stretch.

Anyway, nice to end the trip on a positive note. Merry Christmas, everyone!

Yeah, I gotta admit, it's good to look at a box score and see some of the progress. Johnny in double-digits and Moore getting the start with Corey only playing 8 minutes comes to mind.

Unfortunately, I think Johnny's performance today just underscores how much this team misses Arledge this year. Another consistent offensive presence down low would make a world of difference for this team right now.

polepino

Starter

Initially, I was really downhearted and quite frankly aggravated about our record. I still am not in the best place with how we stand right now but I also did a re-analysis(sp?) about our play this year and what came to mind was the quality of opponent we've played these past five games. I mean USF, OU, Iowa St., Oregon St., SMC? One AAC, two Big XII, one Pac-12, and one WCC team all in a row. Granted that all of these aren't the cream of the crop in their respective conferences but I wonder if we would've gotten to play all these teams had we NOT moved from the CAA. That conference lineup seems like something you'd get from a BCS school playing OOC or a really low major playing a ton of away games at BCS schools.

We're still getting our feet wet representing the A10 but would it have been better to stay CAA and play five games straight of schools from the Patriot, America East, MEAC, Big South, and SoCon and maybe win all of the games, getting to 10-2, OR play the teams we just did and get our butts kicked by a few, lose closely to the rest, and maybe better prepare ourselves for conference play? Remains to be seen but maybe this WILL prepare us better.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
Is Patrick Holloway the key for George Mason moving fwd into the A 10? Averaged 15.3 PPG in 3 games in Hawaii. Shot 12-20 from 3-pt range.

I think he is one half of the key. If Holloway can continue to shoot well coupled with Sherrod finding his game again, we will be dangerous. With Allen, Holloway and Sherrod all able to fill up the stat sheet, we'll be harder to guard. We also need at least one of our forwards to show up each game, whether that's Marko, J2 or Jenkins, it doesn't matter.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I think he is one half of the key. If Holloway can continue to shoot well coupled with Sherrod finding his game again, we will be dangerous. With Allen, Holloway and Sherrod all able to fill up the stat sheet, we'll be harder to guard. We also need at least one of our forwards to show up each game, whether that's Marko, J2 or Jenkins, it doesn't matter.

One obvious concern is Sherrod. Prior to Hawaii he was a lock as a top player on this roster. I hope this was just a short - term funk and not something longer lasting. He didn't seem to be on the floor much in the key waning minutes.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I hate to say I told you so, but I don't think it's any coincidence that Holloway played much better in Hawaii when he was given significant minutes and not pulled in and out every time he made a mistake.

The kid is fearless, and while not our best athlete, I'd contend he's already our best pure scorer. He just needs to feel free to play his game -- on a team that struggles to put the ball in the bucket, Hewitt is gonna have to learn to live with him making a defensive mistake every now and then.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
I hate to say I told you so, but I don't think it's any coincidence that Holloway played much better in Hawaii when he was given significant minutes and not pulled in and out every time he made a mistake.

The kid is fearless, and while not our best athlete, I'd contend he's already our best pure scorer. He just needs to feel free to play his game -- on a team that struggles to put the ball in the bucket, Hewitt is gonna have to learn to live with him making a defensive mistake every now and then.

Kid is fearless. No doubt. My favorite player on this roster. Allen second.

MasonCrew

Starter
I hope this has been PH's coming out party. He has such an incredible ability to score that I always find myself hoping he gets a touch each possession.

This season isn't lost. It just felt like it after OSU. We have a lot of talent.

Here was a LaSalle fan's reaction to our game:

George Mason with a solid win, but I have A LOT of concerns about that team. I watched a number of there games and I swear it is a different team each time they take the floor. I understand now why George Mason fans are not happy with Hewitt, he is awful.

There is no scheme to George Mason, some really quality players on the team, they shoot well but the offense is never in sync, the defense is a hit or miss. No cohesion and it isn't because of the players it all falls on Hewitt for the most part. He agitated me more that I would have more and more as the game progressed and no one should get agitated on Christmas. I can't even go into detail about it because I could write a book. Simple fundamentals Hewitt lacks....FIRE him make a good hirer they will be a quality program.

I actually thought we moved the ball better in this tourney than we have in a while, but I understand what he's saying about out offense.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Jim, it's no great revelation that Patrick has the ability to be a great scorer, but I'm happy that he's had to earn his playing time. His offense was great in this tournament, but his defense was stellar. His intensity on that side of the ball was something we haven't seen since he got to Mason.

It says a lot about the young man that he committed himself to doing what it took to get more playing time, because we are obviously a much better team with him on the court. Now we need some of our other players to follow his lead.

Last edited:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Small inconsistent steps towards progress.Maybe by the end of feb we'll figure it out.

Harry

Starter
I just finished watching the game, without knowing the score. I then read the thread from start to finish. What a difference a win makes, as the tone of the posts changed dramatically, as did all of our attitudes about the team.

Must say, even when we were closing the game to 5 and 3 points, I never thought we would win. Mason most definitely stole that game! What a Christmas present!