Recruiting Visitors?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We will see for sure this season if Wright and Allen were simply selfish-a** ballhogs whose unwillingness to pass stifled Hewitt's offense, or whether Hewitt's system simply doesn't lend itself to ball movement and relies too much on isolations/ball screens.

For obvious reasons I hope it was the former, but I suspect it was the latter ... mostly because Hewitt's teams at GT almost never racked up big assist totals either. Better or worse, he is what he is by this point.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Passionate young alumni like me who haven't been alienated are your future lifeblood...

Incorrect.

Know-nothing pollyanna's like you will curse this program back to the pre-Larranaga conference whipping boys with your acceptance and encouragement of mediocrity. "I Believe" threads are for when you're going up against Duke, not a Cornell team that went 1-13 in the Ivy League.

True fans support the program and the players enough to want them to get a coach that doesn't take a program from the second round of the NCAA tournament to losing to Fordham in the play-in game.

I mean holy $hit, just because you root for the worst professional franchise in the US doesn't mean you should root for your college team to start mirroring that dumpster fire.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
You seem like a smart guy and this is why I don't understand why you would go to the lowest common denominator argument regarding the boogie monster that is message board posting...

As to your second paragraph, I would disagree, and point to the wild inconsistency as more of a coach issue. To me, it's insulting to guys who busted their tails for this program to insinuate they didn't have the wherewithal to succeed here. I disagree, but understand your logic. As for the last part, I wouldn't rather finish 13th than 6th, but if it's between 10th and 13th, I think it's a no brainer.

I don't think we're far off at all and I fully admit my SW/BA theory may be completely wrong. I'm just willing to see what a team without them looks like before burning down the house.

Also, I don't think I'm going to the lowest common denominator, but program aside, just look at these message boards. We've had no new blood and half the old blood has stopped visiting or at least posting. I'd suggest at least some of the reason for that is that every thread turns turns into a bit from Waldorf and Stadler of the Muppets. Admittedly losing 20 games probably turned away far more people though.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I agree with 99 Patriot that we need to be positive and see how it goes this season. Frankly, I don't believe that Hewitt is a terrible coach. If you look at his record objectively here, the Patriots have usually been very competitive and have rarely been blown out of games. The issue IMO has been the lack of consistency, specifically the failure to play good fundamental basketball for the entire game. And, this has resulted in several meltdowns including the loss to Northeastern in the 2013 CAA tourney semifinals.

I am dubious that this recurring problem will be resolved this season with the departure of Sherrod Wright and Bryon Allen. But, we need to wait and see.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Pablo is right. We also have not put teams away and or kept our foot on their throats. There were alot of games like that the past 3 years. Hopefully things are tweaked and we see it soon.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
Incorrect.

Know-nothing pollyanna's like you will curse this program back to the pre-Larranaga conference whipping boys with your acceptance and encouragement of mediocrity. "I Believe" threads are for when you're going up against Duke, not a Cornell team that went 1-13 in the Ivy League.

True fans support the program and the players enough to want them to get a coach that doesn't take a program from the second round of the NCAA tournament to losing to Fordham in the play-in game.

I mean holy $hit, just because you root for the worst professional franchise in the US doesn't mean you should root for your college team to start mirroring that dumpster fire.
So why don't you just give up? Follow someone else!

GMURaider

Sixth Man
Incorrect.

And for the record me saying it's NIT or bust isn't accepting of mediocrity when you potato heads see us winning 5 games!!!

Patriotfan49

Starter
I agree with 99 Patriot that we need to be positive and see how it goes this season. Frankly, I don't believe that Hewitt is a terrible coach. If you look at his record objectively here, the Patriots have usually been very competitive and have rarely been blown out of games. The issue IMO has been the lack of consistency, specifically the failure to play good fundamental basketball for the entire game. And, this has resulted in several meltdowns including the loss to Northeastern in the 2013 CAA tourney semifinals.

I am dubious that this recurring problem will be resolved this season with the departure of Sherrod Wright and Bryon Allen. But, we need to wait and see.

Call me a hater, but that entire first paragraph sounds like loser speak. Much like local radio stations on a Monday after the skins lose. We can nitpick about how close the loss was all we want, but it's still a loss. We've developed a losing culture, and one that even from the coaches mouth, is always "getting there". ...nobody knows when we will finally arrive, but we settle for almost. Were supposed to hold off accountability, because were almost there.....it's now year 4. If things don't work out, what's the reasoning now?

Yes the common theory is sometimes a bounce here or there alters a game, but when you are consistently in the spot to lose or almost win it means something isn't working. Eventually, a team must just win, and turn those situations around. Good teams end up on that side more than the what if side. Whether you think it was Sherrod or Allen (remember their scoring kept us in many a game) or Hewitt is debatable to some degree. But in almost every sport, discipline and consistency comes down from the top. So it's no surprise to me, to see the same aloof coach who blows timeouts consistently seconds before a tv timeout, have a team that is short on attention to detail and consistency.

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Call me a hater, but that entire first paragraph sounds like loser speak. Much like local radio stations on a Monday after the skins lose. We can nitpick about how close the loss was all we want, but it's still a loss. We've developed a losing culture, and one that even from the coaches mouth, is always "getting there". ...nobody knows when we will finally arrive, but we settle for almost. Were supposed to hold off accountability, because were almost there.....it's now year 4. If things don't work out, what's the reasoning now?

