Softball

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://gomason.com/news/2020/3/1/softball-mason-drops-two-games-on-sunday.aspx:

"FAIRFAX, Va. - The George Mason softball team (3-11) fell twice in their final two games of the Patriot Classic on Sunday at the George Mason Softball Complex. The Patriots fell to Radford (11-3) in five innings in the matinee game by a score of 14-0 and dropped the final game of day to Delaware (14-4) 4-2.

In the first contest, the Patriots started off the game with a leadoff walk by junior Meghan Graham. After the first batter, Mason did not earn a hit throughout the five innings.

A six-run fifth inning by the Highlanders closed the game out for Radford, who won all five of their contests over the weekend.

In the afternoon game, the Patriots and the Blue Hens were deadlocked at zero for the first five innings. Delaware eventually scored four runs in the top of the sixth to take a late-game lead.

Mason scored two runs in the final two innings but it was too little too late, suffering their 11th loss of the season."

Last edited:
OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://gomason.com/news/2020/4/15/head-softball-coach-joe-verbanic-steps-down.aspx:

"Fairfax, Va. – George Mason Assistant Vice President/Director of Athletics Brad Edwards today announced that head softball coach Joe Verbanic has stepped down from his position after 16 seasons.

Verbanic compiled an overall record of 294-469 (.385), including a 7-12 record in the 2020 shortened season.

'It is after much prayer and thought that I believe, with all my heart, that the time has come for a new direction in my life as I resign from my position at George Mason,' Verbanic said. 'I am thankful for the opportunity God provided 16 seasons ago. I express my sincerest gratitude and appreciation to all the players, coaches and colleagues who made it all possible and have been there through it all. You will always be in my heart. I thank you all and expect great things.'"

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"FAIRFAX, Va. - The George Mason softball team (17-24, 6-11 A-10) dropped both games of their doubleheader with Fordham (21-18, 10-6 A-10) on Saturday evening.

The Rams took the win in the first game of the day 2-0 before coming away with the 4-2 win in game two despite a late offensive effort from the Patriots."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

The Patriots finished the season on a 6-game winning streak, but failed to qualify for the A10 tourney which will be held at the George Mason Softball Complex. UMass and Mason were both 12-12 in the A10, but UMass earned the #6 seed on the head-to-head tiebreaker by winning 2 of 3 games vs. Mason this season.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"The extension comes after the Patriots posted their best softball record in over 20 years, won the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament for the first time and qualified to their first-ever NCAA Division I Softball Tournament."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

presason_web_sb.png

"The reigning Atlantic 10 champions, George Mason, check in at third in the preseason poll, collecting 66 total points and one first place vote. The Patriots ran through the conference tournament last season, defeating Loyola Chicago in a 10-inning classic in the championship. George Mason advanced to the Durham regional of the NCAA Tournament, narrowly falling to No. 8 Duke and Campbell. Mason is led by returning A-10 First Team selection Marlaina Bozek, who batted .307/.400/.433 with 46 hits, 10 doubles, three triples, one home run, 29 runs scored,13 RBIs and four sacrifice flies in 2023."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

PATRIOT TRIVIA​

MontgomeryUM42.jpeg

Last season, the Patriots broke numerous single-season program records, such as strikeouts pitched (360), RBI (226), home runs (27), doubles (90), stolen bases (135), walks (191), slugging percentage (.408) and fielding percentage (.977).

With 135 stolen bases, where did the Green & Gold rank nationally in that category?

TRIVIA ANSWER​

Screenshot_2024-02-08_at_9.33.05_PM.jpeg

Answer: 8th.

Only 10 schools in the country had 130+ steals in 2023 and the Patriots were one of them, ranking eighth nationally with a program record 135 stolen bases.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

EASTERN KENTUCKY (2-0) -VS- GEORGE MASON (0-1)​

Team1234567RHE
Eastern Kentucky1022000591
George Mason0000000043

GEORGE MASON (0-2) -VS- ROBERT MORRIS (1-0)​

Team12345678RHE
George Mason00020001351
Robert Morris00010102471

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

George Mason

0-4

FINAL
Eastern Kentucky

4-0
Team Names1234567RHE
George Mason0200100363
Eastern Kentucky0000202462

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"CHICAGO, Ill. – The George Mason softball team (10-19, 2-3) split their Saturday doubleheader with Loyola Chicago (13-14, 2-3) at Loyola Softball Park. The Patriots were walked off by the Ramblers 4-3 in Game One then won Game Two 12-9 in eight innings.

In similar fashion to last season's Atlantic 10 Championship game, Loyola Chicago came from behind and walked-off the Patriots in Game One, but the Patriots would win Game Two in extra innings by three runs."