Rick Pitino to Mason?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
MASONHOOPS.COM: How will you pay your players. Hookers or Adidas cash?
Pitno: WEll, that's a touchy subject. But we plan to do what we gotta do.

OP
P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
That’s gonna trigger some folks

I doubt it. Even the most knee pad laden homers for G Mas can see that the Gaels have been to the NCAAT 3 times as much as Patriot.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Pitino was on the Dan Patrick Show yesterday. Said he looked at three college jobs where he thought he had a legitimate shot:

Iona- close to his NYC apartment and his son lives a few miles away
Holy Cross- knows a bunch of alumni and some of the BOV
Providence (Michigan was looking at Cooley and had he left, Pitino was interested)

He was looking for smaller situation than Louisville. Looking for a Catholic school and for a school that aspired to be much better than where they are at. Said Iona's President and AD are committed to basketball and view basketball as the best vehicle to grow the school.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Pitino was on the Dan Patrick Show yesterday. Said he looked at three college jobs where he thought he had a legitimate shot:

Iona- close to his NYC apartment and his son lives a few miles away
Holy Cross- knows a bunch of alumni and some of the BOV
Providence (Michigan was looking at Cooley and had he left, Pitino was interested)

He was looking for smaller situation than Louisville. Looking for a Catholic school and for a school that aspired to be much better than where they are at. Said Iona's President and AD are committed to basketball and view basketball as the best vehicle to grow the school.
Makes sense. Private schools have more autonomy in hiring decisions.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Is Wade going to get something for his 'strong a** offer'?? Im shocked his got his job back.

Really? Why?

It's not just a major sport in a power conference but a major sport in a power conference located in Louisiana. Corruption isn't just rampant, it's an ingrained part of the culture that still revers "The Kingfish" Huey Long.

Until the NCAA forces their hand, you think the good boosters are going to give two sh!ts about paying players as long as they're winning? Shaquille O'Neal jokes about it now how much he got paid there back in the day.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Too much baggage for my blood--I wouldn't want someone like that being an ambassador for what Mason stands for . Shame on both Iona and St. John's.

We didn't have the guts to make this move then.

Iona did. They won. We didn't.

Creative/outside the box thinking works.

No thanks. Pitino is a scumbag.
I want to win, but not that at cost.

Yet... People on here complain about how our Athletic Department plays it safe and people on here moan about how they wish we had more buy in from the powers that be....

But you didn't want a high risk high reward coach. It worked for Iona and it's going to work for Saint John's.
That's the difference between me and You GMU79... I'm DESPERATE to end the droughts of 2009 and 2011.

I question whether YOU are and a lot of people on this board are.

End the safe, groupthink conservative thinking.
Swing for the fences. Aim big with this hire. Don't just pick a guy that's the "safe hire".

Too much baggage for my blood--I wouldn't want someone like that being an ambassador for what Mason stands for . Shame on both Iona and St. John's.

Mason Athletics needs to have a killer instinct and be about winning at the end of the day. Less "nice guys who represent the university" and more sharks who can get us quality recruits, win games, and aggressively help raise NIL money.
We need a shark. Not a family man or a "nice representative" of the university. I don't care if the guy has baggage either. End the NIT and NCAA droughts. JUST WIN!