Yes the common theory is sometimes a bounce here or there alters a game, but when you are consistently in the spot to lose or almost win it means something isn't working. Eventually, a team must just win, and turn those situations around. Good teams end up on that side more than the what if side. Whether you think it was Sherrod or Allen (remember their scoring kept us in many a game) or Hewitt is debatable to some degree. But in almost every sport, discipline and consistency comes down from the top. So it's no surprise to me, to see the same aloof coach who blows timeouts consistently seconds before a tv timeout, have a team that is short on attention to detail and consistency.

Obviously, you don't understand the point that I was making. I've never said that a loss (even a close one) was acceptable. And, I've always held the coaches and players accountable.

So, I will respectfully disagree with your interpretation of my post.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Obviously, you don't understand the point that I was making. I've never said that a loss (even a close one) was acceptable. And, I've always held the coaches and players accountable.

So, I will respectfully disagree with your interpretation of my post.

It wasn't a total reply to your post but was more so to the idea of being patient forever, and finding a silver lining with every issue...that happens here a lot. Your post was more so the most recent attempt at that.

You didn't specifically state that you are ok with losses, but your "objective" look at the Hewitt record, the games and how we got there, makes me think you are very lenient on it and his true ability as a leader of our program. IMO the idea of holding accountable...isn't a "let's see what we got and be patient" this far in the tenure. So yes, we clearly have two different opinions on that.

Objectively looking at his record here, I have seen the quality of play decline, the wins decline and my faith in his ability decline each year. At this juncture, we know what we have...I'm not asking for 25 wins and NCAA run, but we shouldn't still have be patient to wait for basics and good ball in year 4...

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Come on, Patriot49, I know you love to take shots at the Skins, but it's not like your Niners are lighting the world on fire this season. I just hope Gore and Davis get their act together, because I need them to step it up for my fantasy team.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
The 49ers are currently missing more pro bowlers from their offense and defense then most pairs of teams have put together. They will be a different team the second half of the season once their OL, LB and CB's are back to full strength

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Even though this is supposed to be a thread about recruits visiting during Mason Madness, we can go ahead and talk about Hewitt again, I guess.

I think most posters who still come to these boards and have been around awhile have come to this conclusion: either Hewitt figures something out this season or he should be gone. Some might hold out hope that Hewitt can, in fact, figure some things out that have gone wrong with his offense and defense; others want Hewitt strung up and dragged through the streets of Fairfax as a warning to all future men's basketball coaches. But there is a tiny, tiny, tiny minority of posters who are naively optimistic about the upcoming season.

So I think we should all kind of lay off each other a bit, stop derailing every thread with Hewitt has ruined the team, the program, the university talk and just see if Edwards follows through on what he said when he was hired.

Paraphrased: I will communicate my expectations to all the coaches and if they do not meet those expectations, I will bring them in to discuss steps they can take to meet those expectations. If I feel they are unable to do so, I will find someone who can. (emphasis added)

Edwards at this point is the one who needs to be held accountable for what happens this season (he didn't hire Hewitt, but he can certainly pull the trigger on making a change), and the above bolded statement (paraphrased as it is) is the one we need to hold him accountable to.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Come on, Patriot49, I know you love to take shots at the Skins, but it's not like your Niners are lighting the world on fire this season. I just hope Gore and Davis get their act together, because I need them to step it up for my fantasy team.

Tom lol. It wasnt a shot at the skins, tune into the local radio stations after the Skins lose...its the same kind of things being said. OF course, this kind of thing isnt limited to them, but since we are in the DC area, and the Skins have had a tough go of late......this decade.....its developed into almost a monday ritual.

As for the Niners, you know better than that. Similar to last year, the job was to mainly stay afloat until help comes in the form of healing. Willis, Ward, Brock, Aldon, Vernon, Bowman, Mike, Anthony and more will all be back or soon back healthy after the bye for the stretch run and division games. I expect much improvement as all those guys return or return to form. With being so short handed, especially on defense, Id say 4-3 with two of those wins against some 6-1/5-1 teams, and a top 5 ranked D is pretty good for staying afloat.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
So, did we have any visiting recruits at Mason Madness?

Just throwing this out there, but I think one reason why every thread turns into a referendum on Hewitt is because of the near-total lack of information coming from the program.

Nature abhors a vacuum. When you don't really have anything to talk about, and you're struggling to muster optimism for the upcoming season, the future of our coach becomes the natural topic of discussion.

It's not just that we no longer have Thuc making bad-a** videos to get everybody pumped up, although I think that's part of what's missing. There were also posters who had ties to the former staff and could communicate interesting stuff to us.

I just can't wait for the season to start, so we can at least begin to achieve some kind of clarity as to where our program is going for better or worse. The offseason sucks.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
JR Gilbert who is a commit for 2015 was there and also Ejike Obinna who is a forward in the 2017 class was also there. Thats all I heard.

Obinna was there with a few of his teammates, including 2017 PG Shyheim Gilkerson. Not sure if Mason has any interest in him at all.