Rick Pitino to Mason?

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yet... People on here complain about how our Athletic Department plays it safe and people on here moan about how they wish we had more buy in from the powers that be....

But you didn't want a high risk high reward coach. It worked for Iona and it's going to work for Saint John's.
That's the difference between me and You GMU79... I'm DESPERATE to end the droughts of 2009 and 2011.

I question whether YOU are and a lot of people on this board are.

End the safe, groupthink conservative thinking.
Swing for the fences. Aim big with this hire. Don't just pick a guy that's the "safe hire".
Don't you dare question the fandom of me or anyone else on this board!!!
We all want to win, but winning isn't worth selling your birthright for a mess of pottage, and if you think it is then you have a serious moral blindspot.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Aside from the fact that Pitino chose Iona, Iona didn’t choose Pitino; and the fact that St. John’s already hired Pitino to take over…sure let’s go out and hire Pitino.

It’s going to be Skinn or Odom, would be my guess, and I’d be happy with either one.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Uhhh guys come on.. this will never happen. Ever. We would be lucky to get Tony Skinn to take this job.

Aside from the fact that Pitino chose Iona, Iona didn’t choose Pitino; and the fact that St. John’s already hired Pitino to take over…sure let’s go out and hire Pitino.

It’s going to be Skinn or Odom, would be my guess, and I’d be happy with either one.

Missing the point.
People complain about how our athletic dept won't take risks and be aggressive and yet a lot of these same people BALKED and clutched their pearls at the MERE SUGGESTION of Pitino as Mason's coach a few years ago.
How do you expect us to WIN if we just keep playing it safe with marketing, coaching hires, gameday experience and other factors?

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Missing the point.
People complain about how our athletic dept won't take risks and be aggressive and yet a lot of these same people BALKED and clutched their pearls at the MERE SUGGESTION of Pitino as Mason's coach a few years ago.
How do you expect us to WIN if we just keep playing it safe with marketing, coaching hires, gameday experience and other factors?
I would love to have Piton come --- I just don't see him coming here. Our budget won't cover his suits.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Right and budget was a fair concern 3 years ago.
The bigger question is what are we going to do about it now so it's NOT as big of a concern 3 years from now. TIME FOR FORWARD THINKING.

You need an entire new AD --- top to bottom
Develop a business plan to get donations and capital investments
Get students and local fans into meetings to get ideas on improving attendance, interest, and game day interest.

You need an Elon Musk attitude to do things differently to leap frog established competitors.

But what you will get is a room full of old ladies who have no vision, courage, or speed to get anything other than mediocrity done.

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Uhhh guys come on.. this will never happen. Ever. We would be lucky to get Tony Skinn to take this job.
I hope Skinn would come "home" but in the event he decides to remain at Maryland and Odom goes elsewhere, who would Mason target? Duane Simpkins if he doesn't get the AU job? Scott Cherry was at High Point but I recall he was let go and not sure where he is. Just don't want it to be mid May and Mason is still searching.

He15man

Starter
I hope Skinn would come "home" but in the event he decides to remain at Maryland and Odom goes elsewhere, who would Mason target? Duane Simpkins if he doesn't get the AU job? Scott Cherry was at High Point but I recall he was let go and not sure where he is. Just don't want it to be mid May and Mason is still searching.
Mason has a few irons in the fire… all legitimately interested candidates. I don’t see this lasting that long at all.

Get students and local fans into meetings to get ideas on improving attendance, interest, and game day interest.

You need an Elon Musk attitude to do things differently to leap frog established competitors.

But what you will get is a room full of old ladies who have no vision, courage, or speed to get anything other than mediocrity done.
This g

This guy gets it.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
Sock Puppets GIF by Your Happy Workplace

He15man

Starter
Mason Athletics needs to have a killer instinct and be about winning at the end of the day. Less "nice guys who represent the university" and more sharks who can get us quality recruits, win games, and aggressively help raise NIL money.
We need a shark. Not a family man or a "nice representative" of the university. I don't care if the guy has baggage either. End the NIT and NCAA droughts. JUST WIN!
Whether you agree or not, coaches… especially of the university’s premier team… are ambassadors and faces of the school. There’s no way in hell the administration is going to hire someone that could do something stupid or embarrassing that jeopardizes what they’re trying to build up. “Win at all costs” guys like Patino, Wade, etc are not worth it long term … my two cents worth…

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If we ended up with either Simp or Cherry I’d pull my donation, neither are ready or qualified for this job